Looking at installing new Pioneer HU in 03 Silverado

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just checked and my subscription is with Sirius XMSatelite Radio so I take it that is Sirius so I need the Pioneer Sirius Tuner. Thanks Chris, you come through again!!!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Satellite-and-HD-Radio/Satellite/SIR-PNR1

Will shop around and add to list

I would maybe call pioneer on Monday and ask so you get the correct part. Sirius and XM merged. I dont know if they sitll have 2 services

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MrEarl,

I hope you haven't bought your XM tuner yet. The SiriusXM SXV200v1 is the preferred tuner and can receive both Sirius and XM reception. I believe the older IP-BUS won't even fit the AVH-X5500BHS and is outdated. The radio has a plug for the SXV200 and will work just fine. I just install a x3500BHS in an 09 and considered the SXV200, but decided against since I listen to Pandora and iHeartRadio more.

I have been having second thoughts about purchasing an XM tuner and reactivating my Sirius subscription too. I have not had my Sirius turned on in a couple of years now but am about to start spending a lot of time in the shop as well as on the road with my newly acquired Silverado so was considering having it turned on again. I have no experience with Pandora or iHeart so am tryig to learn what they are all about. Talked with my son last weekend and he suggested holding off on getting XM until I tried Pandora. But then I thought I had rather spend $59 for the SXV200 and have it installed now than to have to go back into my dash again later if I decide I want xm. Thanks for the input regarding the SXV200. It is hard sometimes to decipher how old some of the internet information and "ads" are and what might be the most up to date "gadget" to consider.

I use to have XM Radio in my 04 Yukon with the factory navigation and a PAC iPod interface. I used the XM all the time and really liked it, but when I got my iPhone, I found myself using phone apps over XM. I also got tired of paying $200 a year to listen to the same stuff I could find on free apps. However, for $59 it may be worth it to "future proof" your radio and give you all the options. As far as Pandora/iHeartRadio goes, it really depends on what you listen to and if you have the smartphone data to handle it. The interface with the iPhone and the Pioneer is ok (haven't used Android connection). Pandora gets album art and info, iHeart works through AppRadio mode which takes some playing around with to learn the ins and outs. My wife and I share 2GB of data and I listen to both regularly for about 20-30 minutes a day on my drive to work and home and have never gone over on data. I know others may have different experiences or opinions, but if you are going with a Pioneer that features AppRadio Mode, I personally would skip SiriusXM and put an extra $10 a month toward additional smartphone data.

Thanks Chris, yea, been reading up on it. Sounds cool.

Considering adding this to the list. HEY, I only want to go into my dash ONE TIME....

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-U220

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-AVIC-U250-2YR-WRNTY-NAVIGATION-SYSTEM-FOR-SELECT-PIONEER-STEREOS-GPS-/181321898408?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item2a37a099a8&vxp=mtr

anybody have experience with it or a similar. Just trying to stay with all Pioneer.

I would agree with Chris about u250. If you use the u250, you will lose AppMode on the pioneer. You can still listen to music through the usb, but lose video and apps. If you want to keep apps and depending on your phone, there are a lot of navigation apps that are compatible with AppMode. I use MotionX drive and I get maps on the screen for $26 (.99 app/$25 for display privileges) and 9.99 a year for voice. Just something else to consider! Having just gone through the same decisions recently, I understand how easy it is to go around in circles trying to figure out what to get!

The 250 gets rid of app mode or the 220? App mode also depends on the phone you use. Pioneer works well for iPhones but hit and miss for android depending on model

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I incorrectly listed the 220 as the one I am looking into. the 250 in the second link I referenced is the one on eBay that I am considering. But now, and I know you'll hate to hear this but considering all the $$ I would have in the Pioneer HU and the Nav I am starting to look at Nav units.

Having just gone through the same decisions recently, I understand how easy it is to go around in circles trying to figure out what to get!

You sho got that right. Thanks guys for stickin with me. I really appreciate the help.

Chris,

Either unit (U220 or u250) will get rid of AppMode since it uses the Yellow RGB port on the back of the unit. AppMode for the iPhone and Android requires something like the Pioneer CD-IU201S (iPhone) or CD-ML100 (Android) which also uses the Yellow RGB to pass the video signal and the USB to pass audio and power. It was a bad design by Pioneer, but it makes sense because most people probably are not going to get navi and use phone apps.

Mr. Earl,

As Chris said a lot depends on the phone you use. Personally, unless you use navigation all of the time and do not have a smartphone I do not think navigation units are worth the money when you can use something like AppMode. I know everyone will bring the OGM-1 and it is a great unit, but for the price of just the OGM-1, I put together an entire system of a radio, integration module, speakers, amp, sub, wiring, and some deadener. Even the cheaper navis like Kenwood just do not seem to justify the price with cheaper DVD receivers w/apps. Again, just my opinion, but having considered just about every radio, I am happy with my AVH-x3500bhs and AppMode. The only difference I would have made was get the AVH-x4500BT so I had the bigger screen and I cannot get any decent HD radio reception, so it was a waste to get HD radio.

Archived