So what spark plugs do you use on a 5.3l and why?

Spitfires are worthless. Stay OEM.

Iridiums have a longer life, 100k miles, than platinums. If your rig is older and lots of miles, platinum or double plats might be the way to go money wise. Many people run copper plugs and report no problems, they just don't last 100k

Edited by txab
  • Like 4

Always OEM. GM and other manufacturers spend millions of dollars developing and testing to get the correct spark plugs for each individual engine application. How much do you think other spark plug manufacturers spend on developing and testing each individual engine application. Or do you think they just try and duplicate the OEM plugs? One thing comes to mind. When I started to work at GM in the early 60s I started on the motor line. One of the first thing they stressed was to torque the plugs to the correct specs.. If the torque was not correct it could change the heat range as much as 2° in either direction.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

An additional question I have on this is what would cause the factory plugs to burn to .090? I just replaced the factory AC Delco/NGK Platnium PZTR5A 15 with NGK Irridium TR5IX 7397 on my 2003 6.0L GMC 1500 HD at 112,000 miles. I researched and found the factory plugs are gapped at .060. The irridium are gapped at .040. The old plugs were burned to an average gap of .090. The threads on all old plugs had a gold tone on them. The truck didn't run too bad, rough idle every now and then, but fuel mileage sucked. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the old plugs being burned that much? Thanks.