Why no A/C or heat vents for the rear seats?

I don't carry passengers too much, but it's getting cold out and last weekend a friend in the back of my Crew Cab asked me to turn up the heat... so I did and then he asked me to turn it up again and i was like "how are you not on fire?!".

Turns out there's no vents back there huh?! Haha, I've had the truck a year now and just noticed this. 52K truck and no vents in the back seats... makes sense.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some under the driver and passenger seats that work quite well in the winter months. I've had no complaints from back seat passengers regardless of temperature outside. The unit's fan seems to do a decent job blowing cool air from the front vents to the rear of the cab, and during winter, the floor vents work well. On my 99 that had the vents in the rear console, many time people closed them because it was either too hot or too cold right into their legs or face.

It would have been nice if the new trucks got them added back, but not a dealbreaker to me.

wasn't a deal breaker for me, and there are vents under the front seats as mentioned. Just make sure you use one of the floor settings on the climate control, because in the Auto setting it seems to blow out of the dash vents only.

Been discussed at length before. GM ef'd up on that.

YUP. Very rarely do I have people in the back. This summer I had a few and they complained about being hot(which means the reverse will be true for the winter). So I had to end up suffering and being cold to get them not to be hot.

You have confirmed this through a certain source or are you just guessing?

Confirmed that GM hvac engineering for K2XX is evaluating/working on adding them to these trucks. Might be another year or two.

• 4 months later...

Agreed. Especially since my 2006 Tundra had vents in the B-pillars and under the seats for the back passengers. If Toyota can do it back then, GM can easily do it now. That was the missing feature that was almost the deal breaker for me. I decided buy anyway because I rarely have passengers in the back and use the back more for storage. Overall, its like they shoved all the tech in the front row and then completely neglected the second row. Its not like they don't build SUVs....

Doesn't matter anyway, since my truck is in the shop about as much as I drive it, which means only the tech gets to use HVAC.

every gm dealer i went to and complained told me that when the dealer came out to show the 2014 models, they talked to an engineer about it. i visited dealers in arizona and texas, so yes im sure they got a lot of feedback. people aren't going to ditch a truck because it has no rear vents, but it shouldnt be an afterthought, kinda like heated seats that actually get warm.

Confirmed that GM hvac engineering for K2XX is evaluating/working on adding them to these trucks. Might be another year or two.

Sounds like a candidate for mid-cycle refresh.

There are vents under the seats that blow hot or cold air. They work quite well.

are you crazy? they do not work quite well, and they only work in lower, or bi level, not vent. they barely blow anything, and why would you blow AC down there anyway?

Archived