In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Jacksfan98

Free Oil Change Issue?

I had my oil changed with under 3k and the service manager never said a word other than to say I was smart to get it done and not wait till the oil monitor says so

I was told regardless of the percentage, I should bringing it in every 5k (and have the tires rotated) or every 6 months, whichever happened first.

Unfortunately, I had to force the issue with my first oil change... And Thanks to this thread I got it done including the tire rotation and 27 point inspection... The service rep tells me that it has to be at 20% or less or 1 YEAR!!! I started by saying I need to see that in writing and explain to her that the truck has 4700k miles and the oil has been in the Truck for 6 months... I tried to soften her up by adding "this is the most important oil change this Truck will get"... She puts me on hold, WITH OUT EVEN ASKING, and comes back with "Will we do it now as a 1 time courtesy but next time will be 20% or 1 year"... Unreal... May have to do with me purchasing the Truck out of State... Dunno..

Don't come back to that dealership.

Just read the whole thread. Wow, some real clowns at some of these dealerships out there. Sorry, I don't beg a business to take my money, I just move on to another until I find one that treats me like a paying customer not a head of cattle. I've just had the fourth 'free' oil change. Took it in early at 22k miles to make sure I get my money's worth. I've never had a problem with % left on the monitor either. They simply told me when I bought the truck that I get up to four oil changes before 24,000 miles. Now, after reading up on DI engines and how important clean oil is for them, I'll be taking mine in every 5,000 miles regardless what the monitor says.

Edited by mjb4450

My local dealership did not give me any grief over the 4 "free" oil changes but the downside to the tire rotation is that the air wrench has messed up my lug nuts. Going to try and make them replace them or do like I have always done in the past, do my own tire rotations.

I had my first 'free' oil change done at around 3K on both trucks w/o issue.

I don't really trust who these dealerships have changing the oil, low man in the shop. I'll change my own.

• Like 1

I don't really trust who these dealerships have changing the oil, low man in the shop. I'll change my own.

Same here, but I gotta' wonder...do they prime the new filter and use a clean funnel? I've only had 2 "free" changes. When the next one was due I did it myself, the drain plug was so tight I needed a breaker bar to loosen it, it finally let go with a loud crack.........lucky, no damage, doing it myself from now on. BTW, I pay no attention to the oil monitor, my truck, my money, my schedule.

Same here, but I gotta' wonder...do they prime the new filter and use a clean funnel? I've only had 2 "free" changes. When the next one was due I did it myself, the drain plug was so tight I needed a breaker bar to loosen it, it finally let go with a loud crack.........lucky, no damage, doing it myself from now on. BTW, I pay no attention to the oil monitor, my truck, my money, my schedule.

So how long do you go 12,000? 15,000?

After spinning #2 rod bearing on the 4.4 litre engine on my 51 gmc 350 (16000 gvw) 100 miles from home, i change all my oil at 3000 miles or less. If i dont like the color of the oil i change it. Some say im just throwing money away and for me thats fine its better than throwing an engine away or paying the cost for a rebuild or a crate. Oil is cheap insurance for todays overpriced vehicles. For many its the cheapest maintenance cost but its the least checked or changed. All i need now is an oil level monitor to go with my oil percentage life monitor so that i dont even have to open the hood. Now that would be cats bolt.

• Like 1

So how long do you go 12,000? 15,000?

The majority of my driving are short errands, sometimes the engine does not reach operating temperature so my focus is time as opposed to mileage, so let's just say my changes are more frequent than average, roughly every 3 months and hoo-boy is that oil black in the drain pan.

Different vehicle usage is the whole reason that the OLM was developed.

• Like 1

No problem with my local dealer and I didn't even buy from them. My advisor said I could bring it in 4 days in a row and use them all. Miles and OLM didn't matter, just 4 in the first 2 years.

No problems either with the dealership I bring mine too I was going on a long trip with my truck and wanted the oil changed and everything gone over and my guage was reading 73% oil life yet and when I told them I wanted the free oil change they said no problem and if any other updates were available they would do that also