2015 8-speed Silverado/Sierra fuel economy set at 21mpg highway

Zane

What I do not understand is the Suburbain, gets 23mpg highway according to the feds... the 4 wheel drive gets 22...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Chevrolet_Suburban.shtml

What gives? It seems a truck would be lighter and get comparible or better than a much heavier Suburban.

John

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I do not understand is the Suburbain, gets 23mpg highway according to the feds... the 4 wheel drive gets 22...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Chevrolet_Suburban.shtml

What gives? It seems a truck would be lighter and get comparible or better than a much heavier Suburban.

John

Feds do not do economy testing, manufacturer does. And the test they do may not even be a moving test, so weight is not relative. For the longest time the economy testing did not even have hills involved, or traffic for that matter. I think I read something recently about how the testing was being done, and it also said testing procedure was being changed to be more realistic to real world live driving conditions. Do not recall where I saw it, or if I was even awake when I read it.

Over the years, it seems that they cannot figure out much of anything on vehicle mpg testing. I have found that diesels seemed skewed a little to the low side, while gassers seem skewed to the high side. It is somewhat common for owners to complain they are not getting the EPA mpg that was advertised with their gas vehicles, yet many diesel owners seem to report getting a little better.

I know that our Jeep Liberty diesel it was that way. The EPA mpg estimates on it were 27 mpg. Even Consumer Reports said it wouldn't get that. In reality, it busted 32 mpg highway regularly. On a good day, it would bust 35 mpg. The gas versions, hardly anyone could get to the EPA mpg estimates on a good day.

Oh well, it makes sense that the government cannot get mpg estimates right. They can't figure out who our enemies are around the world, so why should they be expected to know about vehicle mpg either.

I know my 2005 Buick Rainier V8 AWD the window sticker said 19 highway, I would routinely average 19 mpg going to work and back in the summer, matter of fact I have 84,380 miles of logged fuel mileage data from my DIC, and calculating actual gallons, and I average 18mpg in that little truck with the V8

My Best MPG was 21.60 on a trip

and my worst was 11.90 pulling a 4000# trailer.

I have a 15 min journey to work, mostly highway.

But give that same truck to my wife, and all bets are off... she is lucky to get 17.

John

Mine said 16/20.

20 ... LOL yeah, good luck with that one! Best I've ever seen was 18 out west on ethanol-free gas, 100% highway driving. I get 10.5 towing, or less. Got to run premium too, or this thing will detonate itself to pieces while towing. Normally I get between 15-16 average, unloaded. Got to run premium too, or this thing will detonate itself to pieces while towing. Winter time 15 flat is about as good as I can get. Fuel sucks up here.

Archived