Crew Cab vs Double Cab Seat Size

I know they shifted the door pillars some but the crew on the new ones still looks tight compared to a F150. If I cared about having a back seat I'd look to Ford or Ram first unfortunately.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I first had an Extended Cab and than Double Cab. I prefer the longer bed, but more importantly I prefer a truck that would fir in the garage. The crew with extended bed just won't fit. I rarely have anyone in the back, and when I do they fit. I use it more for quick storage then for people. I do like the Double better than the older Extended cab.

I know they shifted the door pillars some but the crew on the new ones still looks tight compared to a F150. If I cared about having a back seat I'd look to Ford or Ram first unfortunately.

Tons of room in the new crews. Everyone who rides in my back seat can't believe how roomy it is.

Tons of room in the new crews. Everyone who rides in my back seat can't believe how roomy it is.

I've seen them and GM did improve but the Ford still has more room. It's a non issue to me as I don't have kids or passengers frequently though. Just an observation.

Pro's and Con's .... all depends on your needs..

Double cab - yes, I agree a little more "athletic" stance to me. Longer bed, less leg room in the back.

Crew cab - more room... but shorter bed. I for one have to have a toolbox in my truck bed. With the standard crew cab, by the time you add a tool box you are left with like 3 feet of useable bed space... near nothing.

Yes, you can get the long bed crew cab.. but it's like driving a bus IMO.

For me... double cab... since I have no kids, very rarely more than 1 passenger riding with me. Plus the cost is less.

Long bed is only available with the regular cab (unless you get a 2500/3500)

The room in the crew cab isn't even comparable to the double cab if you ask me. And you guys are talking about losing bed length with the crew. This is untrue, you can get the crew cab with the 6'6" bed. The double cab is cramped in the back seat and the crew cab has tons of room and very comfortable.

Not everyone can fit a crew cab standard box in the garage.

The double cab standard is the same wheelbase and overall length as the crew cab short. (143.5/230.03 in the ordering guide)

I got the double cab for two reasons.

#1 90% of the time its just me in my truck, 8% of the time the wife is with me, 2% of the time I may have a 3 or 4th person in the truck.

#2 I prefered to get the double with more equipment for the $$ than a crew with less equipment.

If money was not an issue I'd get a crew w/ a 6.5 ft bed but, I don't so the double cab met my needs. I'm 5'11 and the head room sucks in the back seat of my truck, also the leg room doesn't do much for me either but, its rarely used. My wife has a Mazda 6 which has comfy back seats if we travel with more than two in the vehicle.

Crew Cab long bed FTW! Go big or go home! 20' baby! Lots of space, I feel like the ride would only be better w/ a longer wheelbase, and the room! It's like They took a Yukon & chopped off the 3rd row extended the wheelbase and added a bed. Not comparable to the old Avalanches IMO there's alot more room in the back of the crew. W/ the seats flipped up its like a little "room" back there and my dobie appreciates it big time

I first had an Extended Cab and than Double Cab. I prefer the longer bed, but more importantly I prefer a truck that would fir in the garage. The crew with extended bed just won't fit. I rarely have anyone in the back, and when I do they fit. I use it more for quick storage then for people. I do like the Double better than the older Extended cab.

I can see if you say it won't fit in the garage, but everyone understands you can have the same size bed in a CC as a DC right? the 6.5'? That's what I got. I like it alot.

• 1 month later...

I bought the double cab after having 2 previous extended cabs. I had a kid on the way and figured it would be much easier having 4 doors but didn't need a full crew with a newborn...now I wish I bought the crew. Car seat hardly fits.

Just traded in my 2011 extended for the Crew. 3 kids under 10 ride in my truck daily and the back of the exteded was getting tight. They love the new truck and all the room they have. The doors on the 2011 also became an issue because they could not shut the front door after closing the back. The new doors are a fix but I still like the extra 12" in the back for them. Had to go short bed for the garage but loosing 12" back there will not change much for me. Cooler and deer stand still fit fine.

I can see if you say it won't fit in the garage, but everyone understands you can have the same size bed in a CC as a DC right? the 6.5'? That's what I got. I like it alot.

Correct.

DC is only available with the 6 1/2' (standard) box.

CC is available with the 5'8" (short) or 6 1/2' (standard) box.

DC wheelbase (and oal) is same as CC with the short box.

One of the original reasons for crew cab short box was so it would fir in the same garage as the ext cab 6 1/2 footers that were very common at the time.

I rode in the back seat of my 03 ecsb before i sold it and it almost felt like there was more room compaired to my K2, even though the specs say there's more leg room, hip room and about the same head room in the new trucks. I will say, the seats in the 03 were definitely softer though. It was cloth vs leather.

I hardly ride anyone back of either so most if the time its for storage. I'd still stick with my DC if I had to do it over again.

Archived