Driving With Parking Brake

Mine did it before this one.

And mine still does afterwards. Next time I am in for the oil change, I will have them check but I don't think they will find anything wrong. I am down to checking the pedal before moving instead of trusting the idiot light.

I have a sloping drive way so I use mine every day. I don't think the parking brake fully engages now for how many times I drove with it on. How do I adjust the parking brake cable? I can push the pedal all the way down and doesn't feel like it's fully engage since I can feel the truck roll a tiny bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just tested my parking brake. When it is engaged I get a bright red "brake" light on my tach. I believe the DIC gives you a warming and beeps at you too. If yours is not doing this then something is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tested my parking brake. When it is engaged I get a bright red "brake" light on my tach. I believe the DIC gives you a warming and beeps at you too. If yours is not doing this then something is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IKR... the light comes on 100% of the time when I engage the braking park when I get home. It's the 2% of the time when I start the truck, there is no idiot light or warning bell when I back down my driveway.

my gf just laughs at me the times I told her I did this since it's never an issue my vw or jeep which are all manuals. LOL

• 2 years later...

I have exactly the same problem on my 2014 Silverado. It is intermittent. I took it to the dealer and they said they adjusted the brake. Then after it happened again, I took it in again and they said they adjusted the cable. On the third try the dealer said it was "working as designed"! How concerned should I be? I'm thinking that if it happens again and I notice it, I should not release the emergency brake and just drive it over to the dealer. Maybe take some pictures with my iPhone?

Any ideas, please!

Thanks

There should be a warning light and the truck should have notified you once you got moving if the parking brake was still engaged. I would have the rear disc checked out and make sure you didn't over heat them, the inner drum doesn't have a lot of surface area and it is possible you could have over heated the drum and the drum shoes. If you need cable adjustment now that means the drum shoes are worn down and will need to be replaced.

If that warning light didn't come on have the dealer check it out, GM should cover it under warranty.

Also please remember, this is a parking brake. It is not an emergency brake, they haven't been called that in well over 10 years as they really are not designed for emergency stopping. While if the scenario comes up I would use it along with down shifting the transmission to try and stop the truck, I just know it hasn't been called an emergency brake in many years.

Look, I have done and seen just about everything on vehicle/Truck! Your fine! I woke up one afternoon to this loud humming like the engine was at 5000 rpms and it was! My coworker was barreling down the hwy still in 4 High at 75mph for 20-30 miles. They can take some serious abuse!

• Like 1

Look, I have done and seen just about everything on vehicle/Truck! Your fine! I woke up one afternoon to this loud humming like the engine was at 5000 rpms and it was! My coworker was barreling down the hwy still in 4 High at 75mph for 20-30 miles. They can take some serious abuse!

Braking system is one area I wouldn't want to take a chance on. Pretty easy to take the rears apart and give them a quick visual to see how things are.

I live in an area where using the park brake is rare. If I did that I would simply test it, if it holds no problem. Heck back in my bracket racing days I use to power brake the hell out of what ever I was racing at the time with just a little extra wear on the back brakes.

I never use the parking brake but I don't like the idea of a push on push off type. I admit to driving vehicles home that the brakes failed by holding up on the release and using the parking brake to stop. You don't stop very quickly though.

• 1 month later...

I find that the parking brake on my new truck flat out sucks. I used it the other day when hooking up the boat, straight drove off and didn't feel like it was engaged at all. Lights came on and beeped at me, disengaged it. My '09 wouldn't move an inch with the parking brake engaged. This truck drives off without a care in the world. What gives?

Guess I'll have to start smashing that pedal way down. The truck did slightly roll once it was engaged, which every other vehicle I've owned, they stay put once the parking brake was engaged. I know it's just a cpl inches, but when hooking up to the trailer, kind of a pain...everything is all lined up perfect, put her in park, and engage the parking brake...then she rolls two inches.