Foglights On With High Beams

8 minutes ago, mikeay said:

Curious if this inhibits the auto high beam...or does it function as it should except all the lights are on now?

As for Fogs/HIGHs, the intellibeam system works fine on my truck.  I know that if the fogs are ON with lows (manually), the intellibeam system will not work.  Have not seen anything from anyone that's done the Fogs/Lows mod.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ravenkeeper said:

As for Fogs/HIGHs, the intellibeam system works fine on my truck.  I know that if the fogs are ON with lows (manually), the intellibeam system will not work.  Have not seen anything from anyone that's done the Fogs/Lows mod.

Thanks a lot for the info. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all this information everyone!

Just wanted to share my experience with this mod:

Step 1:  I did the diode thing to make FOG and High beams on at same time (which was super easy and works like a champ) Thanks again to the original poster!

Because I also installed High powered xhp 70 CREE lights into my high beam and low beam housings I was having the typical DRL issues (headlight would turn off when put into drive) this also occurred randomly after installing canbus thingy as well (my guess is that these mechanisms are not 100 percent reliable). so I decided to make a more reliable setup, one that wouldn't have a possibility of turning my headlights off randomly with no way of getting them back on while I am already driving.

Step 2:  I re-routed my fog wires to the low beam housing

Step 3: I re-routed my low beam wires to the fog light housing

so my DRL are now my fogs (just aimed them up a little bit from where they are set from the factory for increased visibility during the day)

to turn on my low beams I just hit the fog button on the dash (results in lows and fogs being on)

flip the high beam switch on - and all 3 lights are on regardless if the lows were on before the flip or not.

flip the high beams off -results in the lights reverting back to whatever was on before the high beams were switched on 1. lows plus fogs or 2. just fogs ( now my DRL)

Sorry if this has already all been said have to admit I didn't read all 50 pages. 

This was done on a Canadian 2015 Silverado LT

Edited by jdirt
add truck model

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hate to revive a thread that seems to have been covered thoroughly but I've got a problem. I feel like I've followed the previous posts exactly, diode correct way, right pins for the high beam fog as well as 3rd brake light with backup but neither work, attached is what I'm looking at, point out what's the problem? Thanks.

20190908_203423.jpg

18 hours ago, Florida_Dawg14 said:

Hate to revive a thread that seems to have been covered thoroughly but I've got a problem. I feel like I've followed the previous posts exactly, diode correct way, right pins for the high beam fog as well as 3rd brake light with backup but neither work, attached is what I'm looking at, point out what's the problem? Thanks.

20190908_203423.jpg

Your reverse/cargo jumper is correct for cargo lights on while in reverse.  Maybe push your leads in a little further?  What diodes did you use, 1N4004?

HOWEVER, your fogs on with HIGHs appears to be completely incorrect.  Your striped end it in BRN24, mine is in BRN18 (next row up), and I can't tell where the other end is pinned, but mine is in BRN10. 

The attached picture if from my '15 LTZ.  My '18 is similar, other than the third diode in the GREY block, because my '18 comes setup to have the puddle lights on when any of the doors are open.

3 BCM Mods.jpg

6 hours ago, Ravenkeeper said:

Your reverse/cargo jumper is correct for cargo lights on while in reverse.  Maybe push your leads in a little further?  What diodes did you use, 1N4004?

HOWEVER, your fogs on with HIGHs appears to be completely incorrect.  Your striped end it in BRN24, mine is in BRN18 (next row up), and I can't tell where the other end is pinned, but mine is in BRN10. 

The attached picture if from my '15 LTZ.  My '18 is similar, other than the third diode in the GREY block, because my '18 comes setup to have the puddle lights on when any of the doors are open.

3 BCM Mods.jpg

Yes I'm using the 1N4004. I corrected the fogs/highs but no dice replaced the diode too. Got the cargo/reverse working for just a min buttt then they went out again. I feel like the wire isn't getting a good connection in the pin, pushed as far as they'd go just doesn't feel "secure." Going to try them again tomorrow. Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Florida_Dawg14 said:

Yes I'm using the 1N4004. I corrected the fogs/highs but no dice replaced the diode too. Got the cargo/reverse working for just a min buttt then they went out again. I feel like the wire isn't getting a good connection in the pin, pushed as far as they'd go just doesn't feel "secure." Going to try them again tomorrow. Thanks again.

I took my smallest phillips jewelers screwdriver and pushed it in to make way for the diode leads, so that it was "easier" to push them in the needed length for good contact.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

I believe Gen5DIY has a harness for fog on anytime the lights are on.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, Megawolf said:

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/14-18-silverado-gen3-products/products/14-18-silverado-foglights-always-on-harness

They make some good stuff. I have their foglight override harness on my Sierra, works well.

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 9:09 PM, Megawolf said:

but.. that's a $100 harness and we're all talking about $0.95 diodes... so there's that..

..on a side note, why not just run a diode from the HIGH BEAMS to the LOW BEAMS so that when you turned the high beams on (and the BCM shuts off the low beams in the process) the BCM is overridden and keeps the LOWs on while the HIGHs are on.. (?)

2 hours ago, rbrjr1 said:

but.. that's a $100 harness and we're all talking about $0.95 diodes... so there's that..

..on a side note, why not just run a diode from the HIGH BEAMS to the LOW BEAMS so that when you turned the high beams on (and the BCM shuts off the low beams in the process) the BCM is overridden and keeps the LOWs on while the HIGHs are on.. (?)

On my '15 Silverado, the lows stayed ON with the highs, before the diode mod.

Pre-MOD:

228145401_HI-LOPre-Mod.thumb.png.0e87149714b6231c7e8b1cb33f44f309.png

Post-MOD:

346314891_HI-LOPost-Mod.thumb.png.6267ab7d6162d1b1b9ca415c4e8fb9b7.png

• Like 1