What did you do to your "other" car (aka musclecar) today

RyanbabZ71

Thinking I'll rebuild the original 400. Should I try to hunt down the top end and have to pay whatever they want( because if someone tracks you down wanting to buy the original equipment from a classic car, you charge whatever you want), or just buy a second set of CV-1 heads(the best Pontiac V8 heads, and just about $500 more than a set of Edelbrock heads) and call it a day?

I'm in no rush, probably wouldn't even have the block machined until next year. I don't think it has ever been machined, all the stampings are crystal clear.

Edited by SnakeEyes

Thinking I'll rebuild the original 400. Should I try to hunt down the top end and have to pay whatever they want( because if someone tracks you down wanting to buy the original equipment from a classic car, you charge whatever you want), or just buy a second set of CV-1 heads(the best Pontiac V8 heads, and just about $500 more than a set of Edelbrock heads) and call it a day?

I'm in no rush, probably wouldn't even have the block machined until next year. I don't think it has ever been machined, all the stampings are crystal clear.

If it were me, i would try and hunt down the top end and at least see what they wanted for it, then go with what option 2 is if they are wanting more than you are willing to spend.

Ahhh, two of the three quarts of the gear oil a page or two back I found was opened. Need another quart now.

Guess I'll pull out those old reciepts for the firebird and hope the second owner still has that phone number on them, and still has the phone number for who hebsold the heads to. If he sold them on eBay that could be over quick.

Check it out, look familiar? This is my car in its drag days

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/events/hppp_0903_2008_inaugural_pontiac_spring_nationals/photo_10.html

Most of the engine receipts are from 08. Then there is one from early 2013 with new head gaskets on it. Guessing he took off the blower and did a mild tear down before the guy sold in to the previous owner in late 13.

Edited by SnakeEyes
  • Like 1

Was going to have my AC and sub $1000 body issue handled by the same shop, I called them and they said not to run by anytime soon, they have two projects approaching deadlines and can't start on anything new for 2-4 weeks(they do classics exclusively). I remembered a shop by my work has a classic sitting out now and then. I called them and they put me directly in touch with the classic car guy there the second I asked if they can handle classic. The guy spoke my language.

He said that is a common problem with F-bodys and Impalas(true) and that he would only put new metal there if it actually need work or even replacing and not just a respray on that spot(perfect answer).

Winner winner chicken dinner. He wants to see the car as soon as I can bring it but can't start for two weeks. That works, It'll probably be at the AC shop for a week if they need to order new fittings from Vintage Air.

Edited by SnakeEyes

Congrats Ryan.

Dropped the bird off at the AC shop. Interestingly, the guy told me almost every classic they do is like mine, part of its already done they just finish the install.

They will start tonight or tomorrow, a mustang being restored is a few days late and the guy hasn't told them anything so I'm getting his spot in line. He said he figures at most 3 days(might have to refresh the compressor since the oil in it needs to be drained, then all the components internally cleaned, since it's been out of service for an unknown amount of time)

The driver side quarter has to wait a month, the other shop I went too told me to call on the 18th and see if they are ready for it). This shop did a car for an Edelbrock top guy (the orange and white 68 http://www.popularhotrodding.com/events/1405_edelbrock_car_show_top_10_picks_ninth_annual_revved_up_4_kids/ ) and builds 30s hot rods for charity auctions.

Edited by SnakeEyes

My Roto-Fab intake came in, waiting on my catch can and GTO clutch reservoir to come in. Then I'll put them all on the Camaro.

Sent from my MaxiPad

What catch can!

Ryan