2014 5.3L catch can question.

Who has installed a catch can on the 2014 L83?

I did a search and came up with nothing. I'm sure someone has.

What I am looking for is a good write-up....my understanding is that the installation is different from 2013 and previous installs.

I know RX makes a good one, who else makes a good catch can that is more than just an empty aluminum can?

I would not say DI engines have blow by, by design all engines have blow by.

Yes, all engines do....I wasn't exactly trying to be overly specific.

I'm not going into an indepth analysis of why it's needed....but DI engines are typically more prone to the issue. This is why I am looking at options and seeing if anyone has installed one.

EDIT: Got off my rear and looked. The PCV line that I think I would need to tie into is on the driver's side. Issue now is that the "easy" install would be to cut the hard line and install it in line.

----However, I am not and never have been a fan of damaging a part if I can remove it and keep it if I need to replace it. The rear fitting is slam on the rear of the freaking block...it is a pain to get to if I need reattach anything. I guess I could pull the manifold....again getting into something I would prefer not to be doing with less than 1K miles.

Edited by 14'SilveradoLT

I haven't heard of these engines having any blowby issues. That would be caused typically from bad ring seal. I did use a catch can on my 2002 Harley F150 as the supercharged 5.4L engines were notorious for "pulling" in oil from the PCV system and coating the intercooler when additional boost was added.

All engines have it, I'm not sure about how "good" or "bad" it is on the new Ecotec engines....I just figured it was cheap insurance to keep the upper tract cleaner. Running meth/water injection also accomplshes similar outcomes on the backside of the valves.

FI engines def have a worse issue, haha. They do it in vaccum and boost...which normally lends itself to needed a dual check valve system or dual cans.

Edited by 14'SilveradoLT

Excessive crank crase pressure is not good period. So you can't really say how "good" or "bad" when it would be a problem. The gen3 or gen4 engines never had a problem so I don't see where adding direct injection to basically a redesigned LS engine causes crank case issues. DI engines are new to me so I'm not an expert but I don't think any normally aspirated engine will have an issue drawing in excess oil unless they have excessive crank case pressures(ring seal). Especially on a factory stock built engine this day and age. But hey, go forth with your project and let us know how much oil is acquired in the can after so many miles.

It may not be a problem at all since no one has installed it, haha. I'm still seeing just how easily I can get to the line at the rear of the block. The easy route is to cut the hard line....but I'm not big on that unless I can easily re-attach it again with an OEM line if needed.

The LQ9 had some issues, I remember seeing the oil in my TB on several occassions.

Edited by 14'SilveradoLT

From what I've read, the reason people add catch can is to prevent the intake valves from forming deposits.

Modern engines vent their crank case gases into the intake tube before the throttle body via the PCV tube. These oily gases are sucked into the combustion chamber to be burned. It's this oil that are the source of deposits that can form on the backside of the intake valve. On any engine that has the fuel injected upstream of the combustion chamber, the fuel can help keep the back of the intake valve clean and free of carbon buildup. Since the DI engine injects it's fuel directly into the cylinder, there is no fuel being injected at the back of the valve (just air and any oily crank case gases). With nothing to clean the deposits, they can build up and cause problems with air flow/power.

A catch can goes between the PCV and the intake tube to help "catch" oil before entering the intake. This should help reduce the amount of oil that could turn into valve deposits.

I haven't seen any specific catch can setups for the new Ecotec3 motors. I'm guessing it would require a can connected to both sides of the motor. As I understand it, both valve covers contain a PCV system hence two hoses to the intake tube. The PCV system on these new Ecotec motors is suppose to be more robust then the previous generation motors.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/May/Silverado-May-5/0505-silv-powertrain.html:

"New domed rocker covers house a patent-pending integrated positive crankcase ventilation system that enhances oil life, reduces oil consumption and reduces exhaust emissions. The domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases, with about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines."

• Like 1

If it would be efficient to use the tubes going into the intake tube I would just do that since that one would be easy as heck with the AFE intake. However most systems go inline between the PCV valve near the TB and the remainer of the line that flows back toward the engine.

However, You would think a dual set-up bewteen both sides of the engine and the intake tract would work....I mean that's basically where it ends up if it gets pulled back through the TB.

I wonder if the way the large chambers in the stock intake are designed that way to decrease the amount of oil going into the intake tract?

PCV ports are on the valve cover. You can remove both hard lines and save. Place catch can anywhere you want but it will either need 2 lines in the lid or you will need a "T" to connect to single line can. Then you come out of can and back to intake or simply plug off intake and terminate PCV lines at catch can. The lines are 5/8 coming out of breathers and cheap old 5/8 heater hose will work. It's really not to complicated

Edited by TDT

PCV ports are on eCh valve cover. You can remove both hard lines and save. Place catch can anywhere you want but it will either need 2 lines in the lid or you will need a "T" to connect to single line can. Then you come out of can and back to intake or simply plug off intake and terminate PCV lines at catch can. The lines are 5/8 coming out of breathers and cheap old 5/8 heater hose will work. It's really not to complicated

Actually, you really shouldn't use heater hose. A regular heater hose is not oil resistant and will start to decompose over time. This could lead to the hose losing its structural rigidity and collapsing when there is a vacuum. This could collapse the hose and block the PCV system altogether.

You should really use an oil resistant hose that are capable of withstanding a vacuum for the PCV catch can lines.

Something like this: http://www.hosecraftusa.com/model/RM1_Multipurpose_Rubber_Nitrile_Hose

Edited by fondupot