I Towed My Harley This Week

Towed my Harley Street Bob from Atlanta, GA to near Destin, FL last week and have to say, I'm not impressed. My Harley and the trailer combined couldn't be more than 1,500 lbs. In my 2011 Silverado Z71 with pretty much the same engine, transmission, axle ratio setup as mine (yes, I know the 2014 has a new engine), I towed a 1967 Lincoln Continental on a rented Uhaul trailer - A LOT MORE WEIGHT - and pulling my Harley/trailer felt the same. I had to make a pass around someone who kept altering their speed (annoying) and I swear it took FOREVER. I was expecting a little more oomph from this new truck vs. my 2011, and it feels LESS powerful. I've pulled this Harley/trailer combo numerous times with my 2011 and I can't help but remembering it was easier. Tow mode or not... bogged feeling compared to my 2011.

Not to mention, my transmission or transfer case is clunking a lot lately with or without a trailer. This was the first time I towed. I'm headed to the dealer but if you let off the gas and go back on, CLUNK about 50% of the time. I know there's a TSB about this with no resolution but my 2011 did the same thing, only FAR less often, and I would hope GM would have refined this by now. It's becoming very concerning. Oh, and in trailer mode, when it uses engine breaking, the downshift seems to have some sort of delay and a light clunk when it switches gears. All I know is I can't be with another lemon car... my last TWO cars were pieces of garbage (a Ford Fiesta and a Mercedes CLA 250)... just my luck.

I don't have any 0-60 comparisons or anything - just going off the butt dyno so to speak, but... man it felt bogged. :(

maybe there is something wrong with your truck, I towed my dads '70 Camaro on a 18' steel deck car trailer for a total weight of about 4-5k pounds and I had plenty of power. towed the same trailer / car combo with my '12 sierra 5.3 w/ 3.42's and there was a world of difference in acceleration. my gmt900 "struggled" so to speak compared to my '14.

I towed my HD from cleveland ohio to gatlingburg tnn a few months ago other then staring at my bike in the mirror I couldn't tell it was there.

uva5usa9.jpg

I towed my HD from cleveland ohio to gatlingburg tnn a few months ago other then staring at my bike in the mirror I couldn't tell it was there.uva5usa9.jpg

Nice Road Glide! I own the same one you have.

It might not be a good idea to start a thread off with "I towed my Harley this week".

I was in Wyoming last year and saw a Silverado, while getting gas, towing a trailer with four bikes on it. I told the guy that's amazing! All four of them broke down at the same place? He left not smiling, but the truck seemed to pull them fine.

I see a Chevy truck towing various Fords on a flatbed a few times a week going back and forth to work. I've always wanted to talk to the driver. There's got to be some good one-liners in there!

I was in Wyoming last year and saw a Silverado, while getting gas, towing a trailer with four bikes on it. I told the guy that's amazing! All four of them broke down at the same place? He left not smiling, but the truck seemed to pull them fine.

The country of origin of these bikes got edited out. They weren't Harleys, but knockoffs from the Far East. Is that politically correct enough, or can I say the country that brought us Pearl Harbor.

Victories have inconsistent finishing work - the powdercoating, for example, seems to be of different textures/qualities as if it was finished in different places. I hope they've improved upon that. Harley's do not have this issue. Not sure about Indian - not into that look, personally.

Anywho, I tow my Harley long distances because (1) I need to carry other cargo like golf clubs, etc., and (2) my Harley Street Bob is a Stage III, cammed, and high compression (for a Harley) build with a modified suspension - I couldn't afford the super adjustable parts at the time and it is stiffened a lot. Handles great (for a Harley) but no longer really something I feel like riding 300 miles anymore now that I have a truck to yank it with. Plus I have a low profile seat on it because big seats look stupid. Haha. Call me lazy... but I don't need vertebrae damage.

I toured, in stock form, on this Harley in Europe for almost 20K miles. She got her build done in my condo at about 22K. It's at 32K now and essentially I've plateaued... not really into riding anymore, especially around Atlanta - the drivers here are grossly under-educated murderers.

...but she was never a garage queen. Doesn't look like one either. Haven't washed it since the season began, haha! I like it dirty.

Victories have inconsistent finishing work - the powdercoating, for example, seems to be of different textures/qualities as if it was finished in different places. I hope they've improved upon that. Harley's do not have this issue. Not sure about Indian - not into that look, personally.

Anywho, I tow my Harley long distances because (1) I need to carry other cargo like golf clubs, etc., and (2) my Harley Street Bob is a Stage III, cammed, and high compression (for a Harley) build with a modified suspension - I couldn't afford the super adjustable parts at the time and it is stiffened a lot. Handles great (for a Harley) but no longer really something I feel like riding 300 miles anymore now that I have a truck to yank it with. Plus I have a low profile seat on it because big seats look stupid. Haha. Call me lazy... but I don't need vertebrae damage.

I toured, in stock form, on this Harley in Europe for almost 20K miles. She got her build done in my condo at about 22K. It's at 32K now and essentially I've plateaued... not really into riding anymore, especially around Atlanta - the drivers here are grossly under-educated murderers.

...but she was never a garage queen. Doesn't look like one either. Haven't washed it since the season began, haha! I like it dirty.

I am considering hauling one of my Harleys to an Diego from Colorado this winter. It isn't feasabe to ride at that time of year across the Rockies. I'm debating whether to trailer or just lad the bike in the bed.

I understand that Victorys have had some transmission problems. I also understand that being a unit construction engine and tranny, they haven't evolved to where Harley was in 1954 when they put a trap door in the K model for tranny access. Victorys are pretty ugly to my eye but to each his own. they are American made.

I'm just a Harley and Chevy guy and that won't change. I just did a 3000 mile ride on my Streetglide from Colorado to British Columbia and back through Washington and Oregon. I only have 4000 miles on my Silverado that I bought last November.

Archived