6.0 gas engine

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

funny how the marine version 6.0 puts out 380hp and 400tq..... thoughts??

Drivetrain and loading are different between a truck and a boat, therefore a little more in a marine application won't affect longevity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Drivetrain and loading are different between a truck and a boat, therefore a little more in a marine application won't affect longevity.

of course that is to be considered but I thought that maybe there was some difference in the two.

of course that is to be considered but I thought that maybe there was some difference in the two.

Probably nothing more than programming...the 6.0l is severely detuned from my understanding, to protect it and the drivetrain it's attached.

The Marine Version also shouldn't have catalytic converters, or atleast I wouldn't think they would. Not a boat person, so just blindly throwing my own thoughts out there.

Probably nothing more than programming...the 6.0l is severely detuned from my understanding, to protect it and the drivetrain it's attached.

You would be surprised, twisting stock L96 6.0 motors on the dyno they really don't pick up much power.

The detuning that is there is to protect the trans and torque converter.

Stock converters/exhaust flow great.

Great motor, just not a powerhouse in stock form.

Does the 360 HP rating on the truck version account for the parasitic drag by the fan? If so, I don't know much about boats, but I assume they don't have engine-driven cooling fans?

Fan is only on when needed, it has a clutch so no drag unless it is on.

Fan is only on when needed, it has a clutch so no drag unless it is on.

a traditional fan clutch never fully disengages, and draws some power even when cold. perhaps there are newer technologies i am unfamiliar with, but unless that is the case, the fan is definitely a parasitic loss even when cold.

Marine applications have less emission tuning as well as now drive train related issues normally. The tune will be hotter. etc. Oh and a properly tuned stock l96 with Maybe a set of headers can pull down 400/400 without much issue. Yes they are detuned etc. Its why they last so long and will run at 5000rpm all day long. Gm needs to bump the power up in the six and everyone would be happy. Would be no issue getting into the 450hp range like the 6.2 and have a great torque curve as well. IF they would just cam and tune it correctly and not worry about drive train warranty.

Marine applications have less emission tuning as well as now drive train related issues normally. The tune will be hotter. etc. Oh and a properly tuned stock l96 with Maybe a set of headers can pull down 400/400 without much issue. Yes they are detuned etc. Its why they last so long and will run at 5000rpm all day long. Gm needs to bump the power up in the six and everyone would be happy. Would be no issue getting into the 450hp range like the 6.2 and have a great torque curve as well. IF they would just cam and tune it correctly and not worry about drive train warranty.

I agree. And, now that they've dropped the 5yr/100k drive train warranty for a 5yr/60k warranty, they should be able to turn up the heat a little bit. I'd like to see them crank more out of the 6.0 or come up with a de-tuned, iron block, truck version of the 6.2.......or heck, just build a torque monster truck version of that 7.0 they used in the Vette a few years back, haha.

a traditional fan clutch never fully disengages, and draws some power even when cold. perhaps there are newer technologies i am unfamiliar with, but unless that is the case, the fan is definitely a parasitic loss even when cold.

They usually rate horsepower without any accessories...

I doesn't matter how much HP they give them people would say it's not enough. They hit the sweet spot for most people who tow light- medium trailers and kept them reliable. The rest can go to the diesels. I read here people saying the 5.3 and even the 6.2 is slow, hell the 4.3 in a two door will out run most muscle cars of the 70s and pretty much anything from the 80s. Some people just can't be pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doesn't matter how much HP they give them people would say it's not enough. They hit the sweet spot for most people who tow light- medium trailers and kept them reliable. The rest can go to the diesels. I read here people saying the 5.3 and even the 6.2 is slow, hell the 4.3 in a two door will out run most muscle cars of the 70s and pretty much anything from the 80s. Some people just can't be pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pretty confident my 2016 cc gasser will outrun my 1972 k10 396, even while weighing 2000 lbs more. If the old truck had the 6L90 and 4.10 gears, it would probably win, but the th350 gearing just kills it. Either way you slice it, my L96 makes a lot more power than my 396.

Archived