Max Tow Package - "P" rated tires only?

I was just looking over my truck build sheet and it occured to me that GM has only put "P" (passenger) rated tires on the trucks that are spected with the max trailering package. Most "P" rated tires are not meant for heavy loads and are usually only rated for around 2400lbs, where as an "LT" tire would add about another 800-1000lbs rating. Anyone else notice or concerned about this?

That's another subtle clue from GM that you should consider buiying a 2500 and 3500 series truck for serious towing. Even though they rate these 1/2 tons with the max tow package to tow quite a bit, you are still constrained by a flimsier frame, less curb weight of the tow vehicle, lighter duty brakes, etc. So they just add P tires to make the truck ride better as LT tires would worsen the ride.. Yes, it is a max tow package, but for occassional use only, not for day to day heavy hauling.

While heavier tires are desirable if you do a lot of towing, 2400 lbs is enough. It's a case of ride and mileage being more important to more buyers than more capable tires so if they're "good enough" for the payload rating they're good enough. "Subtle clues" about being "only for occasional use" is nonsense.

I also find this interesting, however tires are something that is easy to change and yes the P metric tires are rated for 2469 lbs each so all 4 will support a GVWR of 9876 lbs - which is well above the 7200 MAX GVWR. GM offers one set of LT tires for the 17" wheels.

As for the External Transmission Cooler - it is standard with the 5.3L engine - with or without the NHT Max Tow Pkg.

I also don't think anybody looking at towing a heavy trailer around all the time would be considering a 1/2T truck anyway.

I do a lot of towing. Nothing crazy, just some quads on my trailer.. on average about 5000 lbs. I didnt want the heavy duty.. main reason, they kept the 6.0. Its a dog, always has been. I wanted the 6.2 and ordered the max tow package.
the brakes are sufficient up to its weight rating, as long as you have trailer brakes in good order it isnt an issue.
The max tow package gives you the suspension upgrades and the rear end and gear ratio.
I have no concerns towing my usual 5K or towing a 12000 lb camper every day day in day out.
Its not a mini van. The cooling system is sufficient, the tranny cooler is there as well.
the 2500 is a great option, but since they decided to keep the 6.0 I had no choice.

of course this is all just my opinion. no more valid than anyone elses.

I also find this interesting, however tires are something that is easy to change and yes the P metric tires are rated for 2469 lbs each so all 4 will support a GVWR of 9876 lbs - which is well above the 7200 MAX GVWR. GM offers one set of LT tires for the 17" wheels.

As for the External Transmission Cooler - it is standard with the 5.3L engine - with or without the NHT Max Tow Pkg.

I also don't think anybody looking at towing a heavy trailer around all the time would be considering a 1/2T truck anyway.

The trans cooler is NOT standard for Non NHT trucks, MotoMedic does not have the cooler

While heavier tires are desirable if you do a lot of towing, 2400 lbs is enough. It's a case of ride and mileage being more important to more buyers than more capable tires so if they're "good enough" for the payload rating they're good enough. "Subtle clues" about being "only for occasional use" is nonsense.

Have you ever heard of "duty cycle"? That's exactly what the difference is. You can buy two air compressors with the same CFM output at certain pressure, however if one is rated for 20% duty cycle it is only designed to run intermittently, unlike a 100% duty cycle industrial unit that can run continuously without damage to the motor or the compressor pump.

The same logic applies to pickup trucks with the same tow rating. A 1/2 ton will never have the towing duty cycle of a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

I do not know of any company that does heavy towing on a daily basis ordering a fleet of 1/2 ton trucks with "maximum tow package for that purpose because the ride is softer.

Its not a mini van. The cooling system is sufficient, the tranny cooler is there as well...

Yes, the usual things--engine/tranny cooling, brakes, transmission, not to mention engine power, these things are better equipped to tow than many 3/4 tons were in years past.

Have you ever heard of "duty cycle"?

Given what I do for a living, it takes more than simple regurgitation of a term to impress me. Try demonstrating you know what the term means and how it is applicable to this conversation.

Please do describe the component failures you'd project towing within the tow rating of the trucks more often than "occasionally."

As somebody who thought these trucks were equipped with brake drums made in China, you have demonstrated you're not qualified to make any such predictions about them as you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Jon A
couldnt have said it better.
Fact of the matter, the new 14's have as much towing prowess as the last gen 2500's
the price was the same for me between the 1500 with the max tow and a 2500. the big difference for me was the 6.2 vs the 6.0
I do not understand why they didnt refresh the 6.0 I really dont. It was a dog, still is a dog. The new 5.3 has more guts than the 6.0 ever did

The issue for me is that a "p" rated tire is typically softer and when under load, will wear faster than an 8 or 10 ply LT tire. Whether I tow 5000 or 10000 lbs they are simply not going to hold up, especially in our harsh north climates where we drive in minus 30 with more than 2" of snow and the tires feel square for the first 10 miles. With no issues might I add. (Sorry had to throw that in for you southerners that have had some surprise storms as of late).

The issue for me is that a "p" rated tire is typically softer and when under load, will wear faster than an 8 or 10 ply LT tire. Whether I tow 5000 or 10000 lbs they are simply not going to hold up, especially in our harsh north climates where we drive in minus 30 with more than 2" of snow and the tires feel square for the first 10 miles. With no issues might I add. (Sorry had to throw that in for you southerners that have had some surprise storms as of late).

I am still trying to work something out with my dealer on that. Its most likely going to come with the goodyear's not what I am looking for. Hoping to get some dualer AT's on it but we shall see...

on a side note, I got my vin today so hopefully it will be on its way soon

I am still trying to work something out with my dealer on that. Its most likely going to come with the goodyear's not what I am looking for. Hoping to get some dualer AT's on it but we shall see...

on a side note, I got my vin today so hopefully it will be on its way soon

I am as well. I have never been a Goodyear fan anyways, so the slicks will be coming off and traded for a true all terrain tire.

Archived