Trucks are so expensive

My Barber drives a new truck, and is putting his kid thru collage. He charges 16 dollars for a reg. haircut I give him 20. Ive seen him do 3 an hour, while yapping like crazy, not such a bad profession.

OK, prices go up. My father bought a 69 Mustang Mach 1 for under $4k and a house for $15k in an 1969. My 2013 Harley Breakout was more than my parent's house + that Mustang (in 1969). Then again, my salary now would have been extremely rare in 1969 as well. Prices of all commodities have gone up, along with taxes, utilities, etc. The traditional trades of old hardly cut it anymore. I would love to be a barber and shoot the crap all day, can't afford to, so I do what I do now, lol. I'll be a barber when I retire.

A lot of people forget that and good point. People dont things raise in price. But with that said a 2000 silverado was about 25 grand, today thats worth 34 grand. So I guess I would have to believe that current half tons are 40-50% more truck as they cost 10-15k more.

I think if you're going to compare prices of trucks over the years you need to look at comparably equipped trucks. The manufacturers have continuously stacked luxury options on these things over the years. In 1980 nobody would ever have imagined the likes of a crewcab Denali or even the top end LTZ/SLT trucks of 2014. A 2014 LTZ/SLT/Denali would shame a 1975 Cadillac.

Try comparing prices of work trucks thru the years. I think you'll find prices track pretty well with inflation. I think what we're seeing here is a completely morphed vehicle, sort of a luxury/truck hybrid when you look at the better equipped trucks. Remember, there was a time when you couldn't get carpet in a truck, let alone leather bucket seats. The extended cab came along in the seventies, if my memory serves me. Before that, everyone had a standard cab. Crewcabs were something you'd see the oil companies driving, and they were pretty rare.

• Like 1

My Barber drives a new truck, and is putting his kid thru collage. He charges 16 dollars for a reg. haircut I give him 20. Ive seen him do 3 an hour, while yapping like crazy, not such a bad profession.

I have been cutting hair since I was 14 and many times matched my salary as a barracks barber in the Marine Corps, problem is the inconsistency. Most men want their hair cut fresh for the weekend, means Fridays and early Saturdays. Of that 60 he can max out in an hour, you have to account for chair rental (if you don't own the shop) or utilities if you do, plus taxes, supplies, maintenance, etc. It is a very viable profession, especially if you have a good core of customers, just inconstant and I value stability.

The best part is the social aspect of the whole thing which is why I'll retire at 57 as soon as I am eligible and work in a shop for spare cash flow, lol.

For people who the new prices are a problem, Instead of buying a new truck every few years, keep one for twice as long but keep putting the payment away in a savings or CD even when its paid off. Without paying interest on a loan you'll get a new truck quicker, pay cash and not have debt.

And remember the golden rule of why there IS finance: if you don't have it in the bank, you can't afford it.

Sticker price was 45, incentives knocked it down to around 37... With trade-in I ended up financing 28.

'14 silverado lt cc 4x4.

Those high country's were nice, but you should only get what you can afford!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For people who the new prices are a problem, Instead of buying a new truck every few years, keep one for twice as long but keep putting the payment away in a savings or CD even when its paid off. Without paying interest on a loan you'll get a new truck quicker, pay cash and not have debt.

And remember the golden rule of why there IS finance: if you don't have it in the bank, you can't afford it.

Then why is everybody on here referring to the truck they just bought as "my truck"? Is it paid off? If not, it is not your truck. It is a bank's truck until it is paid off. :lol:

I made over 70% in the stock market last year. I'm paying 2.25% interest on $50k for this truck. Why would I use my money for a truck? I went with 100% financing. I'd be glad to call it "the bank's truck". LOL.

Edited by spurshot

I made over 70% in the stock market last year. I'm paying 2.25% interest on $50k for this truck. Why would I use my money for a truck? I went with 100% financing. I'd be glad to call it "the bank's truck". LOL.

Where can you get 2.25% return with zero risk on short term funds?

Then why is everybody on here referring to the truck they just bought as "my truck"? Is it paid off? If not, it is not your truck. It is a bank's truck until it is paid off. :lol:

Made to order. Zero interest. No trade in. One payment.

Purchased February 25. I hardly drive it but

its mine. 181 miles. Factory Plastic is

still on its seats.

Edited by hell on wheels

Where can you get 2.25% return with zero risk on short term funds?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 2.25% is cheap money. I'll take it all day long. I recall having a car loan that was in the teens % back in the days of the peanut farmer president. Money in the bank was falling in real value by the week. Buying a $50k new truck is not a financially great idea in itself, but we indulge ourselves for some things. Everyone has their own financial plan. Whatever works best for each of us.

Edited by spurshot