King Coilover Shocks Installed

OK, so I took the leap too. Got them installed a week or so ago. I did the work myself. Went with RC UCAs first and found out they were crap and wouldn't allow full camber/caster adjustment, so I returned them. I ended up with Cognitos at the recommendation of the sales guy at King. King is down the road a bit from my work. I put in all 4 shocks. The ride is phenomenal. Better than any of my past trucks equipped with Bilsteins. The more I drive it the better I like it. One of the best mods I've done to this truck. The Cognito UCAs clear my factory 18x8.5, 5.5" backspace rims and 305/60 tires.

DSC_2704Medium_zpsd557e99d.jpg

DSC_2718Medium_zps4445348f.jpg

Has anybody done this on a 2500 4x4 LML? I wouldn't mind losing the Tbar in place of a coil over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody done this on a 2500 4x4 LML? I wouldn't mind losing the Tbar in place of a coil over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're talking about building a whole custom suspension. There's no spring pad on the frame. The Lower A arm may or may not take the load of the truck into the pad for the shock. The lower and upper A arms may or may not be offset to allow room for the coil over and half-shaft on a 4x4. Just a whole lot of unknowns.

But....for the total upgrade guy, you're in luck. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/115962-2500hd-coil-over-conversion/

Edited by spurshot

OK, so I took the leap too. Got them installed a week or so ago. I did the work myself. Went with RC UCAs first and found out they were crap and wouldn't allow full camber/caster adjustment, so I returned them. I ended up with Cognitos at the recommendation of the sales guy at King. King is down the road a bit from my work. I put in all 4 shocks. The ride is phenomenal. Better than any of my past trucks equipped with Bilsteins. The more I drive it the better I like it. One of the best mods I've done to this truck. The Cognito UCAs clear my factory 18x8.5, 5.5" backspace rims and 305/60 tires. You guys definitely need to save all your lunch money for this mod.

DSC_2704Medium_zpsd557e99d.jpg

DSC_2718Medium_zps4445348f.jpg

Your comment on much better than Bils got my attention. With Bils 5100s say at $110 a corner, ballpark, how much for your set up, ballpark? If you do not mind sharing the price info. And I would have to pay for install so say2- 4 hours wrench time? Requires spring compressor? Thanks

Edited by STex

The whole setup is pricey. I was hesitant and even after I bought them, but hadn't installed them, I thought it was an extravagant purchase....even after I had completed the install the first week I drove it. Now, I think it was worth it.

Here's some links to the common net pricing. You'll be $2700 into the mod if you do the work yourself. More if you pay for labor. I had a quote of $700 to install the shocks, UCAs, and swaybars and align it. I did the work myself. It wasn't difficult, except for dealing with a no-fit of the Rough Country UCAs. I make a little extension of the rear brake line bracket on the left rear side of the frame to move the bracket away from the shock reservoir.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/ag-15958.15965.15934-gmc-silverado-1500-2008.html

http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/boxed-upper-control-arm-kit-715.html

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can the King's be installed without purchasing new UCA's?

I am just trying to level the truck out but use the stock wheel and tire sizes.

Thanks in advance.

The short answer is "yes". But the longer term issues of the premature ball joint failures from over-travel will likely be catching up with you.

The short answer is "yes". But the longer term issues of the premature ball joint failures from over-travel will likely be catching up with you.

Thanks for the reply.

So if I did swap out the UCA, then I wouldn't have this issue?

I would still be able to run stock rim and tires after the UCA swap?

Thanks for the reply.

So if I did swap out the UCA, then I wouldn't have this issue?

I would still be able to run stock rim and tires after the UCA swap?

The issue, as I understand it, is that the stock UCA angle of travel is inadequate for any increase in extension of the suspension. The shock internal stop is apparently the limiter for suspension extension. The ball joint is reported to bump against the limit of its travel and loosen the fit of the socket. Spacing the stock type shocks out with leveling blocks/spacers allows the suspension to extend further when unloaded.

The aftermarket UCAs have altered angle of the ball joint to allow more extension without hitting their mechanical limit of anglular movement. I don't know that the King, Fox, Dirt Logic, or any other aftermarket shock has more extension than the OEM shock. But the salesman at King recommended I change the UCA to one with more travel in the ball joint. I guess I should have measured the free length of the King vs the OEM.

Cognito had a precaution about oversize tires on stock rims (lots of backspace) with their UCA. I had concerns, but with my stock 18x8.5, 5.5" backspace wheels and 305/60-18 Coopers, I had no problems. I provided that feedback to Cognito. The Cognito salesman thought that caution may have developed with a 17" wheel, but he wasn't sure. Keep in mind that this UCA has been designed for the 2007 GMT900 and later.

So, I just tried a 18x9, 5.75" backspace last week and the rim cleared the UCA adequately. I think the tire will also clear. But an 18" wheel with 5.75" backspace is about the limit of backspace for these Cognito UCAs.

Your comment on much better than Bils got my attention. With Bils 5100s say at $110 a corner, ballpark, how much for your set up, ballpark? If you do not mind sharing the price info. And I would have to pay for install so say2- 4 hours wrench time? Requires spring compressor? Thanks

Very pricey, but they are beautiful and I bet they drive like a dream.

The issue, as I understand it, is that the stock UCA angle of travel is inadequate for any increase in extension of the suspension. The shock internal stop is apparently the limiter for suspension extension. The ball joint is reported to bump against the limit of its travel and loosen the fit of the socket. Spacing the stock type shocks out with leveling blocks/spacers allows the suspension to extend further when unloaded.

The aftermarket UCAs have altered angle of the ball joint to allow more extension without hitting their mechanical limit of anglular movement. I don't know that the King, Fox, Dirt Logic, or any other aftermarket shock has more extension than the OEM shock. But the salesman at King recommended I change the UCA to one with more travel in the ball joint. I guess I should have measured the free length of the King vs the OEM.

Cognito had a precaution about oversize tires on stock rims (lots of backspace) with their UCA. I had concerns, but with my stock 18x8.5, 5.5" backspace wheels and 305/60-18 Coopers, I had no problems. I provided that feedback to Cognito. The Cognito salesman thought that caution may have developed with a 17" wheel, but he wasn't sure. Keep in mind that this UCA has been designed for the 2007 GMT900 and later.

So, I just tried a 18x9, 5.75" backspace last week and the rim cleared the UCA adequately. I think the tire will also clear. But an 18" wheel with 5.75" backspace is about the limit of backspace for these Cognito UCAs.

You are awesome. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Edited by JonD25

• 6 months later...

Very interested in improving the ride of my 4 day old sierra. I've had bilsteins before, and i'm looking for more plush/less sporty, but maintain great controll.

Based on comments from the start, it seems this is about the same on the street as stock, is that true? Spurshot, you made it sound like it's freaking awesome... but want your take on the street. Is it goign to make the horrible highways I drive turn into pillows/clouds?

Thanks for the feedback...

I think www.bajakits.com makes a combo of upper aarms and kings and might also allow for stock wheels, i went with their mid travel kit and just waiting on the kings to install everything, ill probably make a thread on the suspension install

• 1 month later...