Anybody Daily Driving a 6.0 Gas HD?

The price of a Crew Cab 1500 is not that far off from that of a Crew Cab 6.0 2500. I think the trade off in MPG would be worth the capability increase going from the 1500 to the 2500 (plus the HDs look better). The diesel is out of reach for me price-wise.

I see a lot of diesel posts. Does anybody drive a 6.0 CC 2500 regularly and, if so, what are your impressions?

Mine is a daily driver, but since I'm in the military and have multiple deployments and my daily commutes have not been to long my current total mileage is only a little over 65k, on a 2006 2500 HD. So here are my thoughts: first I got mine as a 3/4ton over a 1/2 ton mainly as you have stated the price point is not to much of a difference but the "beefier" components and higher capacities of a 3/4ton are a huge plus. Second in the previous gen trucks a major weak point for the 1/2 tons was the 4l60 trans. No matter what people say a 4l60 is not a strong trans. In the newer trucks I have not heard of the 6l80(1/2 ton truck trans) having the durability issues the old 4l60 had, so it maybe much closer of a decision. Third my 3/4 truck rides fine, yes the 1/2tons ride nicer, but whenever I have a load or hook up something to tow, my back half is not looking like it's going to drag on the ground, and the setup as a whole is a lot easier to drive. Lastly, I joke with all the people that ask me about gas mileage, I only say it does everything I want it to do, but pass a gas station. With that being said, I normally get 12-14 city and can hit 16+ on the freeway as long as I don't drive crazy and keep the speed right around 68-70mph, once over 70 the truck only gets in the 15-14-13 range(this is all unloaded). My bottom line feeling about trucks is that it's always better to have more reserve than running it close to the edge. So I have never felt I was close when hauling or towing. And one recommendation is to get the truck tuned, the 6.0l motors are very under tuned from the factory. Good luck!

I've had my '15 Sierra Denali 2500HD for just over 3 weeks and have 2000 miles on the odometer. This is my 3rd 6.0l in about 16 yrs with 5.3l and even a diesel in the middle as I trade every 2-4 yrs. I've always said never again because of the poor mileage but.....here I am again with another 6.0. Guess that must say a lot for the truck! Loving it so far.

Thanks for the responses! When unloaded, does the 6.0 feel like a slug or does it have some speed and ability to keep up moving a 2500?

I don't think the fuel savings of a diesel outweigh the cost of entry and the long term maintenance. The advantages I see are more power and towing capability. However, based on ratings, it appears the 2500 6.0 with 4.10s can tow two cars on a flatbed just fine.

To me the 6.0l is really a beast after you get a tune. Stock, it's still good, but feels like the computer really takes power out of it. But don't forget it's still a big heavy truck, and no matter what people say, 15 sec 1/4mile is not fast, 13- ok, 12 yes, 11- Hells yeah!

I drove a 6.0 as a daily driver for about 11 years. Put 170,000 miles on my 99 C2500. Yealy fuel mileage averaged about 14.5 which included all types of driving and loads. Best gas mileage over the time was a couple of 17.0 highway trips, worst was a 6.5 MPG load from NC back to AR. My diesel with a larger trailer with a faster speed 70 vs 55-60 was 10.5 mpg. Just what happened with mine. :jester:

I've done it before, given a choice I wouldn't put myself in that situation again. At one point I was driving around 16,000 miles a year just to get to and from work, and at 13.5 mpg I was spending around $4000 on gas. Ended up buying a $3000 Civic for a daily driver at 34mpg, I was ahead in gas money in less than 2 years. I'm driving a lot less and still drive a cheap car as a daily driver, it's easier to park, it keep needless wear off of the truck, and if it gets wrecked I have little invested.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

Here's a good gas calculator. I'd use 13 for an 6.0 Vortec, 17 for a half ton and 30 for a small car. If you drive a lot of miles the fuel economy of the 6.0 adds up quickly.

PCF, I would agree, except the original poster was asking between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck, not car. So since he is already getting a truck... I say 3/4 ton gasser is the way to go.

I drive a '04 2500HD daily. I work in construction, so I use mine for towing trailers and carrying tools. Without a trailer the best mileage I've seen is 10. The worst I've seen is 8.5 towing a trailer almost every day. My truck is not tuned, nor does it have intake/exhaust mods. Would I prefer better gas mileage? Sure, but better mileage comes with trade offs, like reduced tow/haul capabilities.

I daily drive the truck in my signature....and my dad daily drives a 2011 2500HD 6.0 that's set up about like mine (extended cab, short bed, 4x4, leveled, and one size bigger tires). He only gets about 1-1.5 MPG less than me....and his truck does all kinds 'truck stuff' much better than mine does. And, with my truck having the leveling kit, and his just having a few cranks on the torsion bars, they actually ride about the same. Plus, his truck has spanked mine in a couple impromptu drag races, haha. After having a couple years of side-by-side comparison, my next truck will definitely be an HD. It's a lot more truck for the money.

If it's just a DD with no pulls or heavy loads I go with the 1/2 ton. I drove one tons and 3/4 tons for work for 30 years. Can't beat the ride of a half ton and fuel mileage.

• 4 weeks later...

i have a 2015 3500 with a canteen body mounted on my 6.0 and avg between 7-9 mpg, with a 6 or a 10 once in a while. i came from a ford v10 getting 6, so doing a little better, but thought it would do 12-15, i am a little disappointed as i have to 3/4 throttle it to leave a light. was thinking of some tuning but dependability and my warranty are my main concern. going for my 5k oil change and recall next week. maybe it will get better

i have a 2015 3500 with a canteen body mounted on my 6.0 and avg between 7-9 mpg, with a 6 or a 10 once in a while. i came from a ford v10 getting 6, so doing a little better, but thought it would do 12-15, i am a little disappointed as i have to 3/4 throttle it to leave a light. was thinking of some tuning but dependability and my warranty are my main concern. going for my 5k oil change and recall next week. maybe it will get better

3/4 throttle just to get moving? Wow what kind of gears did you get? I had 2 pallets of landscaping brick in the bed of mine and iam running 4.10 gears totaling 6800 lbs of weight in the bed and to tell you the truth I barely knew it was back there as far as taking off and stopping.

I just got back 2 weeks ago from a road trip totaling 1400 miles and got 17mpg on the highway unloaded and hauling I really don't care what the mpg is cause I didn't buy the truck for good mpg.

3/4 throttle just to get moving? Wow what kind of gears did you get? I had 2 pallets of landscaping brick in the bed of mine and iam running 4.10 gears totaling 6800 lbs of weight in the bed and to tell you the truth I barely knew it was back there as far as taking off and stopping.

I just got back 2 weeks ago from a road trip totaling 1400 miles and got 17mpg on the highway unloaded and hauling I really don't care what the mpg is cause I didn't buy the truck for good mpg.

4.10 gears only for 6.0.

Archived