Cruise control issues, 2 bad brake switches? 2011 Silverado

My cruise control started working intermittently last summer and tapping on the brake pedal would always fix the problem and get the cruise on again. It began happening more and more over the past year so I finally brought it into the dealer knowing the brake switch was most likely the issue. They replaced the switch and said that it did not solve the problem, so they put the old switch back in. I didnt believe them so I bought my own ACDelco switch from a local auto parts store and installed. Things worked great but every once in a while after startup the cruise wont work (about 1 out of 5 times). I've been testing it every time I get above 25mph.

Is it possible that I have come across 2 new switches that are defective?! Again, tapping the braking pedal a few times will get the cruise to turn on if it is'nt already working.

Looking for your 2 cents...

Thanks

I would say that you did not coincidentally come across two separate bad Delco switches. Even if they were the Dormans, I would say yes to one but not to two. No idea what to say your issue is either... Good luck!

My 2009 Silverado just this past month had an issue with intermittent cruise problems and the service stabilitrack/traction control messages. I couldn't find the fix except restarting the truck. This past weekend, I noticed that the brake lights wouldn't turn off, even the third brake light, until I took out the key.

I took a look under the dash trying to test the switch outputs before buying a new one and I found a broken wire coming off the switch that was barely hanging on by one strand of copper. I cut it and spliced in a small piece of wire and the problem was solved. The lights and cruise control work and no service stabilitrack/traction control messages yet.

Hope this helps.

I did run into two bad switches when mine went out, but they weren't the acdelco ones. They were the store brand from oreilly's auto, i want to say BMD?, but after two swithces from that brand i got the acdelco and it worked. So i suppose you could have run into two bad switches, I did.

I've been having the same issue with cruise, and tapping the brakes always fixes it. Thanks for posting this, going to look for a brake light switch now. Anyone have part numbers for AC delco? Is that the best brand?

I've been having the same issue with cruise, and tapping the brakes always fixes it. Thanks for posting this, going to look for a brake light switch now. Anyone have part numbers for AC delco? Is that the best brand?

I would say it is after running into issues with no name ones, not sure of the part number as it has been a while, but I just went to the dealer parts department and picked one up. Most auto parts stores had to order in the AC delco and it actually ended up being cheaper than the no name one from the auto parts store anyway.

Are they pretty easy to put on?

i got pretty good since i did it three times, lol. But yes they are easy 10-15 mins tops and thats only because you have to wedge your self under the dash. I'm pretty sure the last one i did was less than ten mins as i did it in the dealership parking lot to make sure it worked before i drove away, lol.

I've done some research and looks like theres 3 different part numbers it could be.

25981009 - Revised with weaker spring by GM

15861245 - Stock number (Original Part Number)

15045983 - Totally different looking switch.

Without crawling under my dash and checking, which one of these is the part we're talking about?

I've done some research and looks like theres 3 different part numbers it could be.

25981009 - Revised with weaker spring by GM

15861245 - Stock number (Original Part Number)

15045983 - Totally different looking switch.

Without crawling under my dash and checking, which one of these is the part we're talking about?

25981009 is stock on my 2011.

Archived