In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2008 Avalanche intermittent no start condition

Well, I got one for all you guys, this is really has me stumped.

My truck: 08 Avalanche 4x4, 5.3, 82K miles

I have a situation where the engine will not start sometimes. I turn the key, power comes on to the accessories, but the starter won't engage.

I have a new good battery, so that's not it. The funny thing is, it won't start when you try to jump start it either. I put the jumper cable on the battery positive and the ground clamp on to a stud on the engine block. There is no battery draw-down from the doner battery vehicle, and no 12v snap when you hook up the cables that you typically see when you jump start someone.Turn the key - nothing, just accessories (radio, guages, fan etc) come on. No click from the starter solenoid. I took the battery out, had it tested (was good) put it back in and it started right up.

This past Tuesday, when I tried to start to go home, wouldn't crank. We tried to jump start it without success, so had it transported to my dealer. As soon as they off loaded it, it started right up, just like normal. It has been at my dealer for 2 days and they cannot reproduce the problem. They have driven it around, tested cables for shorts, but have found nothing. The regional tech has been contacted, but still no solution.

I have noticed one thing that may be related - If the truck gets wet from rain, then the door chime sounds tinny and the radio speakers have a distortion until things dry out, so there has to be some corrosion on some circuit somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can give!

cant fix anything when its working ,,,,,what codes did they find ?

this is a waste of time and all speculation and misinformation helps no one ...im sorry ,,,truck is started by a computer anyways soooo ,,you're done doin it yourself

not sure what ya want to hear sir

i love Avis and those rims !!!!!

i'll buy it off ya but for cheap cuz its broken ,,,,,lol

what i should say is that the condition you described is nothing you can do about until it happens again ,,,it requires indepth electrical diagnoses and experience ,,,,

i hope i did not offend ,,,

Edited by govtech4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Chevy Don
      I got a 2017 Silverado 2lt with remote start and recently a peer of mine got his truck stolen. I want to add something to my truck to prevent that but I can’t really afford the viper alarm system at the moment so i want to install a kill switch in the ignition. If someone could share the wiring diagram that would be awesome because I can’t seem to find it and I was curious if there was a way to install the kill switch without losing my remote start.
    • By Mike Gesme
      I have a 2010 Silverado 1500. The instrument cluster is completely non-functional except for the check engine light.

The gauges do not work, nothing displays on the LCD, and no other lights illuminate. The check engine light will come on when the key is turned on, but as soon as the engine starts it too disappears.

Everything else seems to work - radio, A/C, etc. I checked the fuses that I figured could be related. disconnected and reconnected the battery. I banged on the dash in case of a loose connection, and even tried swapping out the cluster panel with another panel, and got the exact same behavior. 

Would anyone be willing to share any advice or guesses? Should I change the ignition switch? Look for a bad ground (not sure where to start with that).

• By coyotech
      My new old '88 truck needs a new brake light switch. It's got a release switch thing for cruise control in front of it (but no cruise control on the column), and I'm wondering if anyone with a similar set up can give me some basic tips on how to get to that brake light switch, in order to take it out. Can you wiggle your fingers around in there and get it loose, or will I have to take something off to get to it? The cruise control switch is on the brass bracket from the steering column. Even if I take the cruise control switch out, it's hard to get to the brake light switch. But I'm new at this, so maybe I'm whining too early or missing something.
    • By The_Griff
      Hello everyone and new member here. The following question and situation is related to a 2017 LTZ Silverado 4x4 with just after 40,000 miles on it. Wondering if  the following codes go hand in hand with one another or no? The codes are as followed: B127E, C0800, B1325. All occurred within a month of one another with C0800 and B1325 occurring recently (five days) and together. 
      I am asking as I just picked up my truck from the dealership from being worked on and wondering if something else may occur soon. Has anyone else had this or any of these codes occur and what did you do to correct/fix the issue. Thank you for reading this and replying if you choose too.
    • By 56kz2slow
      So, get up one day after a snow storm to move my truck, battery dead on my 2015 Sierra Base.  Original battery, didn't think much of it, boosted it, went and bought a new battery.
      Next day, new battery is dead again.

Brought it to my local mechanic to troubleshoot the draw.  He was noticing a 0.5V drop in 9 hours one day, then dead the following day.  Charged again, looked at it at night, the heater controls were lit up, another time the instrument cluster warning lights all lit up. He also saw the dome light turn on by themselves.  Prior to that, I had other intermittent issues:
      - unlock the door with the key, pushed the unlock button on the door, it would not unlock the others, start the engine, then I can unlock with the door button 
      - parking brake light on the dash doesn't come on parking brake applied
      - would crank for 10 to 15 seconds on cold mornings before starting

Spoke to another mechanic I know, he said the fuse box was the issue, he replaced 4 in the last couple of years.  I got it replaced by my mechanic and brought the truck home. 

I opened up the old box to see what was going on inside, it was a real mess, all corroded to ******, so pretty confident that was the issue. It's so prevalent that the local dealer keeps them in stock.