In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Silverado-Hareek

MyLink Display flickers in and off; I suspect a leak

But I don't know where it's leaking from. Ever since I bought my truck in February this year, I've had a problem with my touch screen display flickering on and off. The dealer said some wire needed to be replaced and they did that but the problem came back. I notified the dealer and they said most likely the replacement wire was also bad and needed to be changed again. The service rep pulled me aside and said he didn't really think the wire is the problem and that it most likely is a bad display but that they needed to replace the wire again per GM in order to get it fixed under warranty....going through the "proper steps" so to speak. Supposedly they ordered the new wire but they claim it hasn't come in yet so I'm still on the first replacement wire.

That conversation was a month and a half ago and since then, the screen came back on and has been trouble free until yesterday. Yesterday we had our first steady rain that lasted all day. Prior to that we've had a drought in our area. Sure enough yesterday when I left work after the truck sat in the rain all day, the screen started flickering on the way home. So it's definitely water getting in somewhere and shorting something out but I have no idea where. I'll bring this to the attention of my service rep to see if it helps them trace the problem assuming they know the wiring layout in the truck.

Anyway just offering some more information for fellow truck owners.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

Title edit: flickers ON and OFF. Sorry I don't know how to edit the thread title from Tapatalk.

Wow. Thanks for the info.

I've had two problems with the mylink screen within the first 5k miles of ownership. First problem was - service rear camera, second problem was a scrambled looking screen. Both times the audio still worked and could be changed through DIC screen only.

Both problems went away and back to normal after cycling ignition key.

Until reading about your issue, I hadn't realized that both of my issues came about either right after or during rain showers. Coincidence???

Interested to see how your problems are resolved.

Wow. Thanks for the info.

I've had two problems with the mylink screen within the first 5k miles of ownership. First problem was - service rear camera, second problem was a scrambled looking screen. Both times the audio still worked and could be changed through DIC screen only.

Both problems went away and back to normal after cycling ignition key.

Until reading about your issue, I hadn't realized that both of my issues came about either right after or during rain showers. Coincidence???

Interested to see how your problems are resolved.

In your case based on those symptoms I would have guessed a wiring issue or a software issue until you said it happened during a rain event. You may have the leak as well. In my case I was originally in agreement with the service rep on a replacement display unit until I figured out this was only happening during rain storms. Or snow storms as this problem also happened in the winter time after it snowed so I assume the melting snow packed around the bottom of the windshield or on top of the truck leaked inside as well.

But yeah I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

I have a 2018 Chevy Colorado and the same thing just happened to me I had frozen snow on the truck it started melting off and this started happening but it only happens when my lights went on, the back up camera flickers on and off and sometimes just stay on as I was driving. When I shut my lights off screen goes back to normal smh. So something is getting wet wether is in the front my the headlights or in the rear by the tailgate. It is so annoying especially when the GPS is on and I’m trying to get somewhere.  Plus it’s blinding when it goes on. HELP. 

Edited by BlackPaw Colorado
Spell check