Have you polished Porcelain?

I'm remodeling my bathroom, and the only thing staying is the original Porcelain tub. It's old, but actually has some style in it and is in excellent condition. The problem is, I have some water stains and other "dirty" spots that will make the tub look not new....like the rest of the bathroom will be. The shower walls currently have 1/8" plastic walls with caulking around the tub. That will be replaced with tile, so I also have to contend with removing all of the old caulking. I'm thinking if I could find something to "polish" the porcelain, it would look good as new. I have several grinders and drills, and all of the attachments for them would easilly destroy the tub! lol

Anyone have any ideas, or tried anything in the past that worked well?

That's what I'm afraid of. I think I might try a sample of cleaners to see what comes off that way. Then, I'll see fromt here. Might start with a buffing wheel with comparable softness to one used for waxing a car, and try slightly more aggressive from there.

Is the tub cast iron or steel? Have you tried Bar Keepers Friend, liguid? Another for product is called "Whink", it's for iron and rust stains. Just about anything you do will probably not make your tub look as new as the rest of the bath. Usually best to replace the unit. Considering replacing your tub faucet if it's older and hard to find replacement parts for it.

Not sure, but I believe it is cast iron. Any way to tell the difference? If I take this tub out, there's no way to get a new one in there....without taking out walls which I'm not up for. Can I replace all of the faucet hardware and drain without removing the tub? I will have access to "most" of the faucet and drain lines while I have the drywall out, and before cement board goes in.

Steel tubs are thin material. Cast iron is thick and heavy. Original tub in an older home, it's almost sure to be cast. Reason I asked, many times people, when replacing a cast tub, will drop in a steel tub because they are so easy to handle. But they are not durable at all over time

Our guest bath had a gold tub I painted with Tub & Tile about 8 years ago and it has held up real well but has had limited use. It came out super nice but wasn't at all easy to apply. If you do paint follow the instructions to the letter, wear a good resperator and, make sure all your hair and lint is stuck down. I used a good brush.

Mike

• 1 month later...

For the first time in our life, we hired a house cleaning service prior to large family function. The spare bath has a crappy sink in it that I could never get cleaned up due to staining and hard water build up. After they were done, it looked like a new sink. Curious, I asked them what they used. Come to find out single edge razor blade and soft scrub.

House built in late 40's-mid 50's?

I'm remodeling my bathroom, and the only thing staying is the original Porcelain tub. It's old, but actually has some style in it and is in excellent condition. The problem is, I have some water stains and other "dirty" spots that will make the tub look not new....like the rest of the bathroom will be. The shower walls currently have 1/8" plastic walls with caulking around the tub. That will be replaced with tile, so I also have to contend with removing all of the old caulking. I'm thinking if I could find something to "polish" the porcelain, it would look good as new. I have several grinders and drills, and all of the attachments for them would easilly destroy the tub! lol

Anyone have any ideas, or tried anything in the past that worked well?

Archived