remote start add on

Hi. I need some help installing the factory remote start on my 2014 silverado 1500. I know the dealer needs to program the fobs. The part I need help with is figuring out where the wire from the hood latch goes. I bought the gm 22997089 kit that came with the new hood latch with the pigtails coming out of it and the wiring harness to plug into the hood latch pigtail. The kit also came with 2 fobs with auth code.

The wiring harness has 2 wires, black and green. I am assuming the black is a ground and has a lug attached. The green wire I am assuming is for the hood ajar signal.

Does anyone know where to attach the green wire???

Diagram for LD PU Harness Only

3419074.giftif.gif

This diagram outlines scope of the Jumper harness for Remote Vehicle Start accessory:

Front of vehicle (1)

Plenum (2)

Plenum Grommet (3)

Harness Ground (4)

Hood Latch (5)

Procedure Remove Front Compartment Front Sight Shield
  1. Remove the front compartment front sight shield push-in retainers (1).
  2. Remove the front compartment front sight shield (2).
Updating the Hood Latch – Required for all non-UTJ Pickups

Harness is For Light Duty Trucks Only

3419291.giftif.gif

Route 3-way connector jumper harness branch (2) along front of vehicle, in preparation for routing under Grille Mount Panel Bolt (1) and Bracket (3). Be sure to route in front of air baffle (4). As a general guideline (after driver side of the hood latch) route alongside the Hood Release Cable up to the Driver Side Hood Bumper located on the Tie Bar.

For Light Duty and Heavy Duty Trucks

1. Remove and replace hood primary and secondary latch. Refer to Hood Primary and Secondary Latch Replacement.
  2. Make connection from the Hood Latch Pigtail (2) to 3-way forward lamp harness connector (1) (or Jumper Connector for Light Duty Trucks.)
  3. Ensure that the connection is securely fastened in the positioning locator for the connector. Refer to B55 Hood Ajar Switch.
  4. This Step is For Light Duty Trucks ONLY:

Remove the 6.35mm hole clip with strap, which is taped to the harness (blue tape) and fasten harness (4) to the air Baffle (3) 6.35mm hole approx 4” (10cm) away from connector. Tighten strap clip and cut to length.

5. Remove and replace grille mount panel bolt (1).

Tighten

Tighten bolt to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).

Note: Ensure the bolt does not pinch the jumper harness conduit when fastening.

Installation of the Hood Latch Status Signal Jumper Harness (For Light Duty Pickup ONLY)

Routing the 3-way Connector Branch of the Harness (Light Duty Pickup ONLY)

3420307.giftif.gif

Note: Use a tie strap, part number 11509086 (10 total in kit) to secure the harness to the hood latch release cable, after the hood latch, and before the hood bumper. Cut all tie straps to length.

Fasten the jumper harness to the Hood Latch Release Cable in one location along air baffle, using tie straps (1) P/N 11509086 from the kit. (midway between the two hood cable clips (2). Secure harness along hood release cable using two additional tie straps (3) P/N 11509086. Approx distance between tie straps should be 20cm. Cut all tie straps to length.

Routing the Ground Branch of the Harness (Light Duty Pickup ONLY)

1. Route the ground ring branch of the harness along the washer bottle tube and fasten using a tie strap P/N 11509086, to the forward lamp harness head lamp connector branch. Continue to route in front of the bottle and in front of the fog lamp bracket. Accessing from underneath the vehicle, continue to route behind the front fender and fasten to the upper end of the downward branch (2) of the forward lamp harness (1) using tie strap (3) P/N 11509086.
  2. Continue along down to the ground stud G101 (1). Remove the ground stud and fasten using BOLT/SCREW-FORWARD LAMP WIRING HARNESS GROUND, tighten to 9 N.m for ground ring, noting there may also be an existing ground from the forward lamp harness. Cut all tie straps to length.
Underhood Routing of the Hood Latch Status Signal Wire (Light Duty Pickup ONLY)

1. Following hood latch cable, route the signal length of the harness (1), inserting the harness into the C-clips (2), in two locations.
  2. Using tie strap (3), P/N 11509086, fasten in two locations between C-clips, maintaining approximately 20cm between fastening points. Cut tie straps to length.
  3. Fasten to the third hood latch cable C-clip and branch away and toward the body harness before the grommet (3). Fasten the jumper harness (1) to the body harness using two tie straps (2) P/N 11509086 evenly spaced approximately 20 cm alternating with clips. Cut to length.
  4. Route the signal wire conduit to the body harness grommet, ensuring to create a 3” diameter drip loop (4) before positioning the taped conduit end at the grommet for entry to the interior of the vehicle.
  5. using a utility knife, cut an 1/8” slit in the grommet (3) to prepare the entry for the bare signal wire.
Routing Wire through Grommet to the Body Control Module (Light Duty Pickup ONLY)

1. From inside the vehicle, remove the fasteners and position aside the instrument panel wiring harness junction block.

Note: Junction block connector removal is not required.

2. Using a utility knife, cut an 1/8” slit in the thin hole of the grommet opposite of the exterior side. From inside the vehicle, insert the ¼” brake tube (2) through the back piece of the grommet (3).

Note: Grommet removal should not be required.

3. From inside the vehicle, carefully push the tubing through to the front of the grommet, exiting at the exterior end of grommet.
  4. From the under side of hood, insert and feed the signal wire (1) and terminal through the tubing (2) to the inside of the vehicle.

Be sure to maintain the conduit drip loop just before the grommet entry. Verify that the grommet end does not collapse.

5. Remove the steel tubing (2) and clean both the entry and exit surfaces of the grommet using cleaner P/N 9M905449 (US), 00992727 (Canada), or equivalent.
  6. Apply silicone to the grommet at both wire entry and exit, using silicone P/N 12378479 (US), 88861419 (Canada) , or equivalent. Leave to dry while completing the remainder of this procedure.
  7. Using J-38125-22 tool, remove any wiring in K9 BCM X4 26-way connector pin 24 (BN/L-GN) and tape back onto the body harness, if applicable. Insert the GN (green) jumper harness signal wire connector into pin 24 on the K9 BCM X4 26-way connector. Refer to K9 Body Control Module X4. Reinstall all connectors.
  8. Reinstall the instrument panel wiring harness junction block to the floor studs and install the fasteners.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey guys I'm on the fence about either this OEM kit or a nice viper. How's that extended range working out and is it adequate. Not in a real big hurry to do it.

The Viper are good they are long range they can go up to 1 mile. The factory can received up to 300 feet or little less or little more depend of things in the way or a big hill.

My dad has this Viper work great but you would need to get a harness for your model. if you got a Onstar system. Then you would need a harness for that as well. If you want to add more it got 4 more add on function you can look up add on remote for windows,hood,light, any function that you want to connect to.

Can any if you guys could provide some help and some information?

I've bought a new 2016 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab truck 3 weeks ago and it does got the remote keyless and the tailgate lock too. As reading my manual I saw the remote start and my remote doesn't have one. So i went to bought a pair of a remote and I happens to stumble to this tread. It should have been a two chrome remote but I ended up with this packages that came with two black remote with a electronic hood latch that is able to use for your remote lock in key.

68r1qf.jpg

2elcih1.jpg

Can I installed this electronic hood latch on my 2500HD? The latch look the same. But would I need a wire or harness to install this to my system on my truck? Does it already have one installed? I just need to plug it in?

Does anyone know the parts number for the wire harness?

Much help would be gladly appreciate Thanks :)

I should have gone to this place to buy a remote. http://www.northcoastkeyless.com/2016-gmc-sierra-keyless-entry-remote-fob-programming-instructions/

Hey guys I'm on the fence about either this OEM kit or a nice viper. How's that extended range working out and is it adequate. Not in a real big hurry to do it.

IMO go OEM and make dealership install it. I am not saying one is better or anything but remote start is one of those things that is notorious for not working right or getting blamed for other issues. I think it is worth it to have a dealer do it just for liability, you do not want that and worth the install charge if you ask me.

The range is great on these. Surprisingly great IMO, you can also hold the key under your chin and open your mouth for extra range. I have got a good block if not more out of my FOB.

Edited by Alpine Truck Life

I had my dealership add the remote start before I signed for the truck since you can't get remote start from the factory on a WT for some reason...

But what does the hood latch have to do with the remote start?
I know all of these new technologies and features get kind of redundant, but the hood latch?

Edited by KaptKyle

I had my dealership add the remote start before I signed for the truck since you can't get remote start from the factory on a WT for some reason...

I know all of these new technologies and features get kind of redundant, but the hood latch?

That strange. The dealership did offer me before I bought the truck and then I changed my mind that I wanted one, so I order a remote that have a start button and this came with this package with a remote latch. But then they told me 60 bucks from the dealership to program the remote. But if I wanted a latch remote put on. Then it was cost me another 100 bucks it just a harness for the remote command in the dash does automatically connected. What the guy told me. It just a program that it have inside the remote command computer and it does the rest. But i am going to see whats up tomorrow. And find out if i can get the remote start on this truck. I hope I could. Would be retarded that you can't. My GM center https://my.gmc.com/homeask if i wanted to buy a remote start for it too and have the dealer ship put it on for a 250 bucks.

This truck is just a regular sierra 2500 HD with the trailer package and convenience packages w/ 17 inch rims and remote keyless lock and key with a tail gate lock and key and does have a back cam. Does that mean I got a WT?

The hood latch is so the system knows the hood is shut. You can't remote start the truck with the hood open.

Ok guys I found out.. If you have a AQQ remote system it will just work as keyless system. You would need a AM1 - AP8 or AQP8 in your RPO. Another word you would need a LT/LTZ SLE or SLT ECU remote module system. I heard one guy said you would have to plug in the fuse and add few wires to the remote command module it order for it to work. I don't know what part number that would be. But I just wasted 190$ plus 60 bucks for programing my remote I thought they knew what they were doing. Pretty much disappointed.

I hope I can return the remote with the latch packages back to this guy on ebay

If you have a regular Sierra or a Chevy 2500HD or 1500 it has no start remote. Now if you had it order from the manufacturer with the remote packages it will add that. You can add it on the truck but you would need to contact the manufacturer from GM they could provide the little computer for the Keyless remote entry with start.

Don't be fooled by the www.gm. owner center they will just give you a FOB remote with no RCU.

So you are better off going to Best Buy or some car Audio place to add in a Viper with a remote. They have the diagram to add a remote start and better car/tuck alarm system.

The hood latch is so the system knows the hood is shut. You can't remote start the truck with the hood open.

Yes that is correct. But Also the wire does tell the remote system to fail when the hood was pop open from being started. So you won't be robed. I thought it was a pulley that let you remotely pop open they got that motor for that latch it on ebay it the same way for that unlock tailgate. Pretty much it.

Thanks guys. I took my truck back up there at the dealership to have my alignment fix this is my 2nd time hopefully they fix it only got 481 miles on it. it pulls to the left real bad

Edited by TexasMidnight