Replacement Key and Remote

The dealership told me that to replace the High Country key and fob was around $425. I haven't checked any further.

Yikes! Lots of money. Maybe a vehicle locksmith (Mr. Lockout) might be cheaper than going through Chevy. I have one that is located in my town.

I was wondering if you can just get a key (not program it to start the truck) to just open the door? This way you could tape a key to the bottom of your truck just to get inside in case your lock you keys in the truck.

I did this with 2009 vehicle. The door lock did not have any affect to starting up the vehicle. These special keys are still expensive and may not be worth the time doing this. Might be able to buy a cheap one on the internet. If you do this, make sure you mark it so you don't mix it with the good keys. The only plus is that they can't start the truck (prevent theft of truck). I think the programing is only for starting the vehicle but I am not sure on the new Chevy trucks.

I just thinking on cheaper ways to do this because I don't plan on keeping my On-Star. I had a few vehicles locked themselves. One time with my keys in the ignition when it was on (heating the vehicle up) while I was cleaning off the snow and ice on the windows. It took over an hour for the locksmith to find my vehicle in the airport parking lot. The heater was blasting and I could not leave the vehicle because someone could just break a window and drive away with it. It was very cold and I don't want to do this again. Lucky I had my cell phone.

You can't program remotes on your own anymore. 2010 was the last year for that. As for keys, if you can find someone who can do side-cut keys on the cheap then a non-chipped key will work fine to open the door but know you will set off the alarm so be sure to get to the good key so you can start the truck and disable the alarm.

Is the High Country/All Terrain fob different than a SLT?

After seeing the above posts, I was wondering the same thing?

Ive also been wondering if the "switchblade" style key/keyfob would work and could be programmed to these trucks?

Edited by Kennedy81

Switchblade type wouldn't clear the shifter I bet. As for key fobs, I know LTZ/SLT trucks get a remote with chrome trim but beyond that I don't know of any differences.

My 3rd key cost me $70, and just as tbarn stated above, you can program it yourself in 10 seconds.

I see the key blanks on flebay but not sure who could cut them.

I paid $80 for a new key from GM. Just so you know, the dealer told me if I ever accidentally used that key to try and start the truck ( if it wasn't programmed) the truck would die and have to be towed to a dealer for reprogramming. So I got it programmed. It only took 10 seconds and they didnt charge me for programming.

The dealership told me that to replace the High Country key and fob was around $425. I haven't checked any further.

$122.81 plus tax and programming. Key is $75.44 for a cut one from GM as most dealers don't have the machine to cut those side cut keys.

When I ordered my key I was originally quoted by the dealership at $34 plus tax. The dealership ordered the key (taking my VIN) directly from GM and they shipped the key already cut to fit. When it came in, I went to pick it up and the dealership wanted $83 (including tax). I was shocked about the price and the dealership finally agreed to give it to me at their cost $59.56 (including tax). Either I take that price or they would have shipped it back to GM. I guess this price was still a good deal after all.

I had a local locksmith cut my double sided chipped key for my 2008, which I bought off eBay. In fact I bought two key blanks and two fobs for very little.

The new trucks use side cut keys. It's very unlikely for most places to have a machine to cut those.