In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
nomadicdogg

bedliner with hole cutouts for moveable hooks not molded correctly?

anyone else with the GM bedliner that is made to be used with the GM accessory tie down hooks in the bed having issues with the holes not molded to the correct size to be able to use the hooks?

anyone else with the GM bedliner that is made to be used with the GM accessory tie down hooks in the bed having issues with the holes not molded to the correct size to be able to use the hooks?

If your talking about the upper tie downs. I installed my liner myself. It came with no holes drilled around the top. Just the the bottom ones. However it had little dimple molded in liner where each upper tie down could go. If you wanted to use all of them and be able to move your tie downs around you drilled them all out to I believe it was 3 1/2". If not planning on moving them you drilled the ones you want to use to 2". Thats what I did. I just drilled the four where I had my tie downs installed to 2", don't plan on moving them. Used a regular hole saw and go slow so you don't melt the plastic, then cleaned up edges with a sharp knive. I'm at work now, I can post a pic of mine tonight if you want.

picked it up today and found the issue is in the size of the cups that cover the holes.. my dealer had me thinking the wholes were cut wrong and in the wrong places. GM is making new covers for the holes.

picked it up today and found the issue is in the size of the cups that cover the holes.. my dealer had me thinking the wholes were cut wrong and in the wrong places. GM is making new covers for the holes.

My tie downs go in fine but I have not been able to install the plastic covers in the holes that are not being used by a tie down. Is this what you are referring to?

My tie downs go in fine but I have not been able to install the plastic covers in the holes that are not being used by a tie down. Is this what you are referring to?

yes, those covers were mismolded. from what my dealer told me they will be making new ones shortly

I fought the GM molder bedliner for a couple days. The dealer drilled out the 6 holes on the side using the molded in dimple to center the hole - all the holes were off by one half inch, so ground out to allow tiedowns to be inserted. But I did not like the liner sitting off the bed wall so much and would have made it very difficult to insert the GM tiedowns and next to impossible to remove them. My dealer said I was the first one that wanted to use the upper tiedowns and were unsure of what needed to be done to fix. Well, I had them take out the plastic bedliner and put a "Spray in Liner" with a bed mat. The spray in liner was installed over all the plastic plugs in the bed - just used a razor knife to cut out the plugs that I wanted to utilize and left the other ones installed - very easy to do due to the spray in liner not sticking to the plastic plugs. I just cut around the plug, but still on the plastic and then yanked the plugs out - destroyed the 4 plugs though. I then installed "Silverado Bull Ring Retractable Tiedowns" - these can be left in the truck full time fully retracted. I am very satisfied with my truck tiedown set up and overall bed protection.

When I tried putting mine in just to get them out of the back seat I couldn't get the plugs from out of the bed. I ended up stopping so I didn't scratch the bed too bad.

When I tried putting mine in just to get them out of the back seat I couldn't get the plugs from out of the bed. I ended up stopping so I didn't scratch the bed too bad.

Ive heard they are a pain to remove. pretty much have to ruin the caps to pull them it seems. I intend to put mine is specific ones and always leave them there...

I fought the GM molder bedliner for a couple days. The dealer drilled out the 6 holes on the side using the molded in dimple to center the hole - all the holes were off by one half inch, so ground out to allow tiedowns to be inserted. But I did not like the liner sitting off the bed wall so much and would have made it very difficult to insert the GM tiedowns and next to impossible to remove them. My dealer said I was the first one that wanted to use the upper tiedowns and were unsure of what needed to be done to fix. Well, I had them take out the plastic bedliner and put a "Spray in Liner" with a bed mat. The spray in liner was installed over all the plastic plugs in the bed - just used a razor knife to cut out the plugs that I wanted to utilize and left the other ones installed - very easy to do due to the spray in liner not sticking to the plastic plugs. I just cut around the plug, but still on the plastic and then yanked the plugs out - destroyed the 4 plugs though. I then installed "Silverado Bull Ring Retractable Tiedowns" - these can be left in the truck full time fully retracted. I am very satisfied with my truck tiedown set up and overall bed protection.

your dealer should not have had to drill anything. the bed liner that is made for the hook use comes pre drilled. the issue is the plastic caps that are to cover the holes you dont intend to use do not fit in the pre drilled holes.

I;m not a fan of spray in liners, I dont really use my truck as a truck per say, I have a trailer that gets beat up. I dont like the rough texture of the sprays.

but it sounds like it worked well for you.

your dealer should not have had to drill anything. the bed liner that is made for the hook use comes pre drilled. the issue is the plastic caps that are to cover the holes you dont intend to use do not fit in the pre drilled holes.

I;m not a fan of spray in liners, I dont really use my truck as a truck per say, I have a trailer that gets beat up. I dont like the rough texture of the sprays.

but it sounds like it worked well for you.

The bottom 4 tiedowns do indeed have predrilled holes and covers to go with them, but the top ones did not have any holes (GM Bedliner) and had to drill out if you wanted to use the upper tiedowns with the removable tie downs that GM supplies with the new trucks. My dealer did not have any bedliner and could not get any with the top 9 tiedown holes drilled out - the bedliner just did not fit very well if you ever wanted to use the upper tiedowns - you may be able to get the GM tiedowns in, but next to impossible to remove and relocate as designed. I'm running the spray in liner, GM bed mat and GM rollup tanneau cover. I do use the upper tie downs - my 2004 GMC Sierra had access holes on the top of the rail that I installed some retractable Bull Ring tie downs in the 4 corners, but the rail top is not accessible to install the same for the 2014. The dealer pulled the GM bedliner and gave me a swap for the spray in bedliner ........I did the mat. I find it really strange that I am the first one for my dealer that wanted a bedliner and wanted to use the upper tie downs too .........

Edited by michaeldc46
  • Like 1

The bottom 4 tiedowns do indeed have predrilled holes and covers to go with them, but the top ones did not have any holes (GM Bedliner) and had to drill out if you wanted to use the upper tiedowns with the removable tie downs that GM supplies with the new trucks. My dealer did not have any bedliner and could not get any with the top 9 tiedown holes drilled out - the bedliner just did not fit very well if you ever wanted to use the upper tiedowns - you may be able to get the GM tiedowns in, but next to impossible to remove and relocate as designed. I'm running the spray in liner, GM bed mat and GM rollup tanneau cover. I do use the upper tie downs - my 2004 GMC Sierra had access holes on the top of the rail that I installed some retractable Bull Ring tie downs in the 4 corners, but the rail top is not accessible to install the same for the 2014. The dealer pulled the GM bedliner and game me a swap for the spray in bedliner ........I did the mat. I find it really strange that I am the first one for my dealer that wanted a bedliner and wanted to use the upper tie downs too .........

You have the wrong bedliner it sounds like. gm makes one with pre cut holes and one without those holes. sounds like you had the one without the holes. The one with the pre cut holes has a round opening just like the bottom ones for all of the pods for the hooks. Once I put them in, I dont intend to remove them. I dont haul much in the bed to be honest, I have a trailer for that.

post-122611-0-41538800-1395185411_thumb.jpgI'm not 100% sure but I think they quit making the one with the upper holes. Mine just had the dimples at the top and cut out to clear led lights. They are trying to get away from so many different liners. I just drilled the four where I had my tie downs installed and only to 2" dia. I don't plan on moving them around

post-122611-0-41538800-1395185411_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif20131024_111103s.jpgI'm not 100% sure but I think they quit making the one with the upper holes. Mine just had the dimples at the top and cut out to clear led lights. They are trying to get away from so many different liners. I just drilled the four where I had my tie downs installed and only to 2" dia. I don't plan on moving them around

I just ordered the upper a week ago. still on their accessory page and dealer says easily able to get. Sounds like some dealers just want to move what they have in stock