Torque converter stall?

I'm at a loss for what stall of converter to go with in my truck. I'll be dropping in an lq9 6.0l I got from an 06 escalade soon and feel like I should replace the torque converter and up the stall a bit. Monster trans sais the stock stall speed in my truck is 1650 rpm. any help would be great. trans is a built ss monster 4l65e, 4:10 gears, turning 35s. Not trying to win races, just need it to pull my camper nicely, work well off road, not a daily driven truck, but does still see a fair bit of highway driving. Any ideas?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With towing, high stall is bad.

X2

X3 on this.

One thing you may consider doing is replacing the stock flex plate with a race grade SF29 unit, if you are towing, you will NEVER have to worry about flex plate cracks.

The race plates come with longer bolts to compensate for the increased thickness of the plate.

Thanks guys, lots of good info here. I'm going low stall for sure for towing. If I do decide to cam it it won't be for a while. I go pick up the engine saturday, I'll be sure to take a bunch of pics and start up a build thread.

If you stall at all go with aftermarket trans cooler. A lot of guys like the TruCool 40k. I like the setup I put on. It costs more, but my trans has been alive a lot longer than it should have

If you stall at all go with aftermarket trans cooler. A lot of guys like the TruCool 40k. I like the setup I put on. It costs more, but my trans has been alive a lot longer than it should have

Regular z71 external cooler not up to the job?

The SS guys have the same cooler as the z71. Most of them guys get rid of that tiny cooler. My first cooler was larger than the KNP code cooler, and I still went larger.

A comparison

9a4umyra.jpg

Installed on a Silverado SS

7anu3agy.jpg

A stall converter causes the trans to run hotter. Keep in mind that tiny cooler was designed to work on a "stock" application

Archived