cjb321's 06 sierra 2500HD

cjb321

Little history on the truck first.

Started out as a fleet truck for a company i used to work for. It had 6 years of abuse before it was assigned to me for work. Got alot of stuff replaced on the company's dime but after a while they told me they were going to trade it in for a 1/2 ton dodge. About a week before the date they said it was getting traded they sent me an email saying i could buy it from them if i wanted too. So i did.

Here is how it sat when i got it minus the company logo's.

IMG_0541.jpg

Body damage and missing/damaged interior pieces.

exterior:

wind caught the doors. Both are damaged but driver side is worse.

IMG_20140927_122107763_zps9e9e4b93.jpg

IMG_20140927_122144844_zps3ea69dfd.jpg

bed is stretched and dented from jamming pallets in it with a forklift

IMG_20140927_124419248_zps88ff79fb.jpg

IMG_20140927_124433292_zps626b29d8.jpg

thats all the pictures i have of damage. But it had holes in the roof for the satelite/gps tracking antenna and cb radio antenna. Interior pretty much trashed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing i did was change the wheels/tires

Devino 17x10 (stolen off a friends truck lol) with Falken Wildpeaks 285/70/17

IMG_0559_zpsd7aad35f.jpg

rubbed like crazy on turns so a little trimmong and tbar crank and all was good. Also had the windows tinted the same day.

IMG_05601.jpg

Then came a little body work.

Filled in the holes in the roof from the satellite antenna reused the cb antenna for my cb

IMG_0758_zpsdfda11b1.jpg

color matched the valance and grill to the rest of the plastic on the truck. Duplicolor bedliner in a rattle can sprayed fairly close to get a light texture gets pretty close to the factory texture on the flares

IMG_0760_zpsd44638b8.jpg

had to fill the holes because water was leaking into the truck but the rest of the body work will be done professionally when i get it painted. If i can find a bed for a fair price i'll swap it out myself though

At 92k the transmission decided that 3rd and 4th gear werent needed. So a new reman'd one was put in by a local shop. Couldnt pass up the 100k mile/3 year warranty otherwise i would have done the swap myself for and saved some cash lol. Dont have pictures of that but we all know what a transmission looks like anyway lol

Then at 105k miles i decided that spark plugs and wires would prolly be a good idea, truck was running fine but started idling a little rough

didnt look all that bad for original plugs, wires were a little brittle though

IMG_20140519_162101396_zps0034f067.jpg

Shocks came a week later. Bilstein 5100. still had the original ones also

IMG_20140527_195939230_zpse5a77910.jpg

Air raid intake tube and afe dry filter intalled in stock housing

IMG_20140927_121950143_zps6f965a12.jpg

Took a trip to the local junkyard and got the missing/damaged pieces for the interior plus the fold down console jumpseat. original one was just a seat. Had to replace the lid but otherwise a good find at the junkyard

IMG_20140505_182745298_zps22fc0c03.jpg

the foam or whatever the steering wheel was made out of was flaking off and i hated the feel of the cover i had on it so i got a nice one off ebay. controls arent hooked up though but i may get the harness someday and make it work. New stereo and speakers, Gps and CB mounted and all the pillar covers replaced. the red gmc logo in the steering wheel is blue now. used a paint pen lol

IMG_20140527_200119158_zps28d8db62.jpg

changed the orange needles to blue

IMG_20140602_193848761_zpse838e0bd.jpg

night shot

IMG_20140602_205739486_zps05c41b01.jpg

got tired of the devino rims and wanted to go to chrome or polished aluminum. picked up a nice set of factory dodge rims off craigslist for $200 figured if they didnt fit i could resell just as easy.

test fit

IMG_20140823_163724246_HDR_zpsacf61dca.j

after my tires were swapped on and gm caps installed

IMG_20140829_154419982_HDR_zpsfd814337.j

Got tired of carrying all my tools and stuff in the back floorboard so broke down and got a toolbox. Didnt want to at first since the bed is short but after some though i decided thats why i have a trailer right?

IMG_20140927_122229722_HDR_zps9112a58f.j

got the smaller one because i wanted to keep access to the tie downs at the base of the bed

And thats where she sits so far. Getting ready to order a new front bumper and a chrome rear one to match. Rear one right now is grey and has small dents in it. Future plans are brushguard for the front, friend is going to make me some steps i guess you could say but really just rocker protection. Paint and bodywork, when i bring it to get painted im going to have them clean and paint the frame also, some surface rust on the frame but mostly years of dust caked on from lease roads that seems to have turned to concrete lol

this is the 3rd vehicle i've used the afe filter on. cant say there is any performance gains but its nice to just clean it out let it dry then put it back in. put 60k miles on the one i had in my jeep with no problems. still looked newe when i cleaned it before i sold the jeep.

• 1 year later...

Been a while since i posted on this but not much has changed, life wont let me play lately :(

Oil pump cratered on me after work, first time i have ever had to have one of my personal vehicles towed

IMG_0103_zpse6spdufj.jpg

couple weeks later i picked up a nail in my rear tire and the idiot at the tire shop mangled my rim somehow putting the tire back on so i had them put my old rims back on, gotta order new centers though

IMG_0115_zpszvd5oloz.jpg

took the spacer off the front but left the ones on the rear, evened out the stance a little, i like it

IMG_0113_zpsaac55ruf.jpg

hopefully soon i can get back on track getting her fixed up

• 1 month later...

Still slowly getting this truck up to where i want it....

couple weeks ago a hamster moved in under my truck with his wheel and drove me crazy, i kicked him out today lol

Rear driveshaft u-joints, well whats left of them, yes those are needle bearings all over the floor

IMG_0230_zpsdmuwraeb.jpg

Also ordered the MBRP cat back since the flowmaster was starting to rattle and the drone was gettting old or maybe im just getting old

layed out on the garge floor making sure all was good since UPS likes to throw the boxes off a cliff before they deliver them

IMG_0227_zpscnmx1nbl.jpg

i can has tailpipes

IMG_0231_zps19hlymec.jpg

startup, idle, rev

In cab... a lot quieter in the cab now

So between Daryl's 06 build and Chris's 04 build i have a few ideas im stealing.

Decided im going to concentrate on interior upgrades first since there is less to do and so far drivetrain wise its been pretty solid. Already did some as posted earlier but the list to do now is as follows:

Replace airbag with one from an Envoy, didnt realize until i read through Chris's build that they were the same units on the trucks and i always liked the way the 900s has the actual emblem in the airbag rather than the etch in the plastic. Found a dark gray one on ebay for $69 total shipped to my door. It'll match the new wheel i put on a while back.

I have the normal hole in the side of the driver seat that im either going to patch and just put some quality covers on or see what the local guy here in town will charge to redo the seat to match the original material.

Being i have a bare bones work truck model its not as insulated as the upper level truck so im going put sound deadening material thoughout the cab.

I'm also going to get the dash part that goes around the guages and radio/hvac area hydrodipped to match the steering wheel, also the vents on the passenger side. There is a shop about 35 minutes from me that does it just have to get up there to talk to them about it.

If i can find both doors with power locks and maybe windows i'll swap them out, already have the wires for the locks there but i'd have to get the harness for the windows. If i cant then i'll just replce the panel on the driver door since its got a crack in it and where it screws at the very bottom is broken so the bottom of the doo flops around when you close it.

Probably just get the sub box that goes under the rear seat and speakers/amp for it. Dont want to go any bigger than 10s, i dont need the whole world hearing my radio.

Debating on changing all the guages to blue LED, hvac and light switches also or just leave them white.

Going to get the Escalade cluster bezel but use the stock face, i dont like the others since they dont match the hvac contol letters.

New headliner eventually and if possible the console that goes up there.

That alot of text and i apologize if your eyes hurt now lol. Truck will be paid off by the end of this year so it should go a little faster after that :)

Archived