Removal of Front Air Dam

First, what is the purpose of the air dam?

Second, how does removal affect air flow, engine heat, gas mileage, etc.?

The air dam is designed to divert air around and under the truck reducing drag and increasing MPG's. The design on these trucks is modeled after the aerodynamics engineered on the Corvette. The downside is that it's in the way if you go off-roading and other instances where you need clearance. Removing it only affects your fuel economy because of more wind resistance and will not harm the truck in any way.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Like 1

The air dam is designed to divert air around and under the truck reducing drag and increasing MPG's. The design on these trucks is modeled after the aerodynamics engineered on the Corvette. The downside is that it's in the way if you go off-roading and other instances where you need clearance. Removing it only affects your fuel economy because of more wind resistance and will not harm the truck in any way.

Thanks! (and it looks better off!)

Technically it's around and over, not under.

Either way, just mileage.

It's under too. Look at the angle of the center of the lower bumper. Also look at the air dam and how it changes shape as you move from the outside edge to the center. these angles and contours are designed to divert the air that does not go over the truck under the truck through the center away from the tires. Edited by Silverado-Hareek

I stand corrected it's designed to direct the air to the ground away from the underbody. Guess I misunderstood the explanation I got on this previously.

http://www.equipmentworld.com/dont-lower-your-tailgate-gm-details-aerodynamic-design-of-2014-silverado-and-sierra-2500-debunks-myths/

I stand corrected it's designed to direct the air to the ground away from the underbody. Guess I misunderstood the explanation I got on this previously.

http://www.equipmentworld.com/dont-lower-your-tailgate-gm-details-aerodynamic-design-of-2014-silverado-and-sierra-2500-debunks-myths/

Think about it like this. The underbody is all kinda chopped up with tons of stuff to present drag, or resistance to the flow of air. Any air that gets under there will try to slow down the truck. If you can divert this up or over, then the top and/or sides of the truck are waaaaay more slippery and will, therefore, reduce drag. This is why sports car designers want the body as low as possible and the underbelly to be as smooth as possible.

• Like 2

Think about it like this. The underbody is all kinda chopped up with tons of stuff to present drag, or resistance to the flow of air. Any air that gets under there will try to slow down the truck. If you can divert this up or over, then the top and/or sides of the truck are waaaaay more slippery and will, therefore, reduce drag. This is why sports car designers want the body as low as possible and the underbelly to be as smooth as possible.

Yeah that definitely makes sense the more I think about it after reading that article.

you're going the loose about .5 MPG... maybe more. Same as if you level the front end.. when I did that.. I lost about 1 mpg.

Main reason I lowered the rear instead, didn't want to give up mileage for the leveled look when I knew I would never run any tires larger than stock.

Been off my 2011 since the first weekend I had it. Only reason it took that long as on a Monday night I picked up the truck and Tuesday I left for a work trip that took the remainder of the week. Obviously I can't speak for a mileage loss as I had maybe 200 miles on it by then but whatever the trade off its worth it. Stupid thing hung down so low and these new ones are worse.

I took it off on my 2006. Bumper went with it. Put a 150 pound piece of steel on the front. Mileage stayed the same. :lol:

IMO the dam on the 2014's looks bad. It's a pickup for Pete's sake, an Outback has more clearance. I have seen a couple pickups bottomed out on the dam on curbs, which is ridiculous.

I agree... but all manufacturers have pressure to get the highest MPG... by both the customer and government. GM loves to advertise that their truck get's 1 mpg better than ford. Personally I could care less.. but I think many people do.

Unfortunately better aero (like air dams dragging the ground) and weight reduction is the easiest way to increase MPG.

• Like 1