If your thinking about purchasing a 2014 Sierra/Silverado

This is a good article if you are on the fence about purchasing the "all new 2014 Sierra or Silverado". I think it accurately reflects the driving experience of this truck.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1308_2014_gmc_sierra_1500_slt_4wd_crew_cab_first_test/?__federated=1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All excellent reviews.

Funny that the same magazine... MotorTrend, states this about the 2014 Silverado: "It doesn't matter which English a Silverado owner speaks: It's a great truck in any language."

I must agree with the "great truck" assessment. (BTW, I drove new Fords and Dodges before I chose Chevy.)

But... just my opinion.

The only thing they didn't like was performance related, and whoever at GM let them test a 3.08 should be fired.

With 3.42's it would have done a lot better.

And to compare the 5.3 with Ecoboost and Hemi is just ridiculous. Bring on the 6.2 vs those two and there is no competition.

Poorly done article IMO.

Most of it is irrelevant. Anyone who wants power is foolish if they get 3.08 gears (assuming that's what they mean by tall gears, I only skimmed the article). As for it not being a leader in tech- in 5 years probably every Ram with air ride will be busted, one can only guess what will go wrong with an engine like the EcoBoost and a slow diesel is not on my shipping list. The new trucks aren't perfect but they're still better than the other two.

I agree that it is pretty accurate, unfortunately.

Even with the 3.42 that mine has, most of the article is accurate as far as shifting, acceleration, and delayed throttle response is concerned.

The only thing they didn't like was performance related, and whoever at GM let them test a 3.08 should be fired.

And to compare the 5.3 with Ecoboost and Hemi is just ridiculous. Bring on the 6.2 vs those two and there is no competition.

Poorly done article IMO.

+1

Poorly done article IMO.

I didn't say that the article focused on what was wrong with the truck. I just said I think it accurately reflects the driving experience of this truck 3.42 or 3.08.

They even state in the article quote "We suspect the high 3.08 final drive ratio might be hurting the truck's straight-line performance. A 3.42 or 3.73 final ratio is a no-cost option".

Edit: deleted double post.

I think anyone who's thinking of buying one should just come drive mine first (while I still have it)...they'd run as fast as they could to the nearest Ford dealer afterwards and never look back.

Unless the Ford they buy is a lemon like your GM.

Whatever suit put the stamp of approval on using 3.08 gears in a truck period should be have that pinion gear shoved up his ass and turned! Absolutely nothing good about having that stupid gear installed.

+1 ...... they only have the 3.08 just to stretch out the MPG enough to claim they are 1 mpg better than Ford. Anyone who actually get's the 3.08 is screwing up. We read it time and time again on this forum..

Archived