6.0 gas engine

I'm not sure if this has been talked about on here but why does the 2015 hd's have the old 6.0 engine in them ? with all the technology out there they could not improve on this engine to .

1. get better gas millage.

2. get more power and torque .

because it seams to be able to tow close to the duramax as far as weight goes .

I say this not that i tow everyday but i do tow but not enough to justify another $9K on a diesel .

after seeing those people who do that run in Colorado on u-tube it looked like the truck could not get out of its on way towing to it's limit the brakes stayed cool as they pointed out on one side of the run. here is the video

I'm hoping it will do the job but that video just killed it for me

Cheaper to maintain especially for fleets. 6 quarts of oil (versus 8 quarts for 5.3 and 6.2) and cheaper oil (5w30 vs 0w20). Cheaper for GM too probably as that motor has probably bought and paid for itself by now. Also, no iron block Gen V. 6.0 is iron block.

I love mine. I've had 3 of them, two older ones (2004 and 2006) and now my 2015 and the newest version is a great engine.

Also, as far as the gauntlet video you posted, if I recall, the 6.0 pulled the gauntlet faster than the new 6.4 Hemi in the Ram in their other test.

And honestly, most people who will tow like that would jump for the diesel in the first place. Gas trucks can do it but the diesels will do it better.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the current 6.0 is a great motor.....but I would still love to see GM give it direct injection (to get a similar boost in power and mpg, like the new 5.3 and 6.2)....or just upgrade to an iron block 6.2. Even if they tuned it down a bit from the 6.2 in the 1500 trucks, 390-400 hp and 425-440 torque would be plenty, especially with an 8-speed and 4:10 gears. :thumbs:

I would love to see it with torque in the 400-500's if you could get that much out of a gas motor .

The 8.1 did that and the 454 was right around 400. The Ford 3V V10 was up there too. Big gas engines were never that popular with the masses. The nice thing about the big blocks was that they had lots of torque low in the power band. With turbo charging it should be easily achieved, but I don't think the big three are going to be too quick to produce another gas option that doesn't have the appeal of diesel or the not-so-terrible fuel economy of a 6ish liter V8.

i like the Ike Gauntlet test, but sometimes they borderline on the ridiculous. It's impressive that the Chevy didn't overheat the engine or transmission. Same for the test they did with the 6.2 F250 that basically went up the mountain screaming in 2nd gear.

I'm thinking the 6.0 is on its way out within the next few years and is going to be replaced. With what? Who knows. 6.2? Possibly. Something else? More likely. GM has to continue improving fuel economy to meet the CAFE standards.

The 6.0 HP/TQ numbers don't compare with the DMAX HP/TQ numbers but in fairness did you watch the GMC/Chevy equipped with DMAX run the Gauntlet? Yes the DMAX does tow better but none of the video's of the DMAX towed as much weight and there times where no THAT much better. I'm sure most of us don't ever tow to capacity and on hills like that. I LOVE the 6.0 (my 2nd GM w/ 6.0) and just could not justify the extra 8K++ for a DMAX and the extra maintenance cost. Like 'The Rod' said, I'd love to see DI added to the 6.0 too.

Year for year the 6.0l might not tow as well as the same year DMax, but I can tell you my 2012 tows every bit as good as my first (1989) and second generation (1995, 1999, and 1999) Cummins. Only with the introduction of the electronic 3rd generation (in all makes) did the big gassers start losing the towing wars.

It amazes me what I did with an anemic 318 or 360 Dodge back in the day, they were less than 200hp/300tq. Have the trailers gotten that much heavier?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

In the few years I owned my 2008 Dmax- The maintenance side of the fence wasn't too aweful. It's just the cost of Diesel that can suck sometimes. GM really did a great job with the Duramax and chassis and with the Allison, they had the winning combination for many many years until Ford figured it out with the current 6.7L And I have nothing but praise and respect for Cummins as well. It's just too bad it is in a Dodge. But even Dodge has improved. Not to the point where I would trust them again, but maybe in a few more years. But my next truck is defenitly going to be a Duramax again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, in all fairness, if you shoved air into the 6.0 like it gets shoved into the Dmax, the numbers would be impressive. The Dmax without a turbo would be one of the old N/A diesels of the 1980's. I would be willing to bet that a turbo or blower on a 6.0L would be the difference between night and day. Not really a contest when one engine is gasping for air and the other is getting 30lb of boost shoved down it's wind pipe.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 3

Yeah, kinda like old rifle cartridges compared to the newer stuff. I am still fond of a 30.06 or a 45-70, or even the old 30-30. Say what you want, but not a lot walks away after getting hit with a 405 grain bullet from a 45-70. Some things that have a history and have proven themselves are just worth keeping around. That is why I am seriously in talks with getting a 2015 2500HD now. Yeah, they might do the 6.2L next year, but that thing is so full of stuff that can go wrong. Scotty said it right on one of the Star Trek movies... "the more complicated you make the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain".

• Like 2