Exhaust with no drone?

I am going to take back my original claim of my CORSA SPORT being drone free. I recently have been doing a lot of highway driving and between 68-72 mph the drone is worse than at 75. It's like right around the 1750 rpm range that its worse. I am actually contemplating removing it. But I honestly don't do a lot of highway driving. Maybe 1 or 2 times a week at max. If I was driving on the highway everyday, I would have gone back to stock a long time ago.

This system sounds great when you get into the throttle and just driving around town, but it has gotten little to loud for my taste on the highway. And can cause a headache.

I wish Corsa made a touring version of this muffler. Might be better for highway driving.

Edited by fondupot

I am going to take back my original claim of my CORSA SPORT being drone free. I recently have been doing a lot of highway driving and between 68-72 mph the drone is worse than at 75. It's like right around the 1750 rpm range that its worse. I am actually contemplating removing it. But I honestly don't do a lot of highway driving. Maybe 1 or 2 times a week at max. If I was driving on the highway everyday, I would have gone back to stock a long time ago.

This system sounds great when you get into the throttle and just driving around town, but it has gotten little to loud for my taste on the highway. And can cause a headache.

I wish Corsa made a touring version of this muffler. Might be better for highway driving.

I did even with the V4 off. I did the muffler delete just to test it, didn't remove anything else. I went with an off brand flow thru muffler close to stock. They only way to get good sound is to go old school. That is true duals 2 1/4 tail pipes no cross over and long glass packs or thrush mufflers. The cross over pipe makes the drone, no separation. Ive been doing duals since the 70s on every thing, the first drone I had was on my 94 Impala SS, the first time my exhaust guy talk me into big pipes and a cross over. I like it quiet now so I stay just off stock for a little faint back ground sound.

I did even with the V4 off. I did the muffler delete just to test it, didn't remove anything else. I went with an off brand flow thru muffler close to stock. They only way to get good sound is to go old school. That is true duals 2 1/4 tail pipes no cross over and long glass packs or thrush mufflers. The cross over pipe makes the drone, no separation. Ive been doing duals since the 70s on every thing, the first drone I had was on my 94 Impala SS, the first time my exhaust guy talk me into big pipes and a cross over. I like it quiet now so I stay just off stock for a little faint back ground sound.

I have AFM turned off.

Edit: after speaking with Corsa about my droning, he said they actually have a new version of the Sport exhaust that is slightly less loud which is aimed to reduce the droning on the highway. I gotta check my serial number on my muffler to see if its the older version. Which I hope it is.

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently Corsa silently released a redesigned "sport" muffler. I contacted Corsa a few weeks ago asking if they were going to be releasing a "Touring" style muffler for 2014 trucks anytime soon, because I would be interested in it. Not that the current Corsa muffler I had was terribly bad. But it was louder than I wanted, and had a bit of drone at highway speeds excessive of 73-74-75.

Anyways, after a few back and forth emails with the Corsa folks, they said that the "Sport" system was redesigned using higher gauge stainless steel to reduce over volume, while still giving the truck a good growl. So I said, how do I get one of these, they said you can get one replaced on warranty. Now since I wasn't the original purchaser of my Corsa system (bought it slightly used off of a member here), I wasn't able to provide the original purchase receipt in my name, so I was SOL. Had to buy the new muffler. Cost $430 shipped, for the muffler only. No tubing. I would just reuse the current tubing I have.

So this weekend, I removed the original "Sport" muffler and installed the redesigned one. I am extremely pleased. Highway cruising is much more pleasant, while still having a noticeable grunt around town. That I loved from the original muffler. Made a video of it on my youtube page:

Not the best video, my stupid camera was rattling. I may have to find a way to get a better sound clip. The wind noise is picked up my the camera too, but you can hear the exhaust still.

I have some other videos on there too of the original muffler. For comparison.

But if anyone is on the fence about Corsa. Let me tell you the new muffler design is great, and it should clear up any reservations you might have had. I even tested the muffler with my stock ECM tune to hear how it was with AFM. It's not bad at all.

I do have the original muffler for sale, since Corsa mufflers alone (without tubing) are hard to come by. I figure someone can but it for cheaper than the entire system and have a muffler shop do the tubing for about half what it would cost to buy the system new. That for sale thread is in the for sale section of the forum.

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 3

So apparently Corsa silently released a redesigned "sport" muffler. I contacted Corsa a few weeks ago asking if they were going to be releasing a "Touring" style muffler for 2014 trucks anytime soon, because I would be interested in it. Not that the current Corsa muffler I had was terribly bad. But it was louder than I wanted, and had a bit of drone at highway speeds excessive of 73-74-75.

Anyways, after a few back and forth emails with the Corsa folks, they said that the "Sport" system was redesigned using higher gauge stainless steel to reduce over volume, while still giving the truck a good growl. So I said, how do I get one of these, they said you can get one replaced on warranty. Now since I wasn't the original purchaser of my Corsa system (bought it slightly used off of a member here), I wasn't able to provide the original purchase receipt in my name, so I was SOL. Had to buy the new muffler. Cost $430 shipped, for the muffler only. No tubing. I would just reuse the current tubing I have.

So this weekend, I removed the original "Sport" muffler and installed the redesigned one. I am extremely pleased. Highway cruising is much more pleasant, while still having a noticeable grunt around town. That I loved from the original muffler. Made a video of it on my youtube page:

Not the best video, my stupid camera was rattling. I may have to find a way to get a better sound clip. The wind noise is picked up my the camera too, but you can hear the exhaust still.

But if anyone is on the fence about Corsa. Let me tell you the new muffler design is great, and it should clear up any reservations you might have had. I even tested the muffler with my stock ECM tune to hear how it was with AFM. It's not bad at all.

I do have the original muffler for sale, since Corsa mufflers alone (without tubing) are hard to come by. I figure someone can but it for cheaper than the entire system and have a muffler shop do the tubing for about half what it would cost to buy the system new. That for sale thread is in the for sale section of the forum.

This is great news! I spoke with them twice about the highway drone and they said I could return it but I didn't want to since it's not too noticeable. I will have to reach back out for this new model!

This is great news! I spoke with them twice about the highway drone and they said I could return it but I didn't want to since it's not too noticeable. I will have to reach back out for this new model!

Yea like you said the original design is not that bad. My ears are just more sensitive than most people I guess. I'd guess 98 out of 100 people would say the original system was fine. Me and you being the 2 who were more picky. haha

Just curious but any way to tell the newly redesigned muffler from the old one?

Thinking I might order one here soon and want to make sure the one I get has the new version. Thanks.

Just curious but any way to tell the newly redesigned muffler from the old one?

Thinking I might order one here soon and want to make sure the one I get has the new version. Thanks.

It's a little bit heavier. But they look exactly the same. If you want to get the new version, order directly from Corsa. I dont know if the outside vendors like Autoanything will guarantee you getting one.

It's a little bit heavier. But they look exactly the same. If you want to get the new version, order directly from Corsa. I dont know if the outside vendors like Autoanything will guarantee you getting one.

Thanks...Good thought.

Glad you got it to your liking.

Edited by Newm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did the muffler delete and left the flapper and rezzy a few days ago and am slightly regretting the decision. Around town it sounds great but at highway speeds it drones pretty bad. Not just in V4 mode but when at about 1200-1800 rpms. It sounds like an extra subwoofer in the truck. It's pretty annoying. It noticeably shakes the truck.

I'm thinking about the 22" manga flow and leaving the flapper on. I drive too much highway to adapt to the sound, just trying to figure out what will get rid of that deep vibration I'm experiencing without anything in place right now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Just block the flapper open....and remember. Louder exhaust attracts attention...and some of it is from cops who like to write traffic tickets.

Edited by patriot