In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Do you expect a rust free frame for a mere $ 45K?

You mean a mere $55k?

What i dont expect is the wax dip to be falling and peeling off like dead skin from a sunburn.

Edited by strike1st

You mean a mere $55k?

What i dont expect is the wax dip to be falling and peeling off like dead skin from a sunburn.

The quality built into your truck demonstrates itself in many ways.

Is this still a problem on the 2016 models?

I'd like to know about this, too.

Has this been an issue with the 2016 models?

• Like 1

I'd like to know about this, too.

Has this been an issue with the 2016 models?

I don't own one, I have a 2015, but I have looked at several 2016s. All of them that I have looked at show signs of rust on the ends of the rear crossmembers that are exposed in the rear wheel wells. One 2016 that the dealer had used as a loaner during the winter showed rust on every weld visible in the rear wheel wells. Someone posted on here somewhere that the TSB for frame rust was updated to include the 2016 model.

Several years back but there was a video of the Arlington Assembly Plant (Big Suv's) and it showed them blowing ice of the frames and they were already coated because the next stop on the line was building up the frame. They were stored outside till the plant was ready for them. So before your truck was ever built, the frame was outside exposed to the elements for who knows how long. GM gets the frames from outside suppliers, always have.

Many probably thought GM built the frames in the same assembly plant as the vehicle.

2009 Press release.

Cosma International, part of global automotive component supplier Magna International, announced today that it will supply the frame assembly for General Motors' next generation of full-size light-duty pickups and sport utility vehicles. It's the third generation of frames that Cosma has been awarded on this platform by GM. The current GMT900 frame is pictured at the top of this post.

According to Magna spokesperson Scott Worden, both the pickup trucks and SUVs will continue to be body-on-frame. Last year, there were rumors that suggested GM's full-size SUVs could shift to unibody construction, like that used for GM's midsize crossovers.

"Receiving this third-generation frame business from GM is a real testament to our ability to deliver on key areas including cost and quality," said Horst Prelog, President, Cosma International. "GM is a long-term valued customer of ours and we look forward to continuing our partnership with them."

Cosma will produce the new frames at two factories, located in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada and Saltillo, Mexico.

Edited by elcamino

Reposting to reply to your inquiries regarding 2016 models:

I just returned from the dealer with PIO0564 version H in hand which covers 2016 vehicles for the same problem so they are obliged to fix it.

You can download TSB below.

https://www.dropbox....I0564H.pdf?dl=0

Unless GM has changed the frame coating specifications for their frame supplier, there is no reason to believe that the issue has gone away.

And changing the specs usually involves a contract change and this means spending more money.

Reposting to reply to your inquiries regarding 2016 models:

I just returned from the dealer with PIO0564 version H in hand which covers 2016 vehicles for the same problem so they are obliged to fix it.

You can download TSB below.

https://www.dropbox....I0564H.pdf?dl=0

Thanks Harley.

I haven't seen any official numbers, but does this happen more on one body type versus another? For example, is it more frequent on Crew Cabs versus Regular Cabs? Does the assembly location have anything to do with it?

Also, when a person would get a new truck off the lot would it be of any benefit to have some undecoating treatment (like Zeibart or similar) done? Or is the whole point that the rust is underneath the spray-on wax? This is a little scary.

Regards,

John

I wonder if GM just uses a more corrosive resistant metal than other manufacturers? These wax coatings don't seem to last more than a few years and almost seem cosmetic more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if GM just uses a more corrosive resistant metal than other manufacturers? These wax coatings don't seem to last more than a few years and almost seem cosmetic more than anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha! Somehow I highly doubt that they do.

I have just spent 2 days after work sandblasting the shit out of all the rust spots visible from normal standing angle, spray painted with some rust protection paint.

I am going to just spot sandblast and touch up from now on to eventually get rid of all the wax shit

I have just spent 2 days after work sandblasting the shit out of all the rust spots visible from normal standing angle, spray painted with some rust protection paint.

I am going to just spot sandblast and touch up from now on to eventually get rid of all the wax shit

Hey Morris I thought I seem somewhere that you might live around or close to Edmonton? I could be mistaken.

There is a shop there that armaguarded my frame. It still chips in small pieces but for almost a year it still looks decent.

Any visible chips and I coat it with a rubber guard spray and it blends with the armaguard.

I would say to the rest here, don't wait for GM to just band aid your truck, you'll have to resort to a more solid coating or strip the frame and paint.

Will post some pics.

EDIT:

Right after the armaguard was applied. Was applied OVER the frame wax. I was warned it might still easily fall off but I am still impressed at the durability. Limited lifetime warranty as well which I would only take it back if huge chunks started to fall off.

post-79641-0-97978500-1462887174_thumb.jpg
post-79641-0-07366800-1462887162_thumb.jpg
post-79641-0-52248200-1452547366_thumb.jpg

Below pics are after a year of use. Lots of gravel miles as well.

All the rust/beige spots in these are just the exhaust pipe or dirt sticking to the wax/armaguard. These pics are just after I touch up some spots with the rubber guard spray.

This is after a year of use. Plenty of gravel miles as well.

post-79641-0-55427900-1468617878_thumb.jpg

post-79641-0-30730900-1468617914_thumb.jpg

post-79641-0-74474400-1468617939_thumb.jpg

post-79641-0-99656600-1468617950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan18

Hey Morris I thought I seem somewhere that you might live around or close to Edmonton? I could be mistaken.

There is a shop there that armaguarded my frame. It still chips in small pieces but for almost a year it still looks decent.

Any visible chips and I coat it with a rubber guard spray and it blends with the armaguard.

I would say to the rest here, don't wait for GM to just band aid your truck, you'll have to resort to a more solid coating or strip the frame and paint.

Will post some pics.

EDIT:

Right after the armaguard was applied. Was applied OVER the frame wax. I was warned it might still easily fall off but I am still impressed at the durability. Limited lifetime warranty as well which I would only take it back if huge chunks started to fall off.

Below pics are after a year of use. Lots of gravel miles as well.

All the rust/beige spots in these are just the exhaust pipe or dirt sticking to the wax/armaguard. These pics are just after I touch up some spots with the rubber guard spray.

This is after a year of use. Plenty of gravel miles as well.

I am in edmonton, I work for lakewood chev now in service, gonna be able to get the diamond kote tdon at a discounted price while I am at work.

I have sandblasted the most visible area like right at the rim of the coilover mount, sprayed it with matte finishing rust paint from princess auto. To be honest, looks brand new there. I did blast more area, it is pretty much all the way around the outer edge of he frame. Took me two days after work.

Truck will be on a hoist and they will spray diamond kote underbody coating which also adds sound proofing to road noise