How low on fuel have you gone?

PaulM

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just below a half of a tank. Anywhere near a 1/4 tank and I stop for fuel.

Had a 2002 Chevy 1500HD two trucks ago. I forgot to get gas after being at my camp for 5 days. I was travelling in rural Vermont and not every town has a gas station. Low fuel warning came on just above E. I drove like a 90 year old man to get to the next town with a gas station. I coasted down hills in neutral, drove 40 in a 50 zone, basically all of the stuff that drives me crazy when others do it! I put 25.8 gallons in a 26 gallon tank. Not sure what the reserve was but never let it get that empty. Truck had a 6.0L and 3.73 gears and was not very fuel efficient!!

Same truck, filled up on a Saturday night with 1/4 tank left. Fuel pump crapped out when I tried to leave the station. Truck went to repair shop on a flatback as it was out of warranty.

Your post reminds me of the episode on Seinfeld when Kramer was test driving a Saab with the saleman and wanted to see how far they could go.

Below about 40 miles, mine just said Fuel Low i believe. I tried to gauge how many gallons left with onstar app, but it just said "fuel Low" as well. I was trying to purge all Ethanol gas out of the tank to due an ethanol free 91 tank for MPG testing.

After about 5 miles beyond "fuel Low" or whatever message on the DIC, it put in 23.450 gallons. What i'm curious about is: what is the most someone has put in their tank on fillup without having run out and stalled? Wondering what the dead zone is in the tank (2 gal?). Manual says 1500 6' and 5'8" beds are 26.0 gal

Below about 40 miles, mine just said Fuel Low i believe. I tried to gauge how many gallons left with onstar app, but it just said "fuel Low" as well. I was trying to purge all Ethanol gas out of the tank to due an ethanol free 91 tank for MPG testing.

After about 5 miles beyond "fuel Low" or whatever message on the DIC, it put in 23.450 gallons. What i'm curious about is: what is the most someone has put in their tank on fillup without having run out and stalled? Wondering what the dead zone is in the tank (2 gal?). Manual says 1500 6' and 5'8" beds are 26.0 gal

Led report mine shortly.

Does anyone know if you get more in downhill or uphill?

As said I don't go below half unless I am on a trip, then I refill at no less than 1/4 tank. Fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, less fuel is less cooling for the pump and leads to premature pump wear and as shown pumps going out at the least opportune time.

Similar story... I once purchased a used 2002 Silverado. When I test drove the truck the low fuel light was on. I drove about 5 miles or so on the test drive. Truck seemed fine... signed the papers and left the dealer. Had to drive another 8 miles or so to get to gas station. I filled it all the way up when I stopped at the gas station... had about 150 miles to get home.

Everything was fine on the drive home... until I got about 10 miles from my house. Truck started stalling.... yep...fuel pump was on it's way out. Managed to barely limp home. $600 later and new fuel pump.. all was well. Not 24 hours after I purchased...

Similar story... I once purchased a used 2002 Silverado. When I test drove the truck the low fuel light was on. I drove about 5 miles or so on the test drive. Truck seemed fine... signed the papers and left the dealer. Had to drive another 8 miles or so to get to gas station. I filled it all the way up when I stopped at the gas station... had about 150 miles to get home.

Everything was fine on the drive home... until I got about 10 miles from my house. Truck started stalling.... yep...fuel pump was on it's way out. Managed to barely limp home. $600 later and new fuel pump.. all was well. Not 24 hours after I purchased...

good point about cooling the fuel pump. Can't ever be good to run these new DI engines out of fuel. Partially why i'm polling folks who've already had the experience, trying to see where the threshold is if i get in a pinch. only comment on your story is the dealer not filling the tank up for you!

300-350 miles on one tank doing mainly city driving. usually put about 20-23 gallons in, i try not to let it go below 1/8 anything less than that and it worries me. although these new trucks gas gauges work a lot better than my gmt800 which i would get about 200 miles on the first half of the tank and the second half i could only get about 100-120 miles and that would be pushing it.

Archived