Anyone with a 2015 6.2l with the 8 speed auto?

Well amother ECM falt after all my problems they think it's a ground issue so what to do now after they think they fix it this time should I file lemon law or give it another chance and even if I keep it I will always be worried about it putting me down I would feel good if they found the root cause but all they said they were going todo was clean and tighten all the grounds

File a lemon law or get rid of it (preferably through buy back) and/or take the hit. It's already past the point where, even if they manage to fix it, you will be constantly on nerve's end thinking "is this the day it breaks again?"

You don't want that. No vehicle is worth that.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I started the lemon law process so if It breaks down on me one more time they have one last chance to fix it and after that if it breaks down again they have to buy the truck back or replace it so I have to deal with this two more times at the most

General Motors has decided that certain 2015 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Silverado LD Crew, Silverado LD Crew LTZ, Silverado LD Ext LTZ, GMC Sierra LD Crew, Sierra LD Crew Denali, Sierra LD Ext, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali equipped with 8-Speed Transmission (RPO M5U) have transmission gear whine noise.

To address this condition we will be releasing Service Update Bulletin 15178 as soon as a sufficient quantity of replacement parts is available. It is estimated that only 50% of the involved vehicles will require repair.

Until the bulletin is released, the following drive audit inspection procedure should be immediately performed on all involved vehicles in dealer new vehicle inventory. A list of involved vehicles that have been identified as being in dealer new vehicle inventory is attached to this message. It is sorted by dealer Business Associate Code (BAC) for easy reference. Performance of this drive audit will help ensure that a vehicle with this condition is not delivered to a customer until it is repaired.

Drive Audit Inspection Procedure

Transmission gear whine noise, if present, is typically observed at 1000-2000 RPM and between 20 mph (32 kph) and 35 mph (56 kph). Drive conditions that may reveal the gear whine noise are provided below.

Under light drive condition coming from a stop:

Third gear: a little gear whine

Fourth gear: gear whine becomes very apparent

Fifth gear: gear whine still high but lower level compared to fourth gear

Under coast coming to a stop:

Drive the vehicle for about 15-20 minutes at various speeds up to 40 mph (64 kph) to determine if gear whine noise is present.

If gear whine noise is NOT present, the vehicle requires no further action and may be delivered to a customer.

If gear whine noise is present, the vehicle should be held and not delivered to a customer until the bulletin is released and repairs can be performed.

Submit a warranty transaction using the table below. All transactions should be submitted as a ZFAT transaction type, unless noted otherwise.

Labour Description Labour

Code Time

9101404 Drive Audit Inspection Procedure – Gear Whine Noise is Not 0.5

Present - No Further Action Required

If the drive audit inspection procedure indicates that gear whine noise is present, the warranty transaction for the drive audit must be held and not submitted until Service Update Bulletin 15178 is released. At that time, a new labour code for the required repair will be provided and will include labour time for the drive audit.

Additional information about the release of the bulletin will be provided in the near future.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

General Motors has decided that certain 2015 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Silverado LD Crew, Silverado LD Crew LTZ, Silverado LD Ext LTZ, GMC Sierra LD Crew, Sierra LD Crew Denali, Sierra LD Ext, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali equipped with 8-Speed Transmission (RPO M5U) have transmission gear whine noise.

Definitely sounds like what I have. Don't know if I want to let any GM people try to fix this. Hate to go in for the gear whine and come out with all the other problems others have had.

Interesting post about the gear whine. I noticed a little bit of a whine in my 2015, but sounded normal to me. If they would have fixed the clunking and shifting problems (which were far worse), I would have kept mine.

I went and test drove the 2015 Ford F150 5.0. Shifts like a vehicle is supposed to. Negotiating process next.

Good luck and keep us posted. My new Ram's 8-speed shifts flawlessly....guessing the Ford is right up there as well.

Interesting post about the gear whine. I noticed a little bit of a whine in my 2015, but sounded normal to me. If they would have fixed the clunking and shifting problems (which were far worse), I would have kept mine.

My original transmission didn't whine. My replacement whines to the point where my wife laughed the first time she heard it saying it was funny a big truck like that makes such a noise. So their "50% affected", is spot on for me.

My goes back to the dealer on Thursday for last repair attempt for a slew of issues. This takes the cake.

Just had my first fill up, about 350 miles with a couple of gallons left on the tank. All good so far, 407 miles (mileage getting up there)

Been listening and trying to see if I can find anything wrong that is mentioned on these forums, just can't. Love my truck

lifetime 17mpg

trip A 22mpg (63 miles on the tank)

I am glad the 8 speed wasn't available when I purchased my truck. Maybe this is why GM only put the 8 speed in certain limited trim/motor levels - they couldn't handle all the recalls at this time with the new transmission. My 6 speed is running okay at this time and it didn't cost me the additional money for the 8 speed. Let GM work out the bugs on the new comers.

GM is testing the waters with the 8 speed and working out the bugs before mass production.

Well still have not got my truck back yet they say there working on it but at the same time they don't know what's wrong with it and can't find anything yet other then the same ECM code so me and the manger had words about it but yet he still knows nothing about it it went as far as he telling me to give me his keys back to the loaner truck so I threw them on the desk and ok now give me my truck back and then the crawfish appeared needless to say I'm still in the loaner and if I would not of lisened to him time after time about him saying we can fix it I would have a new truck by now threw the lemon law now I have to wait for it to break down again and give them yet another chance to fix befor I can get a new truck or befor they have to buy the truck back so don't hold back on starting the process do it as soon as you qualify !!!!!

To address this condition we will be releasing Service Update Bulletin 15178 as soon as a sufficient quantity of replacement parts is available. It is estimated that only 50% of the involved vehicles will require repair.

Until the bulletin is released, the following drive audit inspection procedure should be immediately performed on all involved vehicles in dealer new vehicle inventory. A list of involved vehicles that have been identified as being in dealer new vehicle inventory is attached to this message. It is sorted by dealer Business Associate Code (BAC) for easy reference. Performance of this drive audit will help ensure that a vehicle with this condition is not delivered to a customer until it is repaired.

Drive Audit Inspection Procedure

Transmission gear whine noise, if present, is typically observed at 1000-2000 RPM and between 20 mph (32 kph) and 35 mph (56 kph). Drive conditions that may reveal the gear whine noise are provided below.

Under light drive condition coming from a stop:

Under coast coming to a stop:

Drive the vehicle for about 15-20 minutes at various speeds up to 40 mph (64 kph) to determine if gear whine noise is present.

If gear whine noise is NOT present, the vehicle requires no further action and may be delivered to a customer.

If gear whine noise is present, the vehicle should be held and not delivered to a customer until the bulletin is released and repairs can be performed.

Submit a warranty transaction using the table below. All transactions should be submitted as a ZFAT transaction type, unless noted otherwise.

Labour Description Labour

Code Time

9101404 Drive Audit Inspection Procedure – Gear Whine Noise is Not 0.5

Present - No Further Action Required

If the drive audit inspection procedure indicates that gear whine noise is present, the warranty transaction for the drive audit must be held and not submitted until Service Update Bulletin 15178 is released. At that time, a new labour code for the required repair will be provided and will include labour time for the drive audit.

Additional information about the release of the bulletin will be provided in the near future.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

I got a hold of the bulletin quoted above, and the above bulletin has been altered for whatever reason. My copy of the bulletin says "It is estimated that only 5% of the involved vehicles will require repair.", not "50%". Which makes sense, as it would be odd to say "...only 50%..." as originally posted.

That said, still doesn't help me that I'm one of the 5%, but I think it is worth correcting to set expectations on the scope of the problem.

I find out more tomorrow and Friday at the dealership, for the last time.

Archived