Gear Change 9.5" 12 bolt

The other G-80 i saw looked very similar. The only thing i see that could be a little different is the centrifugal weight. That is the reason most get away from them, a lot of moving parts and tiny teeth on the actuating mechanism. If the teeth strip it is done and tiny pieces of metal floating around in the diff will cause lock up or failure soon after. This one does have a clutch pack though it looks like and i don't recall seeing that on the other but i wasn't looking that closely.

The other G-80 i saw looked very similar. The only thing i see that could be a little different is the centrifugal weight. That is the reason most get away from them, a lot of moving parts and tiny teeth on the actuating mechanism. If the teeth strip it is done and tiny pieces of metal floating around in the diff will cause lock up or failure soon after. This one does have a clutch pack though it looks like and i don't recall seeing that on the other but i wasn't looking that closely.

I'm still waiting on a set of gears that fit without the hassle but getting somewhat anxious...

How has the new install been? Put many more miles on it? Issues? Has the whine subsided or.....

I'm still waiting on a set of gears that fit without the hassle but getting somewhat anxious...

How has the new install been? Put many more miles on it? Issues? Has the whine subsided or.....

The gears are running good and am very happy with the 4.56. I have put close to 700 miles on them now and the wine had all but went away but after a 340 mile non stop trip it is back. It isn't loud but it is annoying. I will live with the wine for a bit longer before dropping more money in it for a better gear set. I would like to wait till someone comes out with gears first if I can hold out that long just so I can get everything back to stock in the rear end. Thing I didn't know before is that the pinion shaft and U-Joint on the 2014 is a good bit larger than the 2013 9.5" so basically I downgraded the rear when I did the swap it looks like. I doubt it would ever cause issues but I know now so it will always be in the back of my mind.

As for the 4.56 ratio. With this transmission the shifting on take off will drive you absolutely insane. Pulling out from a stop sign it will be in 4th gear, with light throttle, before you get going straight; shifts into 6th at 32 mph. Definitely going to have to tune it as soon as EFI releases the updates. I am not sure if it is sensing the reduced engine load or what. Under light throttle it shifts with very little RPM variation and at around 1400 rpm. The tach may be moving 150 rpm before gear shifts. The ECM has been calibrated for the gears and tires so not sure why it does this. Under 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it does better shifting around 2500 rpm. I have not went WOT from a stop with it yet, I hit it once while passing and everything seemed great. Gas mileage around town has come up around 2 mpg. On the highway I am still getting 14 so no loss or gain there. RPM at 75 is right around 2300 and right in the meat of the motor. I have not come across a hill yet it will shift down on with the cruise set at highway speeds.

Edited by CAtaylor

The gears are running good and am very happy with the 4.56. I have put close to 700 miles on them now and the wine had all but went away but after a 340 mile non stop trip it is back. It isn't loud but it is annoying. I will live with the wine for a bit longer before dropping more money in it for a better gear set. I would like to wait till someone comes out with gears first if I can hold out that long just so I can get everything back to stock in the rear end. Thing I didn't know before is that the pinion shaft and U-Joint on the 2014 is a good bit larger than the 2013 9.5" so basically I downgraded the rear when I did the swap it looks like. I doubt it would ever cause issues but I know now so it will always be in the back of my mind.

As for the 4.56 ratio. With this transmission the shifting on take off will drive you absolutely insane. Pulling out from a stop sign it will be in 4th gear, with light throttle, before you get going straight; shifts into 6th at 32 mph. Definitely going to have to tune it as soon as EFI releases the updates. I am not sure if it is sensing the reduced engine load or what. Under light throttle it shifts with very little RPM variation and at around 1400 rpm. The tach may be moving 150 rpm before gear shifts. The ECM has been calibrated for the gears and tires so not sure why it does this. Under 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it does better shifting around 2500 rpm. I have not went WOT from a stop with it yet, I hit it once while passing and everything seemed great. Gas mileage around town has come up around 2 mpg. On the highway I am still getting 14 so no loss or gain there. RPM at 75 is right around 2300 and right in the meat of the motor. I have not come across a hill yet it will shift down on with the cruise set at highway speeds.

A trans tune is needed badly with those gears, but you know this , especially with the everything being torque based now. WTF is up with EFI live anyway? What are they focusing their time on if not these transmissions? I hope it's not the damn cummins. Lol

If you can hear your gears over your tires in these quiet trucks.. I bet it's louder than you think. For your sake I hope it lines itself out. I have only had 1 set of noisy motive gears and that was in an Fbody which I ran loose because it was a track only car. It doesn't have to be loud at all to hear the gears in an 02 Fbody though.

A trans tune is needed badly with those gears, but you know this , especially with the everything being torque based now. WTF is up with EFI live anyway? What are they focusing their time on if not these transmissions? I hope it's not the damn cummins. Lol

If you can hear your gears over your tires in these quiet trucks.. I bet it's louder than you think. For your sake I hope it lines itself out. I have only had 1 set of noisy motive gears and that was in an Fbody which I ran loose because it was a track only car. It doesn't have to be loud at all to hear the gears in an 02 Fbody though.

Not sure on the EFI thing. They just recently made the DOD available but it is currently only on or off option; cant modify the settings. If EFI doesn't release this in the near future I may hit you up for some tuning, it is driving me nuts.

Yea the gears are not bothersome with the back glass closed. If I open the rear slider it definitely gets annoying. I added a magnaflow muffler and dumped it over the axle but it didn't make it magically disappear like I was hoping. I think I am stuck with the wine for now. If I would have had time to pull it back down and send them back I could have possibly got a replacement set but I had to get back to work and it would be hard to argue manufacturing fault over installation fault at this point with the miles I have put on them. I would like to think the installation was good as they had just completed the same swap on Brettls1's truck and his turned out good.

Not sure on the EFI thing. They just recently made the DOD available but it is currently only on or off option; cant modify the settings. If EFI doesn't release this in the near future I may hit you up for some tuning, it is driving me nuts.

Yea the gears are not bothersome with the back glass closed. If I open the rear slider it definitely gets annoying. I added a magnaflow muffler and dumped it over the axle but it didn't make it magically disappear like I was hoping. I think I am stuck with the wine for now. If I would have had time to pull it back down and send them back I could have possibly got a replacement set but I had to get back to work and it would be hard to argue manufacturing fault over installation fault at this point with the miles I have put on them. I would like to think the installation was good as they had just completed the same swap on Brettls1's truck and his turned out good.

I had the 4.10's installed on mine by the same guy as CAtaylor, I have motive gear in the rear and yukon gear in the front. I don't have any whine at all and the shifting is back to normal. My 295/60/20's threw off the shifting bad. I also cruise at 2300rpm at 75mph which is weird since you have 4.56 and I have 4.10 gears. I think my gas mileage came up around 2 mpg but to be honest i cant keep my foot out of it with my new cherry bomb vortex exhaust and air raid cold air intake, it sounds great. I'm still trying to get this black bear tune situation figured out, it doesnt seem to be working right. Hopefully it helps quite a bit once its all done.

Why did you choose motive in the rear over Yukon? There is no doubt that justin will get you lined out on your tune.. Keep us posted though

For me it was because I didn't really think it would have been that much of a difference and they only carried Yukon for the front. I had not heard anything bad about motive and saw a lot of people were using them; that was of course till mine were wining and I searched "Motive Gear Wine", found more responses with that than I cared to read.

I had the 4.10's installed on mine by the same guy as CAtaylor, I have motive gear in the rear and yukon gear in the front. I don't have any whine at all and the shifting is back to normal. My 295/60/20's threw off the shifting bad. I also cruise at 2300rpm at 75mph which is weird since you have 4.56 and I have 4.10 gears. I think my gas mileage came up around 2 mpg but to be honest i cant keep my foot out of it with my new cherry bomb vortex exhaust and air raid cold air intake, it sounds great. I'm still trying to get this black bear tune situation figured out, it doesnt seem to be working right. Hopefully it helps quite a bit once its all done.

Crap, I forgot Justin uses EFI Live and can't tune the trannies yet, sounds like you are at the mercy of EFI Lives engineering department and what they are currently considering priority.

Got back with East Coast and they cut me a good deal on the Yukon 4.56 gears to replace the Motives. They said to send them the Motives back once I get them pulled and they will push to get me credit for them so now I just need to get home and get the truck back in the shop. Damn work gets in the way of everything!

Good to hear... sounds like East Coast might become my second choice for gears. I have always been a Randy's Ring and Pinion guy and never really had a good backup plan. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Steve

Any of you guys ever go to the track? I'm curious to see what moving to a 4.10 would do for acceleration. I wish they would've had a 3.73 truck on the lot but I would have needed to go with the GMC to get in a comparable trim.

I've been really surprised at how well the gear reduction works with 3.42's in the 6 speed, feels closer to my 2005 Silverado SS.

I think 3.73 would be well rounded....but if I'm swapping gears and paying for them....4.10 is a no-brainer.

Any of you guys ever go to the track? I'm curious to see what moving to a 4.10 would do for acceleration. I wish they would've had a 3.73 truck on the lot but I would have needed to go with the GMC to get in a comparable trim.

I've been really surprised at how well the gear reduction works with 3.42's in the 6 speed, feels closer to my 2005 Silverado SS.

I think 3.73 would be well rounded....but if I'm swapping gears and paying for them....4.10 is a no-brainer.

I think these trucks would handle a 4.10 very well with little sacrifice in mpg. Should be only running somewhere around 2k RPMs down the highway which will sound better to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the Yukon 4.56 gears installed today and there were no issues. The Motives that were pulled out had no unregulated wear or any ware for that matter so it appears it was just a noisy set. I am still waiting on my TCM tune fro Blackbear but it shouldn't be long I hope. I am running the ECM tune now and it is night and day difference already.