Advice on current fuel mileage

Hi guys, been enjoying the hell out of my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain but have been pretty disappointed with what I'm seeing for fuel economy numbers. I lurk on these boards quite often, and notice the numbers other folks are getting are always blowing mine out of the water so I'm wondering if I might have an issue. During the winter, I've been consistently getting 10.5 MPG (hand calculated and from the display confirmed)... I was pretty disappointed with that but I figured I'd at least give it until the summer to see if it's just winter fuel. Well in the summer, I haven't gotten over 12 mpg. Most tanks, I'm about 80-85% city driving, so I'm definitely not expecting to be on the high end of the MPG #'s, but this feels way too low for what the truck was rated at. I wanted to get your opinion if you guys think there might be a problem or what I can have a dealer check out (sorry I'm not very experienced with auto repair so I'm hoping to have some knowledge before I have the dealer telling me there's nothing wrong). Here are the details of what I'm driving:

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE All Terrain Dbl Cab

5.3L V8

4x4

3.42 rear diff

20" OEM wheels and tires

No lift or level

No tune

Air Dam still installed

Very minimal Idling

Minimal weight in the bed w/ tonneau

Threw a link to my fuelly page, I've been religious with tracking on that.

250927.png

I feel like this is the only thing so far keeping me from completely loving this truck so I'm hoping there's just an issue that can be resolved. The truck does feel sluggish at times, but not sure if this is a problem or just me being used to a more sensitive gas pedal than these trucks have. Any help or advice you guys might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

I get about 11.5-12.5 around town which seems to be lower than most. Granted I have a level, no air dam, and 33" tires. My commute is 4 miles each way to work and I barely hit any stretched where I get over 45 mph, so mine I can attribute to that. On the HWY I get about 18 @ 75mph, maybe a little less. Before I removed the air dam I got about 20 on the highway. I had my truck up in the air checking for runout on my tires and my traction control went off and ever since then my mpg seems to be lower. Not too sure though. Just wanted to give you some insight as to what I was seeing for numbers.

Go drive 25 miles on the highway with cruise set to 70 or less and tell us what you get. You may just have a case of lead foot.

^^^^^^^^^ I agree. I have a crew cab with the same set up as you only I have 2wd. I average between 19 to 20mpg around town. I just drove 12 hours to Virginia from Florida with the cruise set at 76 my wife and two daughters and a light load averaged between 21 to close to 23mpg ( higher mpg was on the slower sections) on the highway.

That's what your going to get driving in a city. I would say start trying to Coast as much as you can to lights ( give it gas then let it coast) but I don't see u getting better then 13mpg. I drive 60/40 and I'm just getting almost 18mpg. I just did a trip to SC 450 mi from my place wife and daughter and like 1000 pounds of their clothes no joking And got 18.4mpg @ 78mph 95% of the trip was hoping to get 20mpg. GL be happy you've a great truck

Maybe this is a rookie question, but how does the air dam effect fuel economy. My first new 2014 sierra was lifted with 35's and didn't have the air dam when I bought it. My second one is a stock All Terrain that I took the air damn off of, never thought about it effecting mileage.

Maybe this is a rookie question, but how does the air dam effect fuel economy. My first new 2014 sierra was lifted with 35's and didn't have the air dam when I bought it. My second one is a stock All Terrain that I took the air damn off of, never thought about it effecting mileage.

Aerodynamics. You want the air travelling around and over your vehicle in the smoothest, least restrictive manner. There's lots of turbulence when going underneath. Probably makes ~1 mpg difference once you get above 55 or so.

Aerodynamics. You want the air travelling around and over your vehicle in the smoothest, least restrictive manner. There's lots of turbulence when going underneath. Probably makes ~1 mpg difference once you get above 55 or so.

Thanks for the info.... I thought it may have been a little more extreme than that. Seemed like I was getting better mileage when I first got it back In may. Then i noticed it fall off a little, but never thought about it having anything to do with the air dam. May put it back on just for texting purposes

On a lifted truck like yours, it'll make less of a difference, but still probably some benefit. The other thing you have working against you (besides the air dam and lift) is your heavy tires. It takes more fuel to get those heavy things going. And make sure your speedo is adjusted correctly so that your mileage doesn't appear worse than it really is.

im getting 14L/100km (20MPG) mixed highway and city.

at 110km mine flicks into V4 and i get between 8 and 11L/100km = 25mpg

im in a 2014 SLE V8 5.3L Crew cab short box, havent used my 4x4 yet.

i only have 900km on it, its 1 week old today.

Archived