High Country Should You Buy One, my thoughts after 5 months and a Warn

Just wanted to post my thoughts, it might stop someone from making a 50K mistake.

I bought one of the first High Country's that arrived in town.

A beautiful White Diamond with just about everything on it.

I will put the negatives out first just so everyone knows;

1. The Ride is rougher than the Z71. The premium suspension under the High Country is unforgiving. You will feel every bump in the road. You even feel every small crack in the road. I asked GM's rep about this when they were working on my vibration issues. They tell me it is just the way the High Country is made.
  2. At present I have been unable to find a suitable substitute for the front struts to get rid of this rough ride. Maybe next year but for now I am stuck with it.
  3. I spoke with the local accessory shop today, the High Country has been out for months now and he is starting to get quit a few complaints about the ride. I asked him about Rancho's strut replacement and he told me that it would make it worse. According to him the shocks under the High Country now are Bilsteins, hopefully they will release aftermarkets soon.
  4. When buying the High Country the hype is about how it is a premium truck. Ask a salesman and he will tell you the ride is better in the High Country than the Z71 LTZ. Do not believe it, it is salesman BS.

The Positives;

1. Love the interior and styling. While you do not get much more than if you get on an LTZ fully loaded, it is unique and IMO looks better than the Cocoa Dune.
  2. Although the rims are ugly IMO, the truck overall looks very sharp IMO.
  3. If you like Chrome this truck is for you, that is what it is all about.
  4. I bought the 6.2, and with the high performance suspension it is a pleasure to drive. It handles great. If I only drove with my foot to the floor or at a stop this truck would be great. The rough day to day ride is worse than the pleasure I get out of how it handles.

If you are considering the top of the line chevy and think the High Country might be the truck, compare and drive a fully loaded Z71 LTZ and make the comparison.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Z60 suspension on my LTZ and it is a little on the rough side but not excessively so. I really don't see the point of the high country and I like the looks of my LTZ with the 20 inch rims better. Either way it sounds like you have a nice truck. Have you checked your tire pressure? Maybe that is why it is riding so rough for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one never considered the high country(I am a Chevy guy) because the sierra front looked an entire league a head above this Chevy model year in the front and that leather was a weak showing to compete with the king ranch superior look. I ordered a gmc denali 6.2L just last week and the cocoa dune was perfect for me, that high country brown/red was just an odd color to me for the normal buyer....pretty extreme.

The Z60 suspension should ride nicer than the Z71 suspension no? I have the Z71 in my All Terrain and I honestly do not think it rides that bad at all.

OP, what PSI do you run your tires at? I found that if I ran mine at 38-40 psi it rode damn rough. Lowered down to 33-34 rides much better and has much better road manners.

The difference between 18" wheels and tires on a Z71 LTZ vs. 20" on your High Country would make quite a bit of difference, I'd think...

As previously mentioned, high air pressure would contribute to that as well.

My High Country rides better than my 2011 Z71 LTZ did IMO. The chrome grew on me (I think it's the grill).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I run between 32 and 34 psi.

The High Country comes with 20" rims.

No doubt certain tires and smaller rimes might improve the ride as well, but I have compared identical tires and rims on the High Country and Z71's.

I have driven four High Country's now. They all felt about the same. Depending on where you live you might not notice the ride difference. The roads here in Oklahoma where I live are crap.

The wife owns a 2014 LTZ Z71 and we put a 3.5" RC lift and 305/55/20 Nittos on it. It rides smoother than the High Country even with the lift. I have drive 6 other Z71's and they all were a bit smoother. My 2008 Z71 road smoother as well.

To answer the question about the Z60 suspension vs the Z71 it is my understanding that the Z60 rides a bit rougher and is stiffer. It is a street suspension and designed to keep more pressure on the front tires and improve handling. The High Country does handle better than the Z71's.

I posted this thread just in case someone is looking at the High Country to buy. Just a warning that they should test drive both and see what they think.

May i ask what tires you are running? When my High Country came in it had the Wrangler SR-A's on it and it rode great and quiet. Lots better than my 12 Z71 and my 13 non Z71 in my opinion. I traded for the LS-2's and there is definitely a big difference, rides rougher and a ton more road noise (comparatively speaking). I lowered mine a few inches and wanted the more "street aggressive" and wider foot print of the LS-2's. My only ride quality complaint is body roll but I am considering adding a rear sway bar. Pulling my boat it seems too "plush" to me. Overall, I am very pleased with the truck.

I put 285/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers on it.

When I first had this complaint I took it to the dealer and we we have had several sets of stock tires on it to compare with. The Nittos actually had a smoother ride.

Body roll is not one of my complaints, the Z71 has more body roll IMO.

Lowering your truck and going for "street aggresisive" the High Country is the right truck. My use though I have already damaged the plastic on the front end because of the low rake. I need to do a lift.

It's interesting that you say the HC rides rough. I was desperate for a 6.2, since winter, but had to drive one first, but there were none. So I waited and looked every month or so, then a few started showing up, and a HC-6.2 showed up at a local Chevy dealer to I went to drive it, and my first impression was "everyone says these new trucks ride great and this one is worse than my '11 S.Denali, what the hell" I checked the tire pressures and they were at 42! Salesman was not happy, but I didn't have time to go back to drive later. But the 6.2-6sp impressed me enough over my current one, that I called my GMC friend dealer and said get me a 6.2 w/std suspension. He finally found one and traded his SD-5.3 for me for it. I LOVE how this SLT rides. No harshness at all, more like an older big sedan. Doesn't handle great, but I'll take it just the way it is. Mine is not a Z71.

One thing I noticed on the HC sticker was it said something like 'high performance or heavy duty' suspension, and that concerned me. I'm pretty sure you can change it to make it better, but I believe you'll also have to change the sway bars too, as I think they get heavier which would certainly attest to your saying it handles great. You will give that up, but pretty sure it can be done, but at some expense.

Archived