King Coilover Shocks Installed

I just returned from a hunting trip. It handles the dirt roads like a trophy truck. That was with the truck full of gear and a topper. The rep at King told me the internal stops in the shocks are designed to stop the extension.

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a hunting trip. It handles the dirt roads like a trophy truck. That was with the truck full of gear and a topper. The rep at King told me the internal stops in the shocks are designed to stop the extension.

Did you decide to just upgrade your sway bars or was it recommended by someone when upgrading your suspension and UCA's?

Nice set up! I use my truck for the same purposes, hauling my bird dogs and I from 10,000' in the Sierra Nevada hunting grouse and mountain quail down to Mojave for Gambel's quail and chukar and a yearly pilgrimage to Montana or South Dakota for pheasants and sharptails. I'll be doing some coilovers and UCA's in the future myself, thanks for posting a review and pics.

Did you decide to just upgrade your sway bars or was it recommended by someone when upgrading your suspension and UCA's?

I just decided, based on my 2008. I bought the same setup. It keeps the truck more stable on the road, especially when loaded up.

• Like 1

I noticed you left the down stop on the frame under the UCA. The instructions from Cognito that came with mine said to cut out the down stops to allow more travel. So, I did it.

That's interesting because I spoke to Cognito about using their arms and the 5100's. He said they don't recommend cutting out the droop stops. I've ordered them so would like a definitive answer before we go to install! Maybe I'll call them back to confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's interesting because I spoke to Cognito about using their arms and the 5100's. He said they don't recommend cutting out the droop stops. I've ordered them so would like a definitive answer before we go to install! Maybe I'll call them back to confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5100s are not an extended travel shock, that's probably why they don't recommend cutting out the droop stops.

• 4 weeks later...

5100s are not an extended travel shock, that's probably why they don't recommend cutting out the droop stops.

i specifically asked cognito about cutting off the droop stops for use with a extended travel shock and was told "i wouldn't cut the droop stops off they are there for a reason if you need more travel then what you are getting you are trying to get to much from the suspension"

Edited by fairway605

i specifically asked cognate about cutting off the droop stops for use with a extended travel shock and was told "i wouldn't cut the droop stops off they are there for a reason if you need more travel then what you are getting you are trying to get to much from the suspension"

yes they are there for a stock control arm to protect over extending the ball joint. when you replace the arm to accommodate the additional travel, the droop stop is now your limiting factor and needs to be removed or else it is essentially limiting your travel and there would be no point in putting an aftermarket set up on.

• Like 1

yes they are there for a stock control arm to protect over extending the ball joint. when you replace the arm to accommodate the additional travel, the droop stop is now your limiting factor and needs to be removed or else it is essentially limiting your travel and there would be no point in putting an aftermarket set up on.

i asked nick at cognito for use with the cognito upper control arms and icon extended travel shocks and thats what he said i have read some say one way some say the other so i guess I'm still not sure

i asked nick at cognito for use with the cognito upper control arms and icon extended travel shocks and thats what he said i have read some say one way some say the other so i guess I'm still not sure

nick at cognito is a sales rep. he didn't engineer the arm.

Im not sure what shocks you are planning to run, but if you use kings or foxs, the shock will be your limit strap. if you don't cut the tab off and you run those shocks, the arm will hit the stop everytime you hit a speed bumb. this will either cause damage to the arm or knock it out of alignment.

nick at cognito is a sales rep. he didn't engineer the arm.

Im not sure what shocks you are planning to run, but if you use kings or foxs, the shock will be your limit strap. if you don't cut the tab off and you run those shocks, the arm will hit the stop everytime you hit a speed bumb. this will either cause damage to the arm or knock it out of alignment.

ok I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just confused on what to do i also talked with icon and they say you only cut them off if using stock arms anyways i will be using the cognito arms with icon extended travel shocks what your saying make sense i do appreciate your advise and will cut them off thank you.

• Like 1

On the highway how does it feel? And also are you just running your truck leveled by the suspension or including a lift of some sort?

• 4 weeks later...

How are your front axles holding up?

I'm thinking of going this route with the full 3" adjustment, adding 2" rear blocks and 33"x12.50" Toyo M/Ts on stock 20"s with 1.5" spacers.

OK, so I took the leap too. Got them installed a week or so ago. I did the work myself. Went with RC UCAs first and found out they were crap and wouldn't allow full camber/caster adjustment, so I returned them. I ended up with Cognitos at the recommendation of the sales guy at King. King is down the road a bit from my work. I put in all 4 shocks. The ride is phenomenal. Better than any of my past trucks equipped with Bilsteins. The more I drive it the better I like it. One of the best mods I've done to this truck. The Cognito UCAs clear my factory 18x8.5, 5.5" backspace rims and 305/60 tires. You guys definitely need to save all your lunch money for this mod.

DSC_2704Medium_zpsd557e99d.jpg

DSC_2718Medium_zps4445348f.jpg

I need to do a thorough check of the system this summer, just to ensure somethings not going unnoticed. But I don't have any obvious problems at 37,000 miles. I'm guessing 25000 with these shocks and UCAs .

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...