First look at the next generation 2016 Chevrolet Volt

Zane

2016_ChevyVolt.jpg

By Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
11/20/2014

The next generation Chevrolet Volt has been uncovered. Above is the very first public look at the new extended range plug-in hybrid expected to officially debut at the 2015 North American International Auto Show in January.

Chevrolet has been leaking small details about the new (2016) Volt for the last month but this is the first time we've seen a completely undisguised photograph of the vehicle.

What we know about the second generation Volt so far:

• All new Voltec extended range system
  • Increased electric range
  • New battery pack is 30-lbs lighter and increases capacity by 20% by volume
  • Two motor drive unit operates 5-12 percent more efficiently and weighs 100-lbs less
  • All new 1.5L gasoline engine will act as range extender
  • New charging system will use electric rates and GPS to determine location for best charging time and settings to use
  • New charging status indicator will allow for quick reference without entering vehicle
  • New charging cord is 25ft longer for increased access

Look for more details and photos of the new Volt to surface soon!

Volt_battery.jpegVolt_Charging port.jpeg

EDIT: Chevrolet has officially released these new teaser photos this morning

2Volt1.jpeg

3Volt1.jpeg

Volt1.jpeg

2016_ChevyVolt.jpg

Volt_battery.jpeg

Volt_Charging port.jpeg

2Volt1.jpeg

3Volt1.jpeg

Volt1.jpeg

2016_ChevyVolt.jpg

Volt_battery.jpeg

Volt_Charging port.jpeg

2Volt1.jpeg

3Volt1.jpeg

Volt1.jpeg

2016_ChevyVolt.jpg

Volt_battery.jpeg

Volt_Charging port.jpeg

2Volt1.jpeg

3Volt1.jpeg

Volt1.jpeg

Volt Vs Cobalt

Volt $45,000

Cobalt $20,000

If you calculate it out and drive both at $3.50 per gallon it works out that you break even at 152,000 miles on the Volt, and that is if you never put gas in it. The only difference is you pay GM vs Shell... Then there is insurance which is more on the Volt...

Volt is a good idea, bad for practicality...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Volt haters on a GM forum.

The Volt makes one hell of a lot of sense for a lot of people. Electricity is way cheaper than gasoline and if you drive less than 40 miles a day you'll never need to buy gas, just pay about $20 a month in extra electricity costs. If you want to take a trip, just fill the tank and use it like a regular car and get 35-40MPG. The MSRP is under $40K before tax breaks and many people lease the car for very little more per month than a comparable Cruze.

Another thing to think about is the fact that running on electricity cuts down on emissions, so when you're in a congested city you're helping everyone breathe easier.

Volt owners also overwhelmingly LOVE their cars and many would never buy from GM if it weren't for the Volt. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not a viable product.

First, I will admit owning a volt or any EV would be really nice not to have to fill up my tank so often... I have no doubt that people that own them are very happy with them, and I hear that they are actually a very nice car. As you stated, people that own them probably love them. However, or I should say unfortunately, the price does not reflect the savings in a real world setting...

I get these letters in the mail from my power company and they have to be made by really stupid people, or the convince enough gullible people to really consider them to be worthwhile. Here are some examples that I get... "If you replace your TV with a new efficient TV it would save you $20 per year in electric bills." or "If you add thermal curtains to your windows it could save you $34 per year" and my favorite, "If you replace your windows it could save you $40 per year"

I have to look at the cost to savings ratio. If I pay $300 for a new TV I can save a whopping $20 per year? It would take me 15 YEARS to trade in my old 35" boob-tube to pay for my new TV that technically I did not "need".

The other illustrations are just as shameful with the curtains and windows, has anyone really looked at the price of good curtains, or to have windows replaced? Apparently not my power company! For crying out loud the price I would pay for new curtains or windows would be way above $1000 dollars, so again my savings really would not be savings, it would be spending. Ultimately it would take me longer to pay for my improvements than there is the likelihood that I will still be living there 15 or 20 years from now.

Poor people think this way, they think that buying something on sale saves them money... True, but only when you need it. I do not buy a new big screen TV because it went on sale, I buy it because I wanted it... I did not need it mind you. If you happen to be looking for a new TV and find one that will suit you that is on sale, GREAT! but don't be a fool and buy it "just because" it was a bargain.

The Volt is in the same category, you pay twice (2X) as much for a new Volt as you would a new Cruze. The Volt depreciates much faster than a Cruze, and it is not like you never have to put gas in it. Even if you spend only $20 per month, or even if you got power for free it would still take you 150,000 miles before you break even. Also the cost of license plates is Twice of that of a cruze, and the insurance is more than likely twice that of a cruze.

Some simple math... A Cruize costs $17,000 less than a Volt.

So what would $17,000 be good for

Gas @ $3.50 with a 30mpg car is $0.12 per mile

The number of miles it would take to recoup $17,000 = 145,714 miles

I did not look into leasing, if you want to get me some examples comparing the lease of a Volt vs Cruze I would be more than happy to crunch numbers...

And that was as if you never had to put gas into the Volt... I did not add up the $20/month to charge as you put it. Nor did I calculate the extra you pay for insurance and the extra in license plates.

Secondly, You mentioned that running on Electricity cuts down on emissions... Only at the car, it still takes the same amount of energy to power the car down the road (probably more because of the added weight) but you are only taking the emissions and putting them at the Coal Plant or the Natural Gas plant or the Nuclear Plant and not the tail pipe... So what you gain on the highway, you actually lose at the power plant, ultimately it is about a wash.

Not every purchase in life, especially automotive, is about the bottom dollar. When technology is new you pay more for it, but after some time it becomes cheaper. For many people the difference in payment between the two cars is narrowed because of it's cheaper operation. Let's also remember that maintenance is much less frequent on an EV or EREV.

As for emissions, yes, you move the emissions to the power plant and out of the tailpipe. On city streets with lots of pedestrian traffic this helps. Plus, if you are using renewable energy, such as wind, hydro or solar, there are zero emissions.

Like others have said, I personally don't see a point in an electric car that still uses gas that costs about 40k. I would rather buy another cruze Eco with a simple gas motor for 19k that has averaged 33.5 MPG... Built on the same platform as the volt and you don't look like an a-hole! IMO

Now if they could get this volt technology into a small Van or at least get it to a cheaper platform so It cost around 25-27k then you have a game changer

• 3 weeks later...

Since part of the steering system for the ZL1 Camaro came from the Volt, BOOM!! Volt is a justified place in the GM lineup! Discussion is over! LOL! But in truth the Volt helped to make cars like the ZL1 possible for GM to meet corporate gas mileage rules.

I hesitate to get involved here, but let's compare models a little more closely. You're using a stripped, bottom-of-the-line Cruise in your comparison. A 2LT Cruise Turbo would more closely match equipment and performance of the Volt. A 2014 2LT Cruise Turbo MSRP (with shipping) is $23,405. 2014 Volt MSRP (with shipping) is $34,995. If you can take advantage of tax credit, the difference in MSRP is $4,090. Of course, nobody pays MSRP, but I promise the Volt is not immune to discounting.

Archived