Removing the Air Bag and Steering Wheel

So I just took the switch apart from the old wheel and sure enough LED's in there. If I get bored I will take the airbag off again and see if I can't see if the pin out between the 2 switches are the same, as well as the pins coming from the clock spring to the wiring harness in the steering wheel . I'm not sure if the upfitter manual for the 15' has the steering wheel plug. Maybe I will look there first.

It would probably be easier to just turn on the lights manually, but they might not come on if its not dark outside i can go check on my truck

So I just checked and the steering wheel lights should come on when opening the door even in the daytime.

Unfortunately the lights do not work on this wheel. I was out last night and sure enough there was no light. Maybe the negative for the lights returns on a different pin to the BCM? There were 2 different pin outs on GMupfitter one for Air Bag Coil X1 and the other for Air Bag Coil X2. The difference between the 2 being pins 3 and 7 for adaptive cruise control gap and cruise control set/coast/resume/accelerate switch signal.

Same with mine. Did you loose the lights behind the cruise control pad? I figured at least the lights would light up on both sides but was told they have to be turned on through the BCM that has to be programed.

Did you get the heated steering wheel?

I can't imagine that the lights would not work on the cruise control side. My guess would be that due to the steering wheel needing different clock springs for the heated steering wheel it may not be getting the proper power or something. I wonder if you got the regular wheel(without heating) if it would work. Do the cruise functions work like your last wheel. What about the heated part?

Unfortunately the lights do not work on this wheel. I was out last night and sure enough there was no light. Maybe the negative for the lights returns on a different pin to the BCM? There were 2 different pin outs on GMupfitter one for Air Bag Coil X1 and the other for Air Bag Coil X2. The difference between the 2 being pins 3 and 7 for adaptive cruise control gap and cruise control set/coast/resume/accelerate switch signal.

Did you get the heated steering wheel?

I can't imagine that the lights would not work on the cruise control side. My guess would be that due to the steering wheel needing different clock springs for the heated steering wheel it may not be getting the proper power or something. I wonder if you got the regular wheel(without heating) if it would work. Do the cruise functions work like your last wheel. What about the heated part?

I didn't replace the clock spring yet so the heater part, which is 2 separate wires on their own plug(more similar to the airbag wiring), is not connected.

I did check the cruise control and it seems to be working fine. I can always pull out the cruise module from the old wheel and put it in to see if the lights work. But based on the connections I don't think that will make a difference. I think that it has more to do with the second module and volume controls that the ground or supply for the light comes from a different pin. I went from 4 controls that use 5 pins to 14 controls that use 10 pins. It's hard to compare without the wheels apart in front of me.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv. The power of Android combined with the security of BlackBerry.

If anyone has a steering wheel with/without heat but with the radio controls etc... out of their vehicle will you please take a picture of the wiring going into the 10 pin connector.

Yep I think that's why it's not working. I'm going to swap the guts from my original wheel into the leather since the radio controls don't operate and sounds like won't be able to get them to either.

Yep I think that's why it's not working. I'm going to swap the guts from my original wheel into the leather since the radio controls don't operate and sounds like won't be able to get them to either.

Are you going to swap the harness too? Or just the CC module?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you going to swap the harness too? Or just the CC module?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he would have to swap the harnesses to make sure that the wires are in the proper order. I will probably end up doing this as well but not for a few months unless I can get a good deal on a wheel. How hard do y'all think programming would be for this? it would be nice to have radio volume controls.

Do you have the heated wheel or non heated?

I'm going to pull the harness out of the original wheel and install in in the leather. Non heated. I will also replace the radio control pad with the blank that comes on the original.

will the trim have to be swapped or can you leave the silver trim on?

will the trim have to be swapped or can you leave the silver trim on?

The modules unscrew from the trim pieces.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv. The power of Android combined with the security of BlackBerry.

sweet! what about the volume controls on the back? if you take out that module won't there be a hole in the back of the wheel?

I would disconnect them but leave them in place so you don't have the holes.