Torque converter stall?

A comparison9a4umyra.jpg

Installed on a Silverado SS7anu3agy.jpg

A stall converter causes the trans to run hotter. Keep in mind that tiny cooler was designed to work on a "stock" application

Good call on that. Being a mechanic I'm a big fan of doing things right the first time. This build is going to be done once and right. 2000ish stall converter, upgraded flex plate and trans cooler for sure.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will need to pick up some bolts, washers, nuts, and some aluminum flat bar from Home Depot and some I think 3/8" hose

You will need to pick up some bolts, washers, nuts, and some aluminum flat bar from Home Depot and some I think 3/8" hose

Not an issue, got all that stuff in the shop at work. I plan on taking the front clip off the truck with fenders to make the swap a little easier. It's hard enough to pour oil in the damn thing being a short guy with a lifted truck. When I put the front end back together I'll build a bracket and install the new cooler.

The clip does not need to be removed. Just stripped doen like mine is in the picture is sufficient. It gives you access to everything you need. You can even pull that bracket off it. I pulled mine and painted it

I haven't been able to pull the trigger.. Still torn between a 1800-2000 rpm stall or a 2300-2500 rpm. I want the 23-25 but want to make sure I don't burn it up towing. Stock is between 1650-1800 rpm.

http://www.monstertransmission.com/4L60E-1998-UP_c_3904.html

Someone reassure me.

23-25 is pretty low. So you should be fine with that. Just make sure you upgrade that cooler

Thanks man. Gonna upgrade the cooler for sure!

Go with 2800 - 3000 stall, it will not be too much for towing, the other to stalls you mention would be a waste of money from the stock door weight.

:smash: STAY AWAY FROM Monster trans.. :M16:

you will have nothing but issues with them. their "built trans, TC's" are nothing but cheep junk yard parts that have a coat of paint on them..if you want a TC, go with a reliable co.like Circle D, TCI etc..

Hmm. Well this changes everything, does that apply to they're rebuild kits too? Cause I was ordering that too.. What would be the ultimate rebuild kit and torque converter to go with?

Ps. Picked up the lq9 today. Pics and build thread coming soon.

Did your 5.3 die? The LQ9 is great when tuned right

Nope 5.3 still runs like a champ. Just wanted an lq9. I might throw the 5.3 in a rcsb and turbo it this winter.

Archived