2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

Hi Guys, Diablo emailed me this morning to announce that they've got their tuner units ready for the 2014's, here are some of the options it does, I've had a Diablo for my 2010 Denali since I purchased it, but back then there were a lot fewer things supported than they appear to be doing now (primarily purchased it to change the tire sizes and disable the limiter)

inTune really improves the 2014
GM Truck; tunes included are 87 octane tune, MPG Booster Tune, and the Diablo
tune, which should be used with octane higher than 91. Increases of up to 15 hp
and 20 ft lbs of torque can be seen across the entire RPM range with
the Diablo Tune.

Our tunes are calibrated specifically to improve performance,
drivability, and economy and reduce the factory's power-robbing "torque
management" to put more power to the ground when you need it. Other
options include TCM (Transmission Control Module) control to adjust automatic
shift characteristics, DOD (Active Fuel Management) disable, speedometer
adjustment for gear and tire changes, and raising speed and rev
limiters.

Well, hopefully Diablo has done a better job with the TCM support this time around! I purchased the inTune for my '08 and it turned out that they didn't support my TCM calibration and I would have to get the dealer to re-program to get it working right. Not what I'd call a good outcome, but I still use it to disable the AFM.

• 4 months later...

I have been reluctant to do mine. Dealership told me they can now see changes that you have made and even times that you do it. As soon as you change anything through the computer warranty get a void.

I don't know how true this is because there are laws that say otherwise; the dude that told me was kinda a prick so he may have just been talking to listen to himself.

• 2 weeks later...

On our 14 Sierra, the biggest gains were inthe throttle response. I felt the factory throttle cal was about the worst offered by GM ever, and after some fine tuning, we were able to make the throttle much more lively, and we offer the end user further adjustment to make the throttle response work to your liking :)

Theres also a solid 20 rwhp/20-25 ft-lbs in the tunes...

Our tunes can't be seen by the dealer either ;)

Edited by Mike@Diablosport
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Having been a general motors technician and a tuner on the side, I can tell you first hand that GM CAN tell if the vehicle has been tuned or not and how many times the ECM has been flashed if they in fact want to know. The average tech at your dealership may not know how, but GM as a corporation can! No matter what anyone says. I've seen it firsthand. Hell, they can even check calibration files through OnStar now!

• Like 3

Having been a general motors technician and a tuner on the side, I can tell you first hand that GM CAN tell if the vehicle has been tuned or not and how many times the ECM has been flashed if they in fact want to know. The average tech at your dealership may not know how, but GM as a corporation can! No matter what anyone says. I've seen it firsthand. Hell, they can even check calibration files through OnStar now!

That is why blackbear recomended getting a different tcm and ecm fir their tune.
  • Like 2

To which years and models/engines does this apply? That one to the left?

• 2 weeks later...

I have received numerous PMs asking about my tune, so many in different threads, I don't believe I could find them all, so I thought I would just initiate a seperate thread to address it. This may be a long post because there are several details worthy of mention...the tune, mpg, the ride, bumper chips.

First, PCM of NC, in Mooresville, NC, are genuine professionals who focus on GM products. Tuning is just a side aspect of their business. Their claim to fame is custom building GM cars to customers desires. Too much detail for this thread, but I saw 6 Camaros with everything from exhaust and intake to complete custom "hotrod" with supercharger. Lots of head and cam jobs on late model Camaros. The oldest one was a 2010. They have their stuff together and very, very, customer oriented!

My tune far exceeded my expectations, even though this was my third experience with them. For those who haven't seen my previous posts, I live in Montgomery, Alabama, 6 hours, plus, drive to Mooresville, however, the results were worth every mile. The most noticeable is in the low end, great throttle response, he adjusted cam timing, shift points and pressure, very smooth shifts, Deleted AFM, and it just keeps digging as long as you keep your foot in it. I thought the 6.2 ran pretty good from the factory, until Alvin Anderson, the owner, worked his magic. I know some of you could actually explain the tune better than I , and I was there. All I know, by the seat of the pants, my truck is now 100% better in driveablility and fun than the truck I took up there. By the way, they use HP Tuning software. They have a commercial license with them for unlimited use. They can do everything for the 2014s, including of course, the 6.2, my engine. I know some others don't have the software yet to tune the TCM.

I can honestly tell you the Airaid system I installed before I left, definitely overrides the sound of my custom dual magnaflow catback sytem when you get your foot in it. With the tune, it is much more noticeable, man does it suck some air with that huge snorkel coming down from the air box behind the grill. I don't know what else to say about the tune specifically, other than it's like a freaking miracle!!!

One note about MPG. I went up on MLK day and the traffic was ridiculous. I never exceeded 75 the entire trip and a lot of it was under 70. As a result, I had one segment of 22.4 MPG with an overall average of 20.6 MPG for the trip up. On the return trip, there was a lot less traffic, so I played with it a lot, trying to break in my tune and ran 80 to 85 most of the way. When I got home the computer said I averaged 19.7 for the trip home, however, I did the math the old fashioned way, total miles vs. gals and came up with 17.8. In my book, that is fantastic gas mileage for the way I was driving home. Alvin said it should improve some, and I think it did, considering the way I was driving on the return trip.

One last point of interest, stone chipped bumpers. First, know, I am very OCD about staying away from vehicles in front and when passing semis, I do it at excess speeds to expedite the maneuver. I got four stone chips on the front bumper, however, when the stone hit, the paint flaked all around the tiny spot where it actually hit. The paint was actually loose, you could peel little pieces off with your fingernail. I did get a normal stone chip on the hood, no paint flaking there. MY dealer's body shop is doing the three step process to attempt to touch it up and get it smoothed out enough to put the Clear Bra on it. They would repaint the entire bumper if I wanted it, but I prefer to try this first. I had tried before I left to find a clear bra installer, and could not find anyone around here who did it. The body shop manager is going to call this guy who does it and he will come down (115 miles) and do mine. He said this guy is the best in the state, but he's pricey. It's going to cost about $1000, but I cannot go through this every time I take a road trip. The body shop manager said he never seen anything like what happened to my bumper. He said, It was as if it were painted a second time in the plant. I know it was a very revolting development. I have had a lot of stone chips, but I never seen paint do that before.

OH by the way, my 22" wheels rode like a limosine the entire trip. In my opinion, 18" could not have rode any better.

That's my story, and I hope it answers most questions that were asked of me. Let me add, if anyone is interested in an in-person tune and feel like you are within driving distance of Mooresville, NC, give them a call. PM me for the contact info. There's nothing in it for me, I'm just a very happy customer trying to share some great info with my GM Truck community. Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 11