2014/15+ HD PowerFold OEM Tow Mirrors (The Ones We've Been Waiting

superchargedss

I have read through countless pages and haven't seen any mention of mirrors without signals/markers/puddle lights.

I have a 2015 Sierra 1500 sle and was wondering which features I can/cannot expect out of the non power folding set. Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 2016 GMC SLT with power fold, heated, turn signal, memory, puddle lights. What tow mirror parts number do I need? and will this be a plug and play setup or is there harnesses that I will need also?

Thanks!

I have a 2016 GMC SLT with power fold, heated, turn signal, memory, puddle lights. What tow mirror parts number do I need? and will this be a plug and play setup or is there harnesses that I will need also?

Thanks!

Be nice to know if you have a 1500 or HD. [emoji41]

How about on a 2015 1500 SLE??? I'm pretty sure i have narrowed it down to needed a new door harness for each side. I have the mirrors on but with only power movement and heat. Thanks for any help.

I have not seen plug and play for a 1500.

There is if you get the correct door harnesses as I have done.

As far as lower trim trucks it should require the same door harness or if you can find a truck with tow mirrors that match your options pull the part numbers from there.

I installed my mirrors today even though I knew I wouldn't have time to mess with wiring them. Pulling the door panels is easy enough. I had DL3 mirrors with powerfold, memory, puddles, heat, signals etc, and I bought the powerfold tow mirrors. As others have stated, everything works as intended except the ambers and the white leds. Powerfold, signals, memory, etc, all good. Ambers come on as puddles when it gets dark. I wanted to go ahead and get them installed so that step would be done. Gotta get ahold of some harnesses now. Had both mirrors installed in about an hour. Pretty simple. Just sharing my experience. My truck was made in August of 2013 so it's a very early 2014 SLT 1500. Am I to assume that after new harnesses the memory will no longer work? Judging by the table above with the truck and mirror models, I should need a memory flash, though it worked after installing the tow mirrors.

I installed my mirrors today even though I knew I wouldn't have time to mess with wiring them. Pulling the door panels is easy enough. I had DL3 mirrors with powerfold, memory, puddles, heat, signals etc, and I bought the powerfold tow mirrors. As others have stated, everything works as intended except the ambers and the white leds. Powerfold, signals, memory, etc, all good. Ambers come on as puddles when it gets dark. I wanted to go ahead and get them installed so that step would be done. Gotta get ahold of some harnesses now. Had both mirrors installed in about an hour. Pretty simple. Just sharing my experience. My truck was made in August of 2013 so it's a very early 2014 SLT 1500. Am I to assume that after new harnesses the memory will no longer work? Judging by the table above with the truck and mirror models, I should need a memory flash, though it worked after installing the tow mirrors.

Even though you have an early build 2014 if your truck works like mine then your memory will still work even after you install the harnesses. No flash of any kind will be required.

I have the dpn mirrors on my early build 2015 Denali 2500hd. It doesn't say anything about dpn mirrors on the chart or the bulletin posted earlier in this thread. Has anyone successfully swapped to dqs tow mirrors from the dpn style tow mirrors?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but with so many very long tow mirror threads, I can't remember what I read where.

I have a 2014 Silverado LT with the DL8 mirrors. I am familiar with GMs kit which includes the two non power fold mirrors. Plus I am aware of the 3 harnesses that I would need to make it fully function.

What I am not clear on is has anyone with the DL8 (non power fold mirrors) bought the power fold chrome mirrors and the 3 harnesses and added the switch and adapted them to make the power fold work? I wouldn't mind moving a wire in the harness, or even running an extra power wire if necessary, but I am just trying to find out if anyone has figured out how to do this.

I know it will be a lot more expensive, but I am very interested in the power fold option. It seems like if you add the switch and the harnesses, it would be possible to make it work, but I am not sure of this.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I have the dpn mirrors on my early build 2015 Denali 2500hd. It doesn't say anything about dpn mirrors on the chart or the bulletin posted earlier in this thread. Has anyone successfully swapped to dqs tow mirrors from the dpn style tow mirrors?

Have you figured this out yet? I have the same early build duramax with dpn. I couldn't find an answer on the many threads or forums I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you figured this out yet? I have the same early build duramax with dpn. I couldn't find an answer on the many threads or forums I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Many. I did this myself, but I went about it in a very overdramatic way and replaced the entire harness, BCM, switches etc. so it's identical to AVF trucks (I'm a purist with issues. :)) I noted at the time that there's a gauge difference in wiring... and GM has recently clarified that DQS mirrors are NOT recommended on non-AVF and beyond vehicles for that reason. The wiring and fusing is not technically sufficient to handle the larger powerfold motor on the DQS mirrors. I've done a couple of installs for people that didn't want to heed that warning and as far as I know, there's been no complaints. I did notice mine powerfold faster than the other two, but that could be coincidence.

Short version -- if you don't absolutely require the powerfold (which admittedly, is nice), the GM accessory kit is the way to go. It's going to have everything you need (apart from the adapter which is purchased separately) and the chrome version looks just like the DQS mirrors, just no powerfold. You'll be within GM spec and not have any issues should the BCM fry (even if unrelated.) If you want to do powerfold/DQS, you can either do it by replacing the switches (driver's side mirror, passenger side window) if you don't have the small powerfold mirrors, or use a separate switch. That would allow you to run a proper circuit to support it.

Also note, the rear cargo lights (spotlights in the mirror) do not work in reverse on any of the tow mirrors, even if you buy the accessory kit -- on the early build 15's. GM has no intention to fix that as it requires a core OS calibration change (vs a calibration index), so you can run a separate switch for that or there's a couple of modifications available such as using a diode between the reverse signal and the cargo lights so they come on in reverse.

Also note, the rear cargo lights (spotlights in the mirror) do not work in reverse on any of the tow mirrors, even if you buy the accessory kit -- on the early build 15's. GM has no intention to fix that as it requires a core OS calibration change (vs a calibration index), so you can run a separate switch for that or there's a couple of modifications available such as using a diode between the reverse signal and the cargo lights so they come on in reverse.

Are you sure about this? GM released the RZY harness specifically for the 2014 and early 2015 trucks. The white reverse LEDs were never supposed to come on automatically, they are linked to the cargo light button which you have to push manually and as far as I have heard they work just fine on 2014 and early 2015 if you swap in the RZY harness, door harnesses, and power fold mirrors.

Or is this some weird anomaly with the 2500HD?

Are you sure about this? GM released the RZY harness specifically for the 2014 and early 2015 trucks. The white reverse LEDs were never supposed to come on automatically, they are linked to the cargo light button which you have to push manually and as far as I have heard they work just fine on 2014 and early 2015 if you swap in the RZY harness, door harnesses, and power fold mirrors.

Or is this some weird anomaly with the 2500HD?

Very sure. The RZY is to fill the missing wiring. The cargo lights on the 14 and early 15's do not operate in reverse and because there was no "as built" configuration for that option, it is not possible to do a Vehicle Calibration Index (ie GM can program your BCM to enable remote start after installation because it was available from the factory, just not on your vehicle... that's not the case for the mirrors.) When the DQS mirrors were engineered, the engineers had to get explicit permission from the legal department to allow the cargos to function in reverse... which they signed off on so long as they displayed "Cargo Lights Active" on the DIC. That's why 14's and early 15's say nothing on the dash and only illuminate the switch, but the 15.5+ display the message on the DIC. It was an addition to the base operating system for the AVF+ vehicles and thus far, TCSC reports they are standing firm on not backporting it.

The install docs for the new accessory mirrors in SI now (as of last month) explicitly state that the LED spotlight will not function in reverse on non-AVF trucks.

I think it's a kick in the face to the 14 / early 15 owners -- especially now that they're selling the kit, but it is what it is. The new GM has lots and lots of red tape and they fret over everything. Thus far, they won't backport the change to the older OS because the scope from legal's signoff was focused... so they'd have to get another signoff, complete testing, QA, etc. It's not worth it to them, which I can understand. Hopefully they change their mind, but don't hold your breath.

Archived