2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

14 hours ago, Mileguru said:

??? You know the results before the tune is even done ???

And to be clear, you're claiming that your friend is going to tune your T87A using an Auto Cal (EFI Live) WITHOUT unlocking the TCM? And WITHOUT swapping the 2017 TCM with an earlier 2014-2016 TCM? 

I ran this by my tuner and he says only a hack would do what you mentioned above. My friend and tuner writes binary hex files, code the ecu and re write the files. He and another local guy here were part of the FJO program who designed and makes all the HOLLEY EFI that now runs serious drag cars. These same 2 guys I know have been to GM headquarters as part of the 5 best tuners in the world who did work on the shared gm ford agreements for ecu tcm stuff. FJO is from Winnipeg which is where we are from. 

14 hours ago, Boostpatrol said:

Yes. Do you know how efi live people get the software to the point they can release it to the public? They get the ability from beta testers like the guy tuning my truck. Hes done hundreds of GMCs like mine. 

Really, that's how technology advances? Learn something new everyday :rolleyes:

So now you're claiming that he's tuned hundreds (so more than 200) of 2017+ T87A TCMs without using HP Tuners to unlock them? And not one of those people have posted up this information on any forum anywhere? Think about that for a second...the people that have their T87As tuned, via a secretive NO UNLOCK SERVICE no less, are not your average joe shmoe, they are obviously into modding their trucks and would most likely follow some forum somewhere.

51 minutes ago, Boostpatrol said:

I ran this by my tuner and he says only a hack would do what you mentioned above. My friend and tuner writes binary hex files, code the ecu and re write the files. He and another local guy here were part of the FJO program who designed and makes all the HOLLEY EFI that now runs serious drag cars. These same 2 guys I know have been to GM headquarters as part of the 5 best tuners in the world who did work on the shared gm ford agreements for ecu tcm stuff. FJO is from Winnipeg which is where we are from. 

Only a hack would have the T87A unlocked via HP Tuners? I guess every single person that has tuned their T87A is a hack then because THAT'S THE ONLY WAY IT CAN BE DONE AT THE MOMENT.

Swapping the TCMs is obviously a hack - it's pretty much the definition of the work hack. But that's a way around having to pay for the HPT unlock service.

It's nice that your friend has so many credentials, but what you have to understand is that you're making a claim that to date is impossible. I'm calling BS on this one. I'll eat my words if it comes down to it, but this is a classic case of "pictures or it didn't happen." AND BELIEVE ME, I HOPE THAT I'M WRONG, BUT MY GUT SAYS I'M NOT.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:19 PM, Mileguru said:

Post up your results when it's done. Hope it's not another swing and a miss situation with these T87A units.

And Justin at BlackBear, if you see this post, any new news about EFI Live being able to tune the T87A?

We still do not see EFILive being able to unlock the 8 speed TCM for the 2017 and newer vehicles in the foreseeable future.

• 3 weeks later...

I know its not the place for it but I don't have 50 posts to post otherwise, I sold my Sierra and have my BBP tuner i'd like to off load. So anyone on the fence want to get a cheaper price shoot me a message. You will still need to buy a tune/license from bbp though. Sorry for not posting right but I have no reasons to post to make 50 now that I don't have a GMT

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 6:37 AM, Boostpatrol said:

The results from this tune will be 18 whp peak, 32 whp mid range, 45 wtq peak. 

Intakes also are a waste of money and provide no gains while no air box provides no gains aswell. Headers and cat deletes also provide a loss in torque. This is why the only mod I did was a kn panel filter. The stock air box flows 700 hp on duramax before needing modification.

While I have no interest in the argument you’re having with Mileguru, I am not sure your comments about intakes and airboxes are universally applicable.  

For about 15 years I was deeply into Duramaxes and with a turbo diesel and the intakes on the LB7, LMM, and LML, there wasn’t much of an advantage until you exceeded 550 RWHP.  And as we all know getting that much HP out of a Duramax is easy so there was a lot of testing done at HP levels over 550 RWHP.  

I think it’s different with naturally aspirated GM pickups.  Blackbear’s posted dyno results confirm what intake manufacturers are showing with their own dyno results.  Now I suppose one can argue it’s in Blackbear’s best interest to confirm the dyno results since they sell those products.  However, when you look at all these posted dyno results, they do show all the parameters and for the results to be fabricated would mean that all these companies are lying and hoping not to get caught.  I think that is less believable than the claims of 10-20 HP increases with an Intake.  

Another reason I am inclined to believe the intakes help at stock HP levels is because a naturally aspirated engine has to suck in all the air it uses.  A turbo (or supercharged) engine forces air in and is much better able to overcome any restrictions in the airbox/intake system.  So an improvement in flow that won’t help a turboed engine may very well help a naturally aspirated engine.

Edited by INTJ

Appears this thread is slowly dying.  Looking for custom tune options for my 2018 Sierra 6.2L with 8-speed.

I’m like you. I have a 2018 Silverado 6.2L with and am looking to tune. However, I don’t want the tune to void the warranty. Does anyone know how to get around that?

Thanks,

RC

92b49f974bf5b18e74cbbd64b89fd755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Haha 1

To take the least amount of risk we can’t do anything to our trucks.  There are some dealerships that are that fussy about any mods.  Other dealerships are less fussy.  Also, I don’t think we even have to use the dealer for warranty and extended warranty work—just need an approved repair facility, though I would thoroughly research that first.

So the question becomes how much risk are we willing to take?  The extreme end of the spectrum is putting a BIG HP tune in a Duramax.  If we thrash the trans while doing that we aren’t going to get warranty coverage and rightly so.  On the other end, putting an intake, cat back, and mild tune in a gas engine is unlikely to make enough extra power to break anything.  

I am am doing an AFE intake, Borla cat back, and Superchips tune for my year-old 2018 5.3 with 13,000 miles on it. Superchips said that an intake and cat back with their canned performance  tune will add about 30 HP.  The risk of breaking something with that is very low, and if I do need warranty work I’ll put the stock tune back in and maybe the stock intake.  Most dealers I have dealt with say to bring it in stock—I don’t expect any issue with a cat back.  

With two different tuned Duramaxes all I did was flash back to stock and the dealer covered the repair, but the warranty items were small—a sensor and a TCM.  I wasn’t trying to cover a fried transmission.  Big tunes in the Duramax without beefing the trans and then trying to get warranty on damaged drivetrain components are a big part of why GM got so fussy about mods and warranty, Magnuson-Moss Act notwithstanding.

Also, Superchips offers a two-year powertrain warranty, which eases the risk even more.

Edited by INTJ

I would like to see those numbers as well, but I’d bet that even a 30 RWHP increase would only gain about .3 sec in the 1/4 mile.  That said, I am more concerned about mid range power increases.  That may not have as much of an improvement in 1/4 mile times but will help response and acceleration in and out of traffic at cruising speeds.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a GM TSB out (#09-06-04-026P) that explains how dealers can check calibration history in certain "newer" ECMs and TCMs using a Tech2; MDI or MDI2 and GDS2. The Calibration Verification Number [CVN] (checksum) for each programming module is stored in protected NVRAM inside the computer and can be compared to what's on file with GM. If the calibration history shows a modified CVN, GM can void your warranty. So it won't do any good to reflash your module back to stock before taking your vehicle in for warranty service, because the dealer can see if it had a modified tune on it previously.

Edited by SinisterZ71

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2019 at 1:36 PM, Racindave said:

So does anyone have any real performance numbers after a tune? Maybe before and after 1/4 mile times?

0-60

before 5.7

after 4.9

2014 dbl cab 6.2, bone stock with BB tune

I’m pretty sure most of that is from modification of torque management, not the power increase.

34 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

0-60

before 5.7

after 4.9

I’m pretty sure most of that is from modification of torque management, not the power increase.

Can you post your tune parameters? How does it shift under load?

38 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

0-60

before 5.7

after 4.9

That’s pretty a good improvement. Thanks! 

43 minutes ago, Bammer25 said:

Can you post your tune parameters? How does it shift under load?

Its a BB tune, no idea what the tune parameters are. Justin tuned my truck in person and it’s been like that ever since.

shifts are rock solid at WOT. Little sloppy at part throttle. Could email BB to fix but too lazy.

Edited by truckguy82