What are you towing with your 2014?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3500 lb enclosed trailer up to 5k when loaded pulls great no problems. I really like the hill descent mode that came with the Z71 package it holds itself on a hill when stopped and helps on steep grades so you are not riding the brakes.

3500 lb enclosed trailer up to 5k when loaded pulls great no problems. I really like the hill descent mode that came with the Z71 package it holds itself on a hill when stopped and helps on steep grades so you are not riding the brakes.

I've noticed it holding on stops but how or what does it do going down a hill?

I have not dug into exactly how it works but here is my experience. If you are descending a steep grade and are riding the brakes the system seem to either put the brakes on itself? and or use the engine to keep the truck at the same speed without you touching the brakes again. I thought it was pretty cool. It disengages as soon as you touch the gas pedal. On a incline if you pull up to a for instance red light and stop the system automatically holds the truck to keep it from rolling back now that is handy.

Pulled my travel trailer to a mud park this past weekend. I figure loaded with water and gear we were around 6500lbs. Silverado pulled awesome. Even in high side wind. Seems like whatever they've changed on the suspension doesn't let the truck want to walk in high winds like my 2010 did. Plenty of power, noticeable difference compared to the 2010. And the tow/haul mode is greatly improved. Just a little loud with the exhaust I have, but no big deal. I like the sound.

I pulled my 7000lb travel trailer and it pulled fine. Better than my Titan did.

I did notice the shocks were extremely soft, so I guess that'll be my next upgrade. It was kinda bouncy.

I did notice the shocks were extremely soft, so I guess that'll be my next upgrade. It was kinda bouncy.

I would do rear air bags. You keep the factory ride and just add air to help them. If you switch to a stiffer shock your ride without the trailer would suffer.

I'm an advocate of Timbrens over airbags. Super easy to install. No need for compressors or adjusting inflation. They don't really change the ride since there is still about a 1" gap.

I'm an advocate of Timbrens over airbags. Super easy to install. No need for compressors or adjusting inflation. They don't really change the ride since there is still about a 1" gap.

Do you have these on your 2014? Or, is this based on past experience?

Do you have these on your 2014? Or, is this based on past experience?

Past experience. I haven't put them in this truck yet, but will before moving the boat.

Past experience. I haven't put them in this truck yet, but will before moving the boat.

Got it. I'm trying to decide which way I want to go. Trying to negate some of the squat in the rear of the truck. It will look bad with a leveling kit and the rear squatted like that.

Remember, spring force (factory leafs, Timbrens, airbags, etc.) and dampening (shocks) are two different aspects of suspension. Shocks do virtually nothing to support the load. All they do is resist relative movement of the load. They resist movement...that's it. Note this assumes no cool air-over, coilover shocks, etc. Let's keep it simple.

If you're squatting too much, don't default to bags to help. Probably won't actually fix the problem which is, too much load. If you're not squatting but you're moving around too much during bumps, moving the load may help a bit, but additional damping may also. So, "stiffer" shocks. Be aware that this will probably sacrifice unloaded ride quality as well. Best of both worlds? Adjustable shocks, ala Rancho 9000x series or the like.

Trucks are really all about compromise. We want Cadillac DTS ride w/ Kenworth towing capacity. Noooot gonna happen.

Archived