In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Pezman38

Timbrens or Air Bags

I hooked up my boat after installing the 2.5" RC leveling kit (2" rear block) and had enough sag to hate the stance of the vehicle. It pulled just fine with the 6.2 but would like to keep it looking good while pulling too.

I had firestone ride rite bags in my 04 avalanche before this truck and had 0 sag after I installed them

Do you recommend air bags or timbrens to eliminate the sag?

I am in the same boat, no pun intended, right now. Will be interesting to see the answers.

I default to airbags. Mainly because you have adjustability. But, I've heard good things about TImbren's too.

I guess nobody has these yet.

I emailed Timbren and there chunks of rubber have a gap between them and the axle when unloaded to allow normal travel. When under load your truck will have to sag some in order to engage the rubber stopper. Once engaged it eliminates more sag and allows for some travel to smooth out the ride.

Since my truck is leveled I don't have .5-1" of travel to give before it looks bad to me. So I am thinking air bags might be the better solution, even though they are more expensive.

• Like 1

I was in the same as you guys.. installed my RC 2.5 leveling kit and went to hook up the travel trailer and holy sag! ordered a set of Firestone air bags and sag be gone. I love the adjustable factor too. Sorry cant help with the timberns though.

I was in the same as you guys.. installed my RC 2.5 leveling kit and went to hook up the travel trailer and holy sag! ordered a set of Firestone air bags and sag be gone. I love the adjustable factor too. Sorry cant help with the timberns though.

Good to hear the bags work with the lift. Thanks for the insight.

After having the adjustability of airbags, it's hard to imagine going without.

Being a truck driver at one time in my life. If I had the choice I'd put airbags on my truck. They are easily adjustable and will ride smoother than leaf springs or rubber pads. That's the reason you see tractor trailers with Air Ride Equipped on them because they hold the weight and ride smoother for your cargo.

I put air bags in mine before I even hooked up to my new fifth wheel. Has taken a few trips to figure out how many psi to run in them, but got it figured now. Level pulling and level empty.

Love my air bags on my 14 I can raise the rear an easy full 3". I tow a TT and put a quad in the bed,also have rc 2" level in front

Can you post the system you have installed?

I ordered some Air Lift brand helper bags due to the rebate and Summitt Racings reviews on them. I got a 2" spacer as well to make sure the lift doesn't make them not work.

Here is the sag I am seeing now.

TruckandBoat_zps12bfd269.jpg

Edited by Pezman38

Air bags are in and they are great, unloaded raised the rear 2 inches for the rake I like. With boat on the sag is .5 and rides better but only done short trips so far.

Big fan of the Air Lift brand bags. Removed from my 11' and just installed on new 14' (same part #).

Really annoying having your lights coon hunting in the trees any time you haul or tow something of significant weight.

I didn't connect the two bags to a common air valve. I like being able to control each side individually. I just keep a small cig plug in compressor in the truck for tire and airbag situations.

Very easy to install, and required no trimming of the new style wheel well liners.

Big fan of the Air Lift brand bags. Removed from my 11' and just installed on new 14' (same part #).

Really annoying having your lights coon hunting in the trees any time you haul or tow something of significant weight.

I didn't connect the two bags to a common air valve. I like being able to control each side individually. I just keep a small cig plug in compressor in the truck for tire and airbag situations.

Very easy to install, and required no trimming of the new style wheel well liners.

I bought a 1/4 air line Tee at a Freightliner truck service center for $6.

I zip tied the T above the diff and connected both bags to that. I haul a boat 99% of the time so I can keep both bags the same level.

I agree that the install was pretty simple. I read the directions to install and then started where I wanted and as I ran into issues checked the directions for routing lines etc. Directions always seem to make things harder than necessary. FYI to get the jounce bumper off it is a 10mm socket and you will need an extension.

I bought a 1/4 air line Tee at a Freightliner truck service center for $6.

I zip tied the T above the diff and connected both bags to that. I haul a boat 99% of the time so I can keep both bags the same level.

I agree that the install was pretty simple. I read the directions to install and then started where I wanted and as I ran into issues checked the directions for routing lines etc. Directions always seem to make things harder than necessary. FYI to get the jounce bumper off it is a 10mm socket and you will need an extension.

You must have installed the Loadlifter 5000 bags (part# 57204).

I just went with the Ride Control bags (part# 59565). These bags do not install the same way as the Loadlifters. Looks like Loadlifters mount inside of frame rails while Ride Controls mount outside of rails (did not require removal of jounce bumper).

Not sure of differences in each system. Probably weight rating. I've yet to come across a towing or hauling situation the Ride Controls would not handle easily.

All the different manufactures are probably producing a decent bag system. After using them for 4+ years, I can't imagine ever having a truck without an air bag set-up.