Tailgate question - what screws used on access panel

All 8 screws are rusting on my tailgate access panel. The look like phillips (or TORX) pan head with a flange or washer as part of the screw head.

I'd like to get SS screws - anyone know the screw size and length (and it they are phillips or torx)?

Also, I'm guessing they simple screw into a threaded hole under the panel so it's safe to take them out and screw them back in w/o any problem.

Don't know exact size, but GM redesigned the screws. Instead of the screws you described they now use a standard phillips dome head screw. I had to replace mine because i had drop in liner which i removed to get Line-x. The bed liner screw stuck out about 1/4 inch from the access panel after removing the drop in. I ordered a replacement set for $30 from my local dealer which is a ripoff and you could easily find at your local Lowe's or HD. Just pull one out and use the screw size finder at the store. If i remember right the head is now an M10.

Edited by Silverado Steve

take one out and go to brafasco, i cent believe tailgate screws are rusting out already. i may go do the same this week and get stainless.

I had to change out all eight screws to longer ones when I added my drop-in bed liner. I went to Menards, the big-box home store, for stainless screws. The size is #8 sheet-metal. The tailgate actually has nice inserts for the screws to thread into. These insert-nuts are made to receive #8 sheet-metal screw.

gatescrews2.jpg

Good info and picture PickUPS. I stopped at Fastenel Fasteners and they had SS but not the proper thread so I swung by the dealer and they gave me 8 OEM screws. I guess what happened is when the dealer installed the drop in liner (as they did for all their trucks except the white work trucks) they took out the OEM screws. When Line-X took out the drop in liner they had no OEM screws so they use something else (which rusted). So now I have OEM screws - hope they don't rust too!

• 2 years later...

M4.2X1.14X16mm. 2014-2015 are 11609539, 2016-2018 are 11611882. Not sure why they changed the screws, but both are a Torx bit head. If anything, from looking at both part #s, they changed the diameter of the head of the screw.

The screws above are the ones for either no plastic bed liner, or spray on liner (factory or not). The ones for plastic liners are different (longer and a big washer). The OE liner ones are a Torx head, 11612239.

• 2 years later...

Do the screws that are smaller use any type of washer ? Thanks in advance had Line x but when i got truck back had these longer screws that was in the bed liner when i took screws out the washers stayed in screw The dealer gave me screws but no washers on them.

1 hour ago, jbman said:

Do the screws that are smaller use any type of washer ? Thanks in advance had Line x but when i got truck back had these longer screws that was in the bed liner when i took screws out the washers stayed in screw The dealer gave me screws but no washers on them.

No washers on the factory screws.