3000 Miles and I get a Low Oil Warning on my dash.

Today I was on my normal daily drive and my info center started making a tone and said to add oil because it was low!! I checked and its well below the hash marks. Has anyone else had this problem. I want to add oil but I want the dealer to see it and notice how low the oil really is. There has to be someting wrong to burn that much oil??

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dealer's service guy told me that "normal" would be losing about 1 qt every 3000 miles. I told him I've never experienced that much oil consumption in any vehicle I've owned and he said that the other vehicles I had didn't old as much oil, and got changed every 3,000 miles so it wasn't as noticeable. Hhmmm

I'd be checking for leaks for sure!!!

I will be watching very close tonight and tomorrow...Im trying to figure out if I should wait to take it in tomorrow or add oil??

My dealer's service guy told me that "normal" would be losing about 1 qt every 3000 miles. I told him I've never experienced that much oil consumption in any vehicle I've owned and he said that the other vehicles I had didn't old as much oil, and got changed every 3,000 miles so it wasn't as noticeable. Hhmmm

Well Im in that range right now and it does seem to be a quart or so low after 3000....I just don't know.

In the 3000 before the light came on how many times did you check your oil? Ryan

So this is begging the question. How many people are adding oil between oil changes (assuming roughly 7000 miles), and how much are you having to add? I checked mine quite a few times before my first oil change and the oil level was always OK.

So add the oil and drive? Or take it to the dealership to get service??

I'd check the oil in the morning when the engine is good and cold. Then carefully add just enough to bring to the proper mark and document mileage and the amount of oil and talk to the dealer about it.

In the 3000 before the light came on how many times did you check your oil? Ryan

To be honest, I just checked it once around the 500 mile mark to make sure everything was normal. Ive owned GM trucks my entire life and never had to add oil. I always do a oil change around 3000/4000 miles.

Im just wondering if it was low to begin with and if this should be a very big concern.

I'd check the oil in the morning when the engine is good and cold. Then carefully add just enough to bring to the proper mark and document mileage and the amount of oil and talk to the dealer about it.

I will probally do this or just drive it to the dealer in the morning and let them see how low it really is.

To be honest, I just checked it once around the 500 mile mark to make sure everything was normal. Ive owned GM trucks my entire life and never had to add oil. I always do a oil change around 3000/4000 miles.

Im just wondering if it was low to begin with and if this should be a very big concern.

I will probally do this or just drive it to the dealer in the morning and let them see how low it really is.

Was it low when you checked it at 500 miles? I guess all you can do is add the oil, rule out obvious leaks, and keep a close eye on it for the next 3000 miles.

Was it low when you checked it at 500 miles? I guess all you can do is add the oil, rule out obvious leaks, and keep a close eye on it for the next 3000 miles.

It was within the hash marked area, maybe right at it. Its now at the very end of the dip stick...is that about a quart?

It was within the hash marked area, maybe right at it. Its now at the very end of the dip stick...is that about a quart?

I'm not sure, but maybe the manual will tell you how low before the oil alarm comes on.

Archived