Replacement Key and Remote

Thanks Dave. So If I have this right, you had the blank and he still charged you about $100 just to cut the key??

He charged me about $30 for the cut... if he had the blank, he would have charged me another ~$80 for the blank, and probably a bit more if I wanted to clone an existing key... which he can also do.

If you clone the key, then you don't need to program it to your truck, but that is very easy to do... so no need to clone in most cases.

There's some good info in this thread. The finance guy at my dealer tried to sell some key replacement plan for $400! I laughed so he tells me these keys / fobs cost roughly that to replace.

This is the first I heard about this (key plan) plan.

He charged me about $30 for the cut... if he had the blank, he would have charged me another ~$80 for the blank, and probably a bit more if I wanted to clone an existing key... which he can also do.

If you clone the key, then you don't need to program it to your truck, but that is very easy to do... so no need to clone in most cases.

That sounds reasonable for a cut $30, ( I hear the machines are quite expensive). You can easily pick up a key mailed to your house for around $25. If he would cut two key for $40, that would be even better.

You have to be careful to get an GM Key as the locksmiths, if they have a machine won't cut the aftermarket keys.

So I just ordered an key cut from GM. I bought an original gm key in it's original packaging online . I plan on having a dealership or locksmith cut that key for me. And I bought an origin gm remote in its original packaging online that I will have a dealership program. Total so far is $170, then the programing fee and the cut fee (about $50 for both).

So I will have two remotes and a spare key. Just in time to find my lost remote and key.

Nope, too long. Hits gear shift lever. someone on here tried it.

Figures. Don't understand why GM couldn't give us Keyless start like the Tahoes and Burbans atleast on LTZ and HighCountry

Sent from the future using a Fax

Dave,

Does that round GM key fit in the ignition? Since the 14's are squared/trapezoidal?

Curious....

Will

Yes the key I got from ebay fits the ignition fine... Its not in front of me, but I think it is actually same shape as stock key. The brand key I received was the same brand used by the locksmith company.

Good option to *hypothetically* stash a 3rd key inside your truck in a secure location and use the Onstar app to unlock your truck to let you in to use the spare key.

• Like 1

I have heard that the trapezoidal key has been recalled. Now only the round key is made. Both were made by strattec. Here is the trapezoidal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131175454320?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648

and the round key:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351084901530?item=351084901530&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Then there are the aftermarket keys from aisa.