In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

pendragon

2014+ Engine & Transmission Tuning

6 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

I’m pretty sure most of that is from modification of torque management, not the power increase.

I believe that.  I really notice the amount of power my ECM pulls during shifts in my '18, and the amount of time that power is pulled seems overly excessive.

That being said, I don't know if I would completely get rid of TM during part throttle shifts.  If I was concerned about the best WOT performance I could get out my truck, I would only reduce or eliminate TM at WOT.  But I think leaving it stock or lightly reduced at part throttle would probably promote transmission longevity.

Has anyone every tried getting a 2014 truck updated with a 2018 truck tune? I have a 2014 and often rent 2018/2019 trucks for work. They sure seem to be a little snappier and get better mileage than mine. I assume the 2014 tune is very conservative. I don't really want to do an aftermarket tune. I have done programmers, mail order, and custom tunes in the past with mixed results. Most aftermarket tunes don't work well in -40 weather. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimmylee said:

Has anyone every tried getting a 2014 truck updated with a 2018 truck tune? I have a 2014 and often rent 2018/2019 trucks for work. They sure seem to be a little snappier and get better mileage than mine. I assume the 2014 tune is very conservative. I don't really want to do an aftermarket tune. I have done programmers, mail order, and custom tunes in the past with mixed results. Most aftermarket tunes don't work well in -40 weather. 

Jimmy, your 2014 truck uses a 12692067 part number E92 ECM (or a different/older part number that has been superseded by 12692067).  The AC Delco online parts catalog says the 12692067 E92 ECM was used in 2014-2016 GM trucks (as well as some other vehicles in that similar year range).  2017 trucks got a newer E92A ECM, p/n: 12692068; and 2018 trucks got an even newer E92B ECM, p/n: 12692069.  I do not think your 2014 E92 ECM will accept programming written for an E92B ECM; but even if it did - there is a question of whether the other computer modules in your truck (especially the TCM in the trans) will work correctly with 2018 programming in the ECM.  While the TCM in your trans may accept 2018 programming, I doubt every other module in your truck will accept the same; and my concern is there may be compatibility issues with your IPC, BCM, and other modules in your 2014 truck.

I am curious as to why you say most aftermarket tunes don't work well in -40 weather.  What issues are you experiencing in -40 weather with the aftermarket tunes you've tried?

Edited by SinisterZ71

9 minutes ago, SinisterZ71 said:

Jimmy, your 2014 truck uses a 12692067 part number E92 ECM (or a different/older part number that has been superseded by 12692067).  The AC Delco online parts catalog says the 12692067 E92 ECM was used in 2014-2016 GM trucks (as well as some other vehicles in that similar year range).  2017 trucks got a newer E92A ECM, p/n: 12692068; and 2018 trucks got an even newer E92B ECM, p/n: 12692069.  I do not think your 2014 E92 ECM will accept programming written for an E92B ECM; but even if it did - there is a question of whether the other computer modules in your truck (especially the TCM in the trans) will work correctly with 2018 programming in the ECM.  While the TCM in your trans may accept 2018 programming, I doubt every other module in your truck will accept the same; and my concern is there may be compatibility issues with your IPC, BCM, and other modules in your 2014 truck.

I am curious as to why you say most aftermarket tunes don't work well in -40 weather.  What issues are you experiencing in -40 weather with the aftermarket tunes you've tried?

Good to know Sinister. Maybe a 2016 is as new as I could do. Its seems every first model year chev is a little more tame and conservative than the few years that follow.

I have had issues with cold start enrichment in various temperatures. Really hot and really cold. Rough ideal, poor starting, mild shaking, a bit of black smoke on startup. Also some odd shifting characteristings when doing heavy duty towing. Little stuff but still important to me. I have tune 5 other vehicles that I have owned previously.

I would like to know if the tune for the 2016's is better or different than the 2014 trucks. Surely some of the dyno tuner guys would know this. They probably get the best gains on 2014's. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimmylee said:

Good to know Sinister. Maybe a 2016 is as new as I could do. Its seems every first model year chev is a little more tame and conservative than the few years that follow.

I have had issues with cold start enrichment in various temperatures. Really hot and really cold. Rough ideal, poor starting, mild shaking, a bit of black smoke on startup. Also some odd shifting characteristings when doing heavy duty towing. Little stuff but still important to me. I have tune 5 other vehicles that I have owned previously.

I would like to know if the tune for the 2016's is better or different than the 2014 trucks. Surely some of the dyno tuner guys would know this. They probably get the best gains on 2014's. 

2016 tunes have a different OS (operating system) than 2014 uses, so I'm not able to directly compare the two tunes within the custom tuning software I use.  But just looking at the main spark tables between a 2014 L83 pickup and a 2016 L83 Tahoe (I don't have a stock 2016 pickup file on hand to look at), I can tell you there are significant differences between these two tunes - and that's just in the main spark table.  Now keep in mind that your 2014 engine may not like the 2016 timing maps because of differences in exhaust or induction systems between the two years and such.  So I wouldn't just plug the timing table values from a 2016 tune into your 2014 tune and run them without at least keeping an eye on scan data to make sure you weren't getting any KR (ie: giving the engine too much timing advance where it can't use it).

Edited by SinisterZ71

2 hours ago, SinisterZ71 said:

2016 tunes have a different OS (operating system) than 2014 uses, so I'm not able to directly compare the two tunes within the custom tuning software I use.  But just looking at the main spark tables between a 2014 L83 pickup and a 2016 L83 Tahoe (I don't have a stock 2016 pickup file on hand to look at), I can tell you there are significant differences between these two tunes - and that's just in the main spark table.  Now keep in mind that your 2014 engine may not like the 2016 timing maps because of differences in exhaust or induction systems between the two years and such.  So I wouldn't just plug the timing table values from a 2016 tune into your 2014 tune and run them without at least keeping an eye on scan data to make sure you weren't getting any KR (ie: giving the engine too much timing advance where it can't use it).

Wow Sinister, that is some specialized information I would never have been able to get otherwise. That does partially legitimize my opinions on the poor 2014 tune. Could the 2015 even be better and more compatible? 

19 hours ago, jimmylee said:

Wow Sinister, that is some specialized information I would never have been able to get otherwise. That does partially legitimize my opinions on the poor 2014 tune. Could the 2015 even be better and more compatible? 

The 2015 L83 pickup tune I have appears to have identical timing advance values to the 2016 L83 Tahoe tune.

I should note that while the 2015 and 2016 L83 tunes I have show the engine being given more timing advance at light loads, these also have LESS timing advance at heavier loads than the 2014 tune I have.  So running a 2015 or 2016 spark map with your engine may result in a loss of performance.  The difference in the heavier load portion of the main spark table is about 2.5 deg (meaning your 2014 engine is being given about 2.5 deg more timing advance than the newer engines were).  Interesting...

I’m looking into tuning and didn’t read a single page but this one, what do you think the reason is for GM to be retarding the timing on 2016’s?

i have an autocal from my duramax, I need to unlink it from ATP trucks, and give the info to blackbear, but I don’t have a laptop at the moment, I’d have to get a charger and battery . I know how to scan and load tunes on the efi live programs. 

Is the Diablo i3  just as good or comparable with their canned stuff? I know it’s not as customized..I mainly want to hold gears longer, not be in 6th going 40mph around town, be lugging at 900rpms and in 4cyl. But I want more response, afm off, less tq mngmt,  firmer shifts, 93octane. Just wake it up and maybe get a little more juice out of it, I know the gains aren’t much on the dyno but the ass dyno, it’s night and day. 

Truck is stock, I’m getting a corsa catback, keeping the stock intake which breaths fine, cai’s are a waste of money if you have no other mods done to the motor, longtubes with high flows are in the future after my tuning, no forced induction or cams in my plans, if I were to get into my motor I’d go with a supercharger.  

Is going blackbear worth it for my uses over a diablo i3? Looking for real responses from people. From what I know myself, efi is the way to go, but I think with my mild case, diablo would be fine. Conundrum...

price difference isn’t shit because I have a autocal already.

i had a diablo i3 with custom tune on it and now im with blackbear.... night and days difference go with blackbear

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, jimmylee said:

Dude, custom tune.

if you had cold weather issues with your other tunes it was just a coincidence. 

I’ve driven nearly every year and every motor of k2xx, they all feel the same.

a custom tune is night and day. The lazy throttle is the torque management. Nothing to do with ignition or fuel tables.

12 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Dude, custom tune.

if you had cold weather issues with your other tunes it was just a coincidence. 

I’ve driven nearly every year and every motor of k2xx, they all feel the same.

a custom tune is night and day. The lazy throttle is the torque management. Nothing to do with ignition or fuel tables.

Custom tuning is night and day but you have to find someone who knows the gen V platform. My lazy throttle is almost completely gone and I have left torque management 100% stock.

My transmission also shifts a lot better and I haven't adjusted shift time or pressures yet.

Messing with torque management too much can ruin the transmission fast in these trucks.

There is a table in the ECM tune that basically sets up the throttle map.  It's called the Driver Demand Power vs. MPH. vs. Pedal Position table.  Basically what this table controls is the amount of actual throttle blade opening allowed per accelerator pedal position based on vehicle speed.  And the stock settings are very progressive (only allowing a smaller percentage of throttle blade opening at low acceleration pedal positions than what it does at higher accel pedal positions).  Think of this is GM's way of making sure customer's don't accelerate too quickly from a dead stop with low accelerator pedal applications.  Of course, this makes the engine feel like the throttle response is soggy.  Note that even with the stock settings, you're still being allowed full throttle blade opening when you apply full pedal, so you aren't actually losing any power output (unless traction control is kicking in, of course).

I revised this table in my truck to wake throttle response back up but it had a side-effect; the transmission seemed like it shifted too early at low accelerator pedal applications.  So I had to make some changes to my part throttle shift points to compensate as well.  But after doing that, I would say it was a drastic improvement in throttle response feel.  Gone was the usual lazy characteristics the truck had when trying to drive it easy.

There is also a tip-in torque limiting function which is controlled by a separate table which can be turned off as well.  I think this only kicks in if you are really driving aggressively and stabbing the throttle a lot.  I turned it off in mine and didn't notice much of a change, but I don't beat the living daylights out of my truck either.

Edited by SinisterZ71