Trucks are so expensive

I had a fully loaded '00 Silverado LT Z71 4x4 extended cab I bought in the fall of '99 for about $30k. I just bought a new 2014 Silverado 1LT allstar crew cab 4x2 with a 5.3 for the same price. Granted it is 2wd and doesn't have leather, but here over 14 years later I consider it to be a fair deal especially given how much nicer this truck is than my 2000.

Looking at the price of a new LTZ tahoe on the showroom floor made my truck seem cheap.

• Like 2

I think the main thing that makes these trucks seem expensive now is that GM is no longer willing to give them away. After the bankruptcy, they are now interested in making a profit and giving a profit to their shareholders. They've said it time and time again when asked about the slow sales of these new trucks and the new Impala and why they were not giving better rebates. They are willing to sell a few less if it means they are making more profit on the ones they do sell.

Remember around 2004-2005 when GM heavily discounted all their trucks? They had a website showing the discounted prices. It was a fire sale. We all got used to it and can't deal with the new reality of today when they are a profitable company and want to stay that way.

I'd also like to say that other things have really gotten expensive as well. Boats are ridiculous. The same boat I could've bought 25K new 5 years ago is now 35K+. It's really unbelievable and I can't really figure out exactly what is driving the cost increases.

The last reason that prices stay is that people are willing to pay them. Every truck sold is justifying the asking price. So we are doing it to ourselves.

I will be driving my 2002 for years to come. Maybe I'll get a current generation when the next generation comes out and they discount this one.

• Like 1

Virtually every dealer in the United States is discounting trucks around $4-5k and up to $7500, depending on configuration, without haggling. I was able to haggle my price down. I recall having to pay nearer to sticker many years ago. The dealer and mfr deserve to make profits. Its the American way. I like it.

Edited by spurshot

I'm priced out GM.

You could buy a fully loaded single cab, Z-71, auto trans, for $19,999. in mid 90's.

My income has not 2x or 3x, to keep up with the prices.

After 2002, people have lost, the "since", of what, things are worth.

You have to remember, the past prices, to determine the value, today.

My income hasn't gone up 11x (I don't believe) since 1979 when I bought my first home for $18,500 with a monthly payment of $164.

Income just never seems to keep up with the cost of some things! But hopefully with planning you can still afford to buy them.

You can thank the fed and inflation for that.......

But realistically, the makers have come up with all kinds of things to spend your $$$ on that weren't available in the mid nineties. There was no Nav, no heated seats, no 12 way adjustable bucket seats with leather covering, no adjustable pedals, No CD player, No XM/Sirius radio No Bose speakers, no powered retract and heated mirrors, no power sliding rear window, No Bluetooth, no Pandora, No 420 hp engine, No 355 hp engine, No 300 hp engine, No 6 speed automatic, etc.. Build up a truck that is a fair comparison to a 95 "fully loaded" truck and it may be surprising.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

But realistically, the makers have come up with all kinds of things to spend your $$$ on that weren't available in the mid nineties. There was no Nav, no heated seats, no 12 way adjustable bucket seats with leather covering, no adjustable pedals, No CD player, No XM/Sirius radio No Bose speakers, no powered retract and heated mirrors, no power sliding rear window, No Bluetooth, no Pandora, No 420 hp engine, No 355 hp engine, No 300 hp engine, No 6 speed automatic, etc.. Build up a truck that is a fair comparison to a 95 "fully loaded" truck and it may be surprising.

Im not arguing with your point and it is fair. They have included all new hosts of amenities in trucks no seen before but you can not discount the cost of inflation. The original post was saying how his salary has not gone up as fast as inflation compared to trucks and im mentioning that its the fed and its inflation.

Jordan shoes in the 80s were priced at 100 dollars or something like that and if they were released today it would be in the 300s. Inflation or better yet the destruction of the usa dollar......

At one time (many years ago) trucks were very cheap to purchase and had a very good resale. This is the reason why I always like buying a truck. The newer vehicles resale might be good but not like it was years ago. The good resale trucks are vehicles in good condition and used as a second vehicle to work around the house, woods etc. - more of a work horse where scratches/dents are not a big factor etc. Getting it as cheaply as possible. Now people want all the comfort, options possible and the prices are reflecting these costs. Wax for show and not using the truck as a truck. GM still has to average their $12,000 plus higher profit on each truck. I feel the prices in the future will be going out of sight. Some truck models are getting into the price range of very expensive cars or sports cars. If you don't need a truck, you may want to rethink your future purchase. All this new stuff coming out in the future will not be cheap.

Has anyone got the prices of the new 2015 Ford truck coming out next year?

http://www.businessinsider.com/gm-behind-ford-in-pickup-truck-development-2013-7

The big thing to me is the huge markup on options and accessories. Don't buy more than you absolutely have to from the dealership.

I bought a 2WD RCSB WT, only options being the locking diff and mud flaps (didn't even want the flaps but they were there).

I would have paid the $800 or so for the convenience package, but all the RCSBs around that had it were LTs or LTZs for $3-10k more with options I didn't want, and wouldn't pay for.

I would have even preferred the vinyl seats instead of cloth, but those were nowhere to be found. (If you're local and have vinyl and want cloth, PM me :fingersx: )

I paid just under $18k for mine, plus local taxes came to about $19,200 (employee pricing + incentives + $800 trade-in).

The other stuff that I do want, I'm adding myself for much less than getting them through GM. My wheels+tires were only $1200, plus I sold my factory ones for $600.. BedRug was $325 shipped on eBay (it's $490+tax at my local dealer). Doing a semi-DIY hard folding tonneau for about $300. Keyless entry and remote start is $200 installed at Best Buy (<$80 if you DIY, but I don't like messing with wiring).