In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Just curious if anybody out there had transmission issues just outside of the warranty? We have a 2008 Acadia with 79,000 and the transmission just decided it had enough this evening. I lost reverse, 3rd and 5th gears. Of course it is out of the 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty by 6 months and outside the CPO warranty by 4,000 miles. I am going to call the dealer in the morning to see if there is anything they can do.

they should ,,,,is the oil burnt at all ? or is it unservicable oil level transmission

The transmission fluid is clean and nice and pink. It doesn't smell burnt at all. It gave no notice or didn't act different at all before it just gave out. I still can't believe there would be a transmission problem with under 80,000 miles on the vehicle.

Hi 01 1500HD,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. I understand that you are setting up an appointment to have your vehicle looked at by your local dealership. Please keep us updated on your vehicle issue and private message me if you have any lingering questions or concerns.

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

That is definitely the dreaded "wave plate" failure. Unfortunately it's a common issue with the 2007-2009 version of these transmissions. As a matter of fact I just got back from picking up my 2009 Enclave this morning for the same issue. Lucky for me it was still under the powertrain warranty so mine was covered.

Do some searching on the internet and particularly at http://www.acadiaforum.net before you go to the dealer. Be polite but argue with them about having at least part of it covered. From what I have found out GM is well aware of the issue but they have no plans to issue a recall.

Just thought I would give an update. It was in fact the wave plate issue. We argued with GM that at 79,000 miles we shouldn't be worrying about a transmission. GM did pick up part of the bill, but we are still out $1,700 for our part of the repair. I have been a loyal GM fan for 25 years and it seems the newer vehicles do not compare in quality as the older versions.

I had a 2001 GMC 1500HD that was bullet proof, loved the truck but the fuel was eating me up. My current 2010 1500 is no where near built as well. Then we get hit with the issue with the Acadia and all the news lately about GM, I am starting to lose faith in the brand.

• Like 1

Hello 01 1500HD,

Thank you for the update. We are glad your dealership was able to diagnose your concern and assist you with the repairs. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way based on your current situation. We appreciate your feedback and would be happy to document in our system. Please send us a private message with your full contact info and VIN.

Thank you,

Andraya R.

GM Customer Care

Bad luck for sure. Not any help now but that is one reason I stay away from fwd, on most rides. Honda is the only fwd I feel ok about. How much was the total repair? Did they do it or a trans shop?

STex, the GM dealer where we purchased the vehicle did the repair. I thought with buying a CPO vehicle we would at least have a decent used vehicle.

The total bill was 2,695 and we had to pay 1,695. I still am not happy with the whole deal.The more I researched the issue, GM knew there was a problem with these wave plates but failed to do anything. Just when they go out to replace it with the updated version. What a bunch of crap.

I am pretty sure my 25 years of loyalty to GM is over. When it comes time for a new vehicles we will be looking else where.

Hello 01 1500HD

I am so sorry you feel that way based on your current situation. General Motors takes comments like this very seriously, and I have documented your concern along with your comments in our system. General Motors relies heavily on loyal customers and I hope one day we may be given the opportunity to earn your business again. If you'd like to discuss this further please send us a private message with the previously requested information.

Thank you,

Andraya R.

GM Customer Care

Just thought I would give an update. It was in fact the wave plate issue. We argued with GM that at 79,000 miles we shouldn't be worrying about a transmission. GM did pick up part of the bill, but we are still out $1,700 for our part of the repair. I have been a loyal GM fan for 25 years and it seems the newer vehicles do not compare in quality as the older versions.

I had a 2001 GMC 1500HD that was bullet proof, loved the truck but the fuel was eating me up. My current 2010 1500 is no where near built as well. Then we get hit with the issue with the Acadia and all the news lately about GM, I am starting to lose faith in the brand.

Yes, that would burn me too. Especially so close to wty ending and low miles. I am sure too, there are some low miles out of 5 yr wty 5.3 07-10 trucks out there that are just starting to drink oil.

Edited by STex

That's what bothers me about our '09 Traverse; it'll be 5 in August, but currently only has 28k miles on it. Don't know if this will affect the waveplate issue, but since reading of it, we've gotten in the habit of not shifting to reverse until RPMs have dropped to 700 on cold starts.

I know this thread is old, but I just thought I would give an update. I received a letter in the mail today stating that GM finally took responsibility that the wave plate is an issue and will reimburse us any out of pocket money spent to repair the issue.

My faith in GM has improved slightly, but I still do not understand if they know it is an issue why they cannot take responsibility from the beginning? It would have changed my outlook on GM as I have stated earlier I have been a loyal GM fan for over 25 years. I now have a 2010 Sierra that is drinking oil almost as fast as the gas.

I know this thread is old, but I just thought I would give an update. I received a letter in the mail today stating that GM finally took responsibility that the wave plate is an issue and will reimburse us any out of pocket money spent to repair the issue.

My faith in GM has improved slightly, but I still do not understand if they know it is an issue why they cannot take responsibility from the beginning? It would have changed my outlook on GM as I have stated earlier I have been a loyal GM fan for over 25 years. I now have a 2010 Sierra that is drinking oil almost as fast as the gas.

Well that's good they coughed up some cash !!

Now fire that 2010 in their face and say " fix it " !!!!!

Glad to hear you are being reimbursed, though a lot of frustration could have been avoided to begin with.

While the 5yrs was up in your case, I think this issue is only part of the reason GM is changing the powertrain warranty to only 60k miles! The 5.3 AFM oil issue adds to the reason also.

Besides the trans issue, have you been happy with your Acadia?